Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public transport..your horror stories

• 20-11-2009 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I thought id ask the question as every time i use the bus something happens so post your stories.

Twice in a roe one night after the other i took a bus from the university gym to town..about 25-30 mins drive..wrecked after a good gyming secession a load of students walked onto the bus drunk (the university bar is there)..place was packed out, people standing by the door, they were shouting at the top of their lungs drinking cans, bottols of wine, smoking, rolling joints, hitting the windows and banging the ground to the chants they were singing..i was the only sober peoson there, the lads at the back were throwing this guy up and hitting him off the roof..while a couple americans were taking pics of all the comotion..it was absolute chaos!

this was taken from the very route im on about

another time i was heading home and a rock hit the window i was sitting on and had shattered but not completely broke the window..if it was any bigger i would have gone straight through the window and either killing me or seriously damaging my cheek bone

another time i was on the bus a group of girls hopped on, (only 4or5 pm) they couldnt have been more than 15, they stank of booze and after bout 5 mins of them being on the bus one of them puked into their hand, by the end of the journey there was a 20 foot trail of sick running all the way to the back of the bus

iv so many more, so many times i get on and something happens..so stupid..i absolutely HATE public transport!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Fuckin' students? Bag of shite...

/Paul Calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Found the problem OP, you live in Limerick :pac:

On topic, I havent had many incidents, lemme try think of some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I once traveled on a bus.

It was sh1t.

The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well I have asthma, and cold air tends to set me off. So I got on the bus heading into town and some ****er lights up. I told the bus driver but he wasn't interested.

Anyway, my Ventolin wasn't working and I was wheezing like a camel and required an ambulance. Wasn't a good night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

First time I got the train on my own, July 2007 - I was 13. A few weeks after the bombs in London.

An Asian bloke got on, big rucksack. Took out the Koran; and, I swear, started reading it outloud.

I moved carriages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Assh0le bus driver who accused me of paying 25c out of a €1.50 fare despite me being 100% positive I put in €1.50. Apparently I was barred from the bus :rolleyes:, Too bad I use the bus every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Sitting close to smelly hobos and/or junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Ah, the Thursday night 308...I too have been on that sober - scary stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't do public transport. Mainly because there isn't any where I live, but also partly because I hate the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I don't do public transport. Mainly because there isn't any where I live, but also partly because I hate the general public.
    Ditto. Bloody proles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I saw a guy come on the train with a machete once and he started banging all the windows trying to get someone to say something to him.
    Luckily the Guards came on at the next stop and took him off before he did anything :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

falling down the stairs of the bus when i was 5......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

brummytom wrote: »
    First time I got the train on my own, July 2007 - I was 13. A few weeks after the bombs in London.

An Asian bloke got on, big rucksack. Took out the Koran; and, I swear, started reading it outloud.

I moved carriages
    reminds me of the radio in gta 4......best laugh ever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Busses are for people who cant buy bicycles, really is the lowest of the low, no wonder there are so many smelly hobos on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

FearDark wrote: »
    Busses are for people who cant buy bicycles, really is the lowest of the low, no wonder there are so many smelly hobos on it.

Cyclists are just hobos on wheels who smell of sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

There was the time they had to call the guards onto the bus to wrestle a nut off.

The time the same nut spat on a guy for no apparent reason, tried to start a fight with a ten year old, then mooned the entire bus.

The time I watched an overweight drunk couple, canoodling.

The time I was sat next to the smelly murderer.

The time the girl sitting behind me was talking about
    - electrodes in her brain and an eminent war
    - murderers having to kill themselves and their families.
    - hanging black people by their ***** on a skewer
    - about how old architecture was great while staring at a galvanised shed and saying what a nice building it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Nuggles wrote: »
    ...they had to call the guards onto the bus to wrestle a nut off....

Painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Strung-out junky threatening to vomit on a pregnant African lady who was claiming her waters just broke.

Or the time the junky went and shat himself.

The 78a is full of fun. And heroin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I was on a bus where someone was stabbed, another where a woman was beaten and was offered crack and that was just one route from Eden Quay.

A guy attempted to mug me at a bus stop once on Thomas St but he was so out of it he passed out and fell over.

I was on a train where part of the carraige fell off it was that old.

I was puked on on a train once.

I missed a job interview due to a train being so late and stopping for an unexplained reason for 20 minutes.

When on crutches an old bit*h kicked me in the leg for not giving up my seat for her, aparently I had four legs so I should be standing according to her. Fortunatly she kicked the edge of the brace and it hurt her way more that it hurt me.

So in short, I hate public transport but I am sometimes stuck using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ah, was enjoying that up to the point they started singing thr fecing national anthemy.

