Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clay pigeon shooting

Options
  • 16-04-2015 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I'm thinking of taking up clay pigeon shooting. Can anyone advise on gaining a licence and best type of shot gun for this purpose.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

William you would be going for an under and over sporter for clays usually. If it's your first licence you will also need to do a proficiency course which the dealer should be able to offer you when you buy the gun or you should be able to find somewhere to do one locally.

Good Luck,

Mez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There is not one gun that we can say to you until you hold it, and see how comfortable it feels for you. Are you near any clay clubs or dealers who can let you try a few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I was in the army reserve before so I have some experience with rifles and pistols.

There's a couples of guns shops around. I was thinking of a pump action shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

William F wrote: »
    I was thinking of a pump action shotgun.

Shotguns that are designed for clay are generally double barrel guns, because most disciplines require you to shoot two clays parallel or in quick succession, or allow you to shoot twice at the same clay. Having to cycle a second round with a pump definitely doesn't make it easier. You can shoot clays with a pump, just as you can go offroad with a sports motorcycle.

So, you can shoot clays with any gun, but the recommendation is a double barrel (O/U) gun and a pump action is the last type of gun that would be recommended.

As homerhop said: Go to a shop/range (*coughs* hilltop *coughs*), they will be happy enough to let you try out different guns if you're interested in buying one. Or even better: Become a member of a club, try their club guns, and then after a while when you know what works for you get your own gun. You might want to become a member of a range anyway if you're going to shoot clays regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    Shotguns that are designed for clay are generally double barrel guns, because most disciplines require you to shoot two clays parallel or in quick succession, or allow you to shoot twice at the same clay. Having to cycle a second round with a pump definitely doesn't make it easier. You can shoot clays with a pump..........
    So, you can shoot clays with any gun, but the recommendation is a double barrel (O/U) gun and a pump action is the last type of gun that would be recommended.........

As a pump gun owner I absolutely agree with above, it can be done and is good crack but if your serious about clays you'll need a u/o.
    I would recommend a multi-choke sporter, this will give you the best of both worlds - clay and game.
    A pure game gun can be too light for frequent use on a clay ground. A trap gun can be heavy to lug about all day rough shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Also to note - some clay grounds are not fond of pump actions and semi's (Im a semi owner) Best to go with an o/u , no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

As above best type of gun(in my opinion the only type) is a double barrel, under/over with a single trigger. If you can try and get a Sporter or Trap model they're a little heavier than game guns so they swing more deliberately and also absorb recoil which is important. If you can find one I would recommend a Miroku as a very good gun to begin with, expect to pay between €800-€1500 for a second hand gun; they're a really strong gun, point well and certainly hold their value when you're more certain of your discipline and want to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Can anyone advise on ... best type of shot gun for this purpose.

William, will the shotgun be dedicated to trap and skeet or will you be doing: rough, upland, waterfowl, or other?

For a dedicated clay gun, I like the o/u. Take the safety off and it stays off.

Some of the other o/u's, like my Baikal, will reset the safety after breaking the action, as they are for the field.

Personally, I like: (1) an o/u for dedicated trap and skeet, (2) sxs for bird/upland, (3) the semi for general purposes and waterfowl.

Bringing a pump to the range is a definite handicap. I do so when trying to make a statement... ;) The statement - stop changing your chokes and learn how to shoot!

Go to a local RFD and shoulder a few shotguns. You might find a good deal on one or a firearm that just "fits."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I was in the army reserve before so I have some experience with rifles and pistols.

There's a couples of guns shops around. I was thinking of a pump action shotgun.

Being in the army reserve and having some experience with rifles and pistols. Is not the same as civilian shooting. The safety aspect is way more tightly controlled and you are expected to behave in a certain way when out shooting, i.e. carrying your gun broken or in a slip, not drawing the barrels accross someone, etc.....

If your a first time shooter your far better off with a O/U for clays, for a novice shooter there is less messing around with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

FISMA wrote: »
    William, will the shotgun be dedicated to trap and skeet or will you be doing: rough, upland, waterfowl, or other?

For a dedicated clay gun, I like the o/u. Take the safety off and it stays off.

Some of the other o/u's, like my Baikal, will reset the safety after breaking the action, as they are for the field.

Personally, I like: (1) an o/u for dedicated trap and skeet, (2) sxs for bird/uplad, (3) the semi for general purposes and waterfowl.

Bringing a pump to the range is a definite handicap. I do so when trying to make a statement... ;) The statement - stop changing your chokes and learn how to shoot!

Go to a local RFD and shoulder a few shotguns. You might find a good deal on one or a firearm that just "fits."

I'm a vegetarian so I won't be bringing home the dead prey.

How do I get the licence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Since you're going to shoot targets, this should be the complete list (someone correct me otherwise, but that's what I did anyway).

1) Become a member of a club/range.
    2) Acquire a proof of competence from said club/range.
    3) Buy the firearm of your choice. That means you agree to buy it, put down a deposit, and get a bill of sale. Make sure you would get the deposit back, should your firearm application be denied.
    4) Put security measures in place. Most likely this will mean you need to get a trigger lock, but there's no harm in getting a safe right away. You need to have security measures in place before you even know whether your application goes through or not (which makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?).
    5) Fill out the application form. I can't post links (grmbl), but if you google for "ireland firearms license form" it will be the first hit.

If you're buying your gun from a dealer, they'll probably help you with 5). There is also a good article that answers a few questions and walks you through the form. Again I can't post links. If you google for "How do I apply for a firearms licence 10point9" it'll be the first link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

How do I get the licence?

Perhaps, you missed the caption, in large, red, bold, font, on the shooting forum homepage that says "Firearms licensing information." It looks like this...

boards_zpskejaykcd.jpg

... If you click on the link, you will find, information about licensing firearms, hence the link name, Firearms Licensing Information.

Advertisement