Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which PCP

Options
  • 05-04-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Toying with the idea if getting a PCP air rifle and saw two both AirArms a S410 classic in .17 and S410 xtra in .22 both second hand and 50 quid between them. Which would be the better all rounder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Toying with the idea if getting a PCP air rifle and saw two both AirArms a S410 classic in .17 and S410 xtra in .22 both second hand and 50 quid between them. Which would be the better all rounder

The 17 is flatter shooting but in fac power, it can over penetrate. 17 in sub 12 fpe makes more sense due to the flatter trajectory though.

The 22 is an excellent choice in fac power. I have an s410 xtra myself and with the option of adjustable power, it is very versatile. Also 22 has much wider pellet choice.

Mine runs at 30fpe with jsb jumbo heavy 18.13 gr pellets. Great fun to have the power when you want it.

Only downside to me is length, especially with a moderator. Although I don't use one much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

i also use a s410 extra in .22 with air arms 18 gr pellets made by jsb also running at around 30 fpe. only the newer model
    has adjustable power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

get the 22 - the .17 offers no advantages at unrestriced PCP power levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Thanks for the replies lads but I didn't buy the PCP I went with a Weihrauch HW97 in .22 instead.

Great rifle - will serve you very well - enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

good rifle, happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thanks for the replies lads but I didn't buy the PCP I went with a Weihrauch HW97 in .22 instead.

Very nice rifle, springers are great too and very tunable.

Should be around 18fpe so plenty of range for hunting with that.

Well ware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TombstoneT

Hi German Pointer,
    Good luck with your 97k. Just wondering what scope you put on it?

License hasn't come through yet but i have a Docter 2.5-10*48 with the DBA reticle that I'm going to try on it

hmmm... be sure to check that it's springer/ram rated - there's no quicker way to make ****e of a scope if it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TombstoneT

extremetaz wrote: »
    hmmm... be sure to check that it's springer/ram rated - there's no quicker way to make ****e of a scope if it isn't.

Hi Extremetaz,

At present I am deciding between a Hawke Panorama EV 3-9x40 AO IR and a Hawke Airmax EV 3-9x40 AO for my HW97k 18/ft/lb.I would prefer the Panorama due to it having the illum Reticle but I'm not sure if it would handle the recoil. It's advertised as 'Shockproof' - Tested on High Recoil Rifles. The Airmax is advertised as 'Spring Gun Rated'. Do they amount to the same thing or am I taking a chance? By the way I do have a DM60 Dampa mount.

Thanks,
    TombstoneT.

TombstoneT wrote: »
    ...Do they amount to the same thing...

Not strictly no - the recoil of a springer or a ram is very different from that of any rifle, and disproportionatly sharp.

Having said that, as far as I'm aware, all Hawke scopes are springer rated but a quick email to them will give you a definitive answer. ;)

I wrote to Docter the other day and am still waiting on them to come back to me with an answer on weather it is suitable or not but the sales pitch says

Features of Docter Classic 2.5-10x48 riflescope
    - Small dimensions
    - Shockproof construction for the hardest recoil
    - Nitrogen filled housing for low temperatures use (Fogproof)
    - Waterproof
    - Exceptional light transmission rate
    - FFP reticle (POI doesn’t move with magnification change)
    - Very high resolution right to the edge of the field of view
    - Fast focus eye-piece for diopter correction
    - 30 years warranty

In the mean time I also have a Bushnell 10X40 fixed mil mil Tactical turrets and Bushnell came back to me with the answer below when I asked about it and gave them the type and model of air rifle.

We do not test it on air rifles, but it should be ok
    Thanks
    Drew

Well, as far as the Bushnell goes, if they say it should be fine, then it should be fine so you could throw than on until you hear back from Docter in the least.

Advertisement