Nice blone 48 seconds in - (20 odd posts in and no-one's pointed that out yet..? AH Standards are slipping)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Feckin amateurs.
    Were the police called? No.
    Did it make the papers? No.

(last 30 seconds)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I just saw ItsallabouttheL on the first video in the OP!!!! Fcukin chav he is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I saw one guy cleaning the windows on a bus with a little piece of tissue and a lot of spit.

I never rested my head on a bus window again after that one.

Ewwwwww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

A bunch of gang members tried robbing the bus and during the struggle the bus went over a cliff. A dutch fella was shot and 2 Hondurans killed in the plunge. Irish buses are a breeze compared to the stuff on foreign ones.

Yeah, but . . . spitty head. . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

I was once bringing a top bk to the shop when a little chinese baby projectile vomited right into my shopping bag.... that was the end of getting my money bk for that. Little b!tch :(:(

I have had to use the bus a lot for long journeys and its basically ppl's lack of personal hygiene that is disgusting!!! Why do some ppl have an aversion to washing?? And im talking both foreign and Irish. Its no fun being stuck beside a sweaty guy for 2 and a half hours!

Then of course you have the weirdo's/pervs who see a girl sitting by herself and come and try it on... they are sorry in the end though when it turns out im not as shy as i look and i tear strips off them, their all :eek::eek::eek:

My friend was once stuck beside a foreigner who started chanting every hour on the hour, LOL!! She was morto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

not a horror story bu just weird...

i was sitting upstairs down the back and this black man gets on and sits down the back on the opposite side and oua nowere he gets on his knees and puts his elows on the seats ad starts praying..i was like :confused: he was like that for like 2 minutes...strange

also why do old men pick everything they see on the ground up and keep it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

On a bus in Dublin late one night a guy got on, looked OK but half way through my journey he threw up and I mean threw up - how could one person contain so much vomit?? it was sloshing around the bus floor like those floods over in Galway. Then he just stood up and got off at the next stop. That's when I decided to buy a car ...

I knew a guy years ago who worked as a conductor (remember them?) on some of the west Dublin routes and yes he had plenty of scary stories.
    Like "Fare please?" "Oh you have a big knife, well you don't need a ticket so much then ..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

A bunch of gang members tried robbing the bus and during the struggle the bus went over a cliff. A dutch fella was shot and 2 Hondurans killed in the plunge. Irish buses are a breeze compared to the stuff on foreign ones.

Or in America where the driver had to keep the bus over 50mph or it would blow up ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Being forced to sit right at the front of the bus one time due to it being packed and watching in utter horror as the driver proceeded to count the float in the change machine thing while alternately steering with his knees or elbows. We came close to crashing several times.

Being on the Tube in London at like midnight coming back from Soho Bar in Fulham (Come on The Blues!!!), and being alone in the carriage. At Parson's Green stop, a bunch of what looked like Muslim fundamentalists got on. They never stopped glaring at me the whole journey. I was pretty well oiled, but I swear, they kept this absolutely hate-filled gaze pinned on me the whole journey and I was sure that I was dead meat. I bailed off the Tube at the next station and waited for the next one to come along!

Or on our very own LUAS, being accosted by a fúcking junkie looking for ''a bitta change, bud''. I was in no humour (Chelsea had just lost to Man United, so I was pissy). I told him that I'd no change. ''Give us your fookin walle' then''. Thankfully the doors just opened at the Cowper stop... I legged it and didn't stop running until I had hailed a cab and got home safe. Still hate getting the LUAS to this day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

On the tube in London after a very heavy night out with one of my mates (rest of them had headed off to do shopping) we were on our way back to the pub.

This was 2 weeks after the London bombings.

Suddenly the tube screeches to a halt halfway out of a station and a load of armed police rush onto the platform and into the tube.

Turns out some dosey bint had forgotten her handbag and hit an emergency button.

Seriously thought I was gonna die that day, the faces on the police were scary, I am sure they would have had no problem shooting. Waving the guns in our faces, they didn't know what had happened.

The 2 of us just sat there in fear, nearly had to text the lads to get me new pants from the shops ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Was trying to get across O'Connell Street on the LUAS there a few weeks back.

We didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

public buses are one of the lowest forms of transport.
    only joyriding is below it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Probably was one of the times I was on the Enterprise train down from the north. I take it from Newry station and the the train was already about an hour late arriving into Newry. I got onto the train and sat down and a few minutes later, a group of lads who were going to a Metallica concert in Dublin sat down at the seats just in front of me.

They were drinking and having the craic and in fairness, while they were loud, they weren't abusive or hassling people so that was grand.

Anyway I can't remember exactly if it was just before or just after Dundalk, but the train broke down. This was June as well. I don't know if anyone here has been on that train but it's all electronics etc. After a while the electric cut out and the windows are sealed so they couldn't be opened to let air in. The doors weren't opened either. As the power was cut, the toilets stopped working as well. I had to go myself (not very badly though) so I held it, but I heard horror stories from other one's on the train saying how the toilets were overflowing etc.

The train sat there for at least an hour, possibly two. Eventually they sent some other engine to take us the rest of the way. The stupid thing was that we got into Drogheda, took on more passengers then about half way between Drogheda and Dublin, they kicked us off (at Donabate I think). Apparently the driver wasn't happy to continue for safety reasons or something. So we all got off at Donabate, waited for another train to come along, got onto it and followed the Enterprise the whole way into Dublin. I found this strange as Drogheda has several tracks so surely they could have had us get off there and onto another train, rather than have us follow the dodgy train the whole way to Dublin.

Total nightmare journey. From Newry to Dublin on that train usually takes about 1hr and 15 minutes. That day it took us 5 hours with all the delays added in. The train was due to leave Newry about 11.15am. I remember checking my watch when I got into Dublin and it was after 4pm.

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

some more stories,

i was getting the bus from the city centre to castletroy (university) in Limerick when about 7 or 8 romanian gypsies skipped the queue, the queue was fairly long as it was a filled bus, they held up everyone claiming they were under age and wanted a student discount eventhough they were clearly in their late 30s early 40s, everyone was on the bus at this stage and they continued to hassle the driver, after about 5 mins some guy shouted 'oi, get the fu*k off the bus', so they finally payed..stood beside every person in the bus handing them a card which said something like

'hello, i hope you are having a nice afternoon'

then i said fuc* that, read the last line and it said 'thankyou for your donation'

so i looked at her and said no! so she continued to go to other people, along with her friends..made me sick, iv seen them begging on busses with the change in an empty fizzy drink carton

they're actually cutting back on the bus fleet and bus times in Limerick due to vandalism, Limerick is supposed to have the least amount of busses per head of population than any other city in the country. bus eireann said that the traffic in the city is so bad and the vandalism to the busses is so bad that they're making a loss. now theres only 2 routes in the city that go after 7pm, which basically leaves the city without public transport!

another reason why i hate public transport, i waited for a bus for an hour and 10 minutes, it took 35 minutes to get from the stop to town (only about a mile and a half away) and waited 35 minutes in town to get the bus home, this is not right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Nuggles wrote: »
    There was the time they had to call the guards onto the bus to wrestle a nut off.

Should have used some WD40 and a socket wrench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    I thought id ask the question as every time i use the bus something happens so post your stories.

another time i was heading home and a rock hit the window i was sitting on

There's your problem right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gav_neonstars

I have way too many horror stories that involve buses.. Luckily i got a car when i was 18 and haven't been on one since!

One such event was a good few years ago. I was around 16 going to rugby training on the king of scum buses the 77. Anyhoo it was a hot Thursday evening and i got on around 6 o clock. I went upstairs with the rest of the lads and sat down near the stairs (to go down the back of a 77 is asking for trouble!) We noticed two scaldy looking junkies down the back skagged off they'r faces down the back (it being Thursday and all.. heroin day!) and thought nothing of it.

10 or 15 minutes later we hear this groaning noise coming from behind us and a nasty smell. I looked back and saw an image that has been burned into my retina's ever since that faithful day. There was the big fat horrible junkie whore with her tracksuit bottoms around he ankles jumping up and down on the other lad in the center seat.. you could see EVERYTHING..and the squelching sound has haunted me ever scince..I almost vomited. The dude was going 'awww mannnn thatttsss bleeeeedin deadddly that iss'

With that we burst out laughing and pointing. Her reply (in the most skangery junkie accent you could imagine) .. 'Fuuucckk ooooff yaa littuull wannkkurrss.. yizz arrrr onlyy jealoussss!'...

I can assure you love.. we wernt ..

Thanks be to Allah that our stop was next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Think everyone has experienced the volatile drunks and nut cases that think they've special powers at some point

My incidents normally started at the bus stop after getting off
    lil' groups of kna***rs trying to start fights when they saw me on my own

I'd be on my way home from work or college and I had to keep a torque wrench in easy reach from my work bag to ward them off

I hate the things - I used have to get 4 busses a day till I started driving

by car I live 5 miles from work

by bus: 1hr going to
    90 mins home if I finished at 9pm
    2 hours if I finished at 5pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

***DISCLAIMER*** This is not my story... it was else where on Boards.ie but im a bit lazy right now to find it :P

Anyway on a bus going down the quays in Dublin City (right around the time of the U2 Concerts in Croke Park) we were heading down Wellington Key past the Clearance Hotel when a couple of men in suits were getting out of a dark car. Then as we were passing by a guy on the bus got up and shouted out the windows " BONO ! PAY SOME TAXES !!! ". Then when he sat back down he took out a cornetto :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

I have way too many horror stories that involve buses.. Luckily i got a car when i was 18 and haven't been on one since!

One such event was a good few years ago. I was around 16 going to rugby training on the king of scum buses the 77. Anyhoo it was a hot Thursday evening and i got on around 6 o clock. I went upstairs with the rest of the lads and sat down near the stairs (to go down the back of a 77 is asking for trouble!) We noticed two scaldy looking junkies down the back skagged off they'r faces down the back (it being Thursday and all.. heroin day!) and thought nothing of it.

10 or 15 minutes later we hear this groaning noise coming from behind us and a nasty smell. I looked back and saw an image that has been burned into my retina's ever since that faithful day. There was the big fat horrible junkie whore with her tracksuit bottoms around he ankles jumping up and down on the other lad in the center seat.. you could see EVERYTHING..and the squelching sound has haunted me ever scince..I almost vomited. The dude was going 'awww mannnn thatttsss bleeeeedin deadddly that iss'

With that we burst out laughing and pointing. Her reply (in the most skangery junkie accent you could imagine) .. 'Fuuucckk ooooff yaa littuull wannkkurrss.. yizz arrrr onlyy jealoussss!'...

I can assure you love.. we wernt ..

Thanks be to Allah that our stop was next!

LMAO!!! Don't lie you took pics and then went home and had a party with your left hand!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

baalthor wrote: »
    Or in America where the driver had to keep the bus over 50mph or it would blow up ..

Well at least they have super cops and stunt driver passengers over there. In Honduras i think the cops were the robbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Well there was a funny one on the 65 out of Dub one time. Bunch of natives got on the bus at the Spawell and proceeded to scream and kick and shout, abusing everyone. They obviously didn't cop the change in route that the bus driver took through the industrial area around the Square, cause they were caught offguard when the bus driver drove into the Garda station parking lot. Smart fucker must have radio'd ahead and all cause there was a bunch of Garda waiting to drag the little bastards off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ive had a few bad public transport journeys.

one would be getting the 6pm bus from belfast to dublin. the driver was from cork and didnt know the way. a few times he took wrong exits off the motorway then had to turn around.
    at first it was funny everyone had a giggle but then everyone realised this guy hadnt a clue and the trip was taking longer and longer as he took more wrong exits and drove around towns lost.

people were actually shouting at him from their seats at one stage.

it was the bus that stopped at dublin airport and so id say alot of people were late for their plane.

we would have expected to get in not long after 8 to dublin. it was 10 when we did.

another was getting the dart to work one morning. i got on the carraige and could see alot of people were wafting newspapers in thier face which was strange cos it wasnt that warm. then the smell hit me. it was awful. its was as if i was in the person who farted/crapped themselves underwear. the smell was so dense. people were talking to strangers about how bad the smell was. the whole carraige was full of the smell. it was one of the darts that you cant open the window on.

i had to change carraige at the next stop as i didnt want the smell sticking to my clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

not really a horror story but anyway i got a bus into town today,

51B at about 9ish and half way through the journey a guy got on,(i know i know just wait !)

the bus was fairly packed but there were spare seats left at the back where you face backwards, so the guy sat there, after staring at two people in the corner for about 5 mins he took out a pencil and sharpened it there and then and the shavings went on the floor :pac:

after that he took out a notebook kinda thing and started drawing the two people seating in the corner !!!

he was actually very talented too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

robbie_998 wrote: »
    not really a horror story but anyway i got a bus into town today,

51B at about 9ish and half way through the journey a guy got on,(i know i know just wait !)

the bus was fairly packed but there were spare seats left at the back where you face backwards, so the guy sat there, after staring at two people in the corner for about 5 mins he took out a pencil and sharpened it there and then and the shavings went on the floor :pac:

after that he took out a notebook kinda thing and started drawing the two people seating in the corner !!!

he was actually very talented too :eek:
    He's an artist on a bus and hes talented?
    The horror :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

baalthor wrote: »

I think it was called 'The Bus That Wouldn't Slow Down'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I don't use buses. Four reasons;

1. I haven't a clue how to work out the cost of each journey. It's not stated anywhere on the bus.

2. When you ask the bus driver how much the fare is, they give you that 'Are you stupid?' look and stare at you without answering.

3. You don't give any change, but instead a ticket which you can hand in at some location to get your 20c change. Of course, you probably have to get a bus to this location in the first place which will cost more than the 20c. Greatest money making racket I've ever seen.

4. I drive a motorbike.

Trains are ok to use. Though on sundays they run just 3-4 times per day on some routes which is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A junkie on the No. 4 projectiling a mixture of vomit and blood... window, side, seat, floor it was everywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement