Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Of living

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

As far as I can see, cost of living only relates to properties. if house prices are taken out of the equation, is the cost of living costs really any different across Ireland.

And yes I know a house is the main expense in a persons life, but with that out of the equation I dont see how living in Dublin is going to be any cheaper than anywhere else, or is cost of living all centred around property prices and rent.

Like if I were to live in Cork, its not as if when I go to the supermarket that suddenly things are going to be way cheaper than in Dublin, petrol prices are not going to suddenly drop that im in Cork, the butcher shop is not going to give me a discount cause im in Cork etc etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Shops do charge a bit more as there are higher rent prices
    Then there are things like how much you have to pay for transport on a day to day basis(in a smaller town/city walking may be an easier option).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Connavar wrote: »
    Shops do charge a bit more as there are higher rent prices
    Then there are things like how much you have to pay for transport on a day to day basis(in a smaller town/city walking may be an easier option).

but shops such as Aldi and Tesco surely have the same prices whether in Dublin or West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

but shops such as Aldi and Tesco surely have the same prices whether in Dublin or West Cork
    I suppose that is how big chains work. They level their prices across the country to account for the places that have a lower yield

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

As far as I can see, cost of living only relates to properties. if house prices are taken out of the equation, is the cost of living costs really any different across Ireland.

And yes I know a house is the main expense in a persons life, but with that out of the equation I dont see how living in Dublin is going to be any cheaper than anywhere else, or is cost of living all centred around property prices and rent.

Like if I were to live in Cork, its not as if when I go to the supermarket that suddenly things are going to be way cheaper than in Dublin, petrol prices are not going to suddenly drop that im in Cork, the butcher shop is not going to give me a discount cause im in Cork etc etc

Butcher much cheaper in Donegal than Kilkenny.
    Logs half the price in Donegal than Kilkenny.
    Prices in supermarkets differ too.
    Have lived in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I found in my case that the cost of living in Dublin was less expensive, when considered in comparison to rural areas the choice you have to shop around.

Pro: Dublin
    Cheaper Broadband - more competition/better options available
    Cheaper refuge charges, recycling bin options etc.
    Heating – more options available to your door, e.g. gas
    Electricity – urban rates are cheaper + extra discounts if tied in with Gas
    Car not a necessity – Public transport and most things within walking distance if living in the city centre
    Travelling abroad – airport is closer and less expensive to get to
    Oddly enough – I found butchers a little cheaper in Dublin
    Sea food – cheaper + more choice
    No cryptosporidium

Rural:Pro
    Supermarkets – little cheaper
    Pints – a lot cheaper
    Property Tax
    Eating out – cheaper in like for like places
    Cheaper car insurance
    Water charges – easier to avoid legally with having a well and septic tank

A lot of things though wouldn't be relevant to other people, having the need for a car is the biggest difference to my pocket since moving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can think of a few reasons as to why things might be pricier in Dublin. On the one hand, businesses may face higher costs in Dublin, which pushes up the prices they must charge in order to break even. On the other hand, people in Dublin, because on average they probably get paid more than the national average, may be willing to pay more money for things. This allows shops to charge higher prices.

For example in relation to costs:
    1) Businesses such as hairdressers plausibly pay higher rents in Dublin, and as a result may charge more.
    2) Businesses in Dublin may have to pay employees more since the cost of living (rent) is higher, and charge more as a result.
    3) Businesses in Dublin may face an undersupply of some workers, which other parts of the country dont face. For example (and I've NO idea if this is true), during the (Dublin centric) property boom, many unskilled people went into construction/labouring, and were paid well. In order to attract similarly (un)skilled workers for service jobs, perhaps shops started to pay service staff more. This may lead them to increase prices. This'd be an interesting one to research. Anyway, I'm just using it as an example of the kind of thing which can happen.

In relation to demand, it's a bit simpler. If, on average, people in Dublin have more disposable income (which they probably do), then the market for things will sustain a higher average price. Shops will charge more because they know people have the money.

Since I rarely visit 'the country' I'm not sure which products actually are cheaper, but I've heard that pints, for example, are much cheaper outside Dublin. This might even apply to chains. For example, I'm almost certain that a Big Mac on Grafton street, and in Dublin, costs a lot more than a Big Mac elsewhere.

Advertisement