Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the bishops should be charged for facilitating paedophile priests?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I certainly do. And there is legislation to do it.

From the Criminal Law Act 1997
    Penalties for assisting offenders.
    7. - (1) Any person who aids, abets, counsels or procures the commission of an indictable offence shall be liable to be indicted, tried and punished as a principal offender
    (2) Where a person has committed an arrestable offence, any other person who, knowing or believing him or her to be guilty of the offence or of some other arrestable offence, does without reasonable excuse any act with intent to impede his or her apprehension or prosecution shall be guilty of an offence.
    (3) If, upon the trial on indictment of an arrestable offence, it is proved that the offence charged, or some other offence of which the accused might on that charge be found guilty, was committed but it is not proved that the accused was guilty of it, the accused may be found guilty of an offence under subsection (2) of which it is proved that he or she is guilty in relation to the offence charged, or that other offence.
    (4) A person committing an offence under subsection (2) with intent to impede another person's apprehension or prosecution shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment according to the gravity of the offence that the other person has committed or attempted to commit, as follows:
    (a) if that offence is one for which the sentence is fixed by law, or for which the maximum sentence is imprisonment for life, he or she shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years;
    (b) if it is one for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term of fourteen years, he or she shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years;
    (c) If it is not one included in paragraph (a) or (b) but is one for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term of ten years, he or she shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years;
    (d) in any other case, lie or she shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years.

Note sections (2) and (4). So as far as I can see the bishops are guilty of offences themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone who facilitated should be Hung drawn and quartered. :p

We need the equivilant of the Nurenbourg trial. It will cost money but this should all come out of the Catholic Church as they have more money than than this state put together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Of course. They allowed it happen. A Spanish inquisition is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

blinding wrote: »
    YES

id normally just hit thanks, but in this case id like to say "this"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

They should be but this is Ireland, if you're in position of power you are untouchable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bSlick wrote: »
    They should be but this is Ireland, if you're in position of power you are untouchable.

so lets take them out of their position of power by leaving the catholic church if youre not a believer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

<generic anti-pedophile reply>LETS SLIT THE THROATS OF ALL PEDOPHILES AND ANYONE WHO FACILITATES A PEDIO AND ANYONE WHO IS RELATED TO A PEDO AND ANYONE WHO KNOWS A PEDO IRL AND THEN LETS NUKE THEM ALL FROM ORBIT AND OWN THOSE MOTEHRBITCHES CAUSE THEY ARE SICK AS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUKC</generic anti-pedophile reply>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

Sheeps wrote: »
    <generic anti-pedophile reply>LETS SLIT THE THROATS OF ALL PEDOPHILES AND ANYONE WHO FACILITATES A PEDIO AND ANYONE WHO IS RELATED TO A PEDO AND ANYONE WHO KNOWS A PEDO IRL AND THEN LETS NUKE THEM ALL FROM ORBIT AND OWN THOSE MOTEHRBITCHES CAUSE THEY ARE SICK AS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUKC</generic anti-pedophile reply>

Yeah, and people like you taking the piss isn't going to deter me from saying that I'd physically assault every one of them to the point of needing medical treatment.
    This is one thing I hate about the Ireland of today; you have to question every opinion you may have and you can't say anything without someone, usually somebody who has been brought up in a comfortable household, giving you a philosophical rant about how you're wrong..be it about pedophiles, capital punishment, travellers, immigrants...anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I certainly do. And there is legislation to do it.

From the Criminal Law Act 1997

Note sections (2) and (4). So as far as I can see the bishops are guilty of offences themselves.

Yes, those involved in raping children, and those who facilitated the raping of children
    MUST BE PUNISHED
    and chemically castrated, not just the rapists, but the facilitators too.
    SEND THE BIG MESSAGE

And it is critically important that an Irish judge is not allowed to ~use his corrupted discretion~

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, and people like you taking the piss isn't going to deter me from saying that I'd physically assault every one of them to the point of needing medical treatment.
    This is one thing I hate about the Ireland of today; you have to question every opinion you may have and you can't say anything without someone, usually somebody who has been brought up in a comfortable household, giving you a philosophical rant about how you're wrong..be it about pedophiles, capital punishment, travellers, immigrants...anything.

I'd avoid AH then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement