Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coin counting - do banks charge for this?

• 27-11-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Ok, so here's the deal.

I have about 60 quid in coins, 1c up to €2 in the mix.

I know there's about 60 quid there as I have one of those digital coin counter money boxes.

Now I can either go to one of those coin machines (if there are any in Galway city?) but I know they charge 10%, OR I can try & bag it up and take it in to the bank.

Problem is, I'm going to be short on the bigger value coins to fill the bags - i.e. not enough 5cs to make a fiver etc.

Can I just put all the coins in to their own individual bags (so say for example 323 x 1c coins in one bag, 211 x 2c coins in the next etc. ) & take them in to the bank? If I can, will I be charged a commission for doing it? I dont feel as if banks will accept the money this way in any case but just wanted to ask.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

AFAIK the banks don't charge as long as you have them in the right bags, they wont accept them otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Where do you get a digital coin counter money box?????????????/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No they don't but they hate it :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you fill the bags properly they dont need to count them.

They just weigh the bags.

I doubt even the banks would charge or this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

buzz55 wrote: »
    Problem is, I'm going to be short on the bigger value coins to fill the bags - i.e. not enough 5cs to make a fiver etc.

you're obviously not a civil servant if you think a 5c coin is valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wish they would charge for it, nothing worse than someone in front of you at the teller with several bags of cash. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wish they would charge for it, nothing worse than someone in front of you at the teller with several bags of cash. :mad:

Didn't think you'd be seen in a bank, hard to live off the grid when you have a bank account and use it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

oops, what I meant to put was not enough €2 to fill the required amount etc - lol :D

I got the digital coin counter in Dunnes - fairly accurate but not 100%.

Will they accept bags that do not have the full quota - example 5 euro worth of 5cs as stated on the front of the bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

TaDaaaa

Looks like such a Dragons Den product :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't go over the specified amount for each coin. If you don't fill a bag just write the amount in it on the bag and they can still weigh it for accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

na, mine looks just like a plastic tub with a pink lid on it, cost a tenner - nothing as fancy as your link wazdakka :)

cheers Macros42, I'll do that.

thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The banks do charge for change services it just has a limit first. They charge businesses for change services both back and forth. For a personal account they do not AFAIK but they have a limit which varies bank to bank. It would be unusual for a bank to quibble and charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Banks will only accept change in the correct amount per coin per bag. eg €1 in 1c coin, €5 in 5c coin, €10 in 10c or 20c coin etc.
    They won't take random change amounts.
    Maybe try an amusement arcade, for the non-standard amounts? Or any corner shop, they usually love to get change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Pubs. They love change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Insurgent wrote: »
    Pubs. They love change.

As long as it's not changing their prices for lower prices.

Eh? Eh? Eh?

No?

No.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

balls..I've a full jar of coins to count at home...good for about €200 anyway...
    I just hate counting it though...
    Must start with the €2 and €1 coins now again....used to get about €400-€500 out of it 3 times a year or so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Count it all up and lodge it to your account, they cant say say **** then. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Wouldn't it be great if ATMs took change?
    I rarely use banks, but if one had this feature i'd use it in a heartbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It'd be great if ATMs had systems like those self scanners at Tesco and allow immediate lodging without having to queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Banks will charge you for converting change over €100 - I think its a fiver or something.

Suppose someone has to pay for the Fat Catnip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Banks will charge you for converting change over €100 - I think its a fiver or something.

Suppose someone has to pay for the Fat Catnip
    Suppose someone has to pay for the teller to count the change and the electricity and rent. Those damn evil banks charging for a service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pubs. They love change.

Just as long as you're a regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

AFAIK there's no charge if you lodge it into your account.

Also someone told me that Tesco's have change counting machines which have no charge/commission if you swap it for Tesco's vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

You could always buy some stuff in a supermarket with self service tills and pay with coins (start with smallest coins first)

Handy hint: Dont go in when the place is busy or you will be murdered by one of the nineteen people in the queue behind you without any of the eighteen witnesses seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It'd be great if ATMs had systems like those self scanners at Tesco and allow immediate lodging without having to queue.

I'd save so much money, every time you pass an ATM you could throw in a few euro. I'd even pay 1% or 2% for this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

They won't directly charge you for it, but some banks require you to be a customer so they can track the coin. Some banks won't take coin if you don't put in the effort to count it and put it in bags proparly. Go in with a big bag and expect them to count... be prepared to be dissapointed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Pubs. They love change.

As does Obama.

And the homeless, they're crying out for chaaaaange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

rcdk1 wrote: »
    AFAIK there's no charge if you lodge it into your account.

Also someone told me that Tesco's have change counting machines which have no charge/commission if you swap it for Tesco's vouchers.

And even the ones that do, the commission is only about 7.5%. I hit the one up in the local centra with couch change/coppers once a month, usually come out with like 40+ euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'll give you a "€20" note for the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

jimi_t wrote: »
    And even the ones that do, the commission is only about 7.5%. I hit the one up in the local centra with couch change/coppers once a month, usually come out with like 40+ euro.

Give me a go of your couch! :pac:

Advertisement