Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell battery issue

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Noticed last night the battery was only giving about an hour or so.
    Today the battery led is flashing orange even at fully charged and plugged in.
    Is it just telling me my battery is very weak? Are they easily replaced
    or typically with dell, about 150 euro!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It sounds like you need a new battery. You should be able to get a battery off ebay for a decent price. Make sure you buy off someone with good feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

It sounds like you need a new battery. You should be able to get a battery off ebay for a decent price. Make sure you buy off someone with good feedback though.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You'll pick up a compatible batteyr on ebay for cheap enough. Dell like to charge through the nose for consumables so I would avid ordering direct from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If you are using your laptop on battery a lot it wont last. I think i read on the Dell site that you can expect it to last about 300-400 charge/discharge cycles before it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I posted a question on the battery a while ago, didn't get any replies though. Anyone know the answer to this? :

Hi,
    I'm just wondering can anyone give me advice on how best to set the power options so the battery isn't in use when I have the laptop plugged in, unless of course it needs to be charged, if possible?

With my old laptop, I bought it and I got maybe 90 minutes or so out of the battery, after 2 years, that dropped to 20 mins max on the lowest settings. I never really used the battery all that much, but I would have it plugged in and out quite a lot.

I got a new laptop recently and don't want the same to happen. It's on about 3 hours now from a full charge and I want to keep it that way. I'll have it plugged in more than not and I don't want this to effect the battery in any way unless it actually needs to be charged.

I know that with batteries in general, you should use the full battery, as in full discharge, full charge. If you charge it mostly after it's only half empty and keep this up, then the bottom half of the battery gets unused and will lose longevity so something to combat that would be great

• Advertisement

You should keep it plugged in all the time when you can as the laptop should automatically transfer over to AC power when the battery is fully charged. This will extend the life of your battery.

TBH 2 years is a good life for a laptop battery if you use it a lot on battery alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

baterys will naturally discharge, even wihtout use, so if you leave the battery conected while the laptop is plugged in it will constantly drop to 99% and then recharge.
    this will shorten the life cycle of the battery dramtically.

if its going to be on mains power you should fully discharge the battery and remove it, store it in a dry place, with a few silica bags, that should extend the life of it.

however if you are going to be actualy using it as a laptop you wil just have to accept that the battery is going to get worse over time.

i get a good charge out of my battery (2years old, 1h 30 mins or so) by always unplugging when it gets to 100% and allowing it to almost fully discharge before plugging back in.
    i expect that the battery will die quickly one day rather than slowly fading away.

subway wrote: »
    baterys will naturally discharge, even wihtout use, so if you leave the battery conected while the laptop is plugged in it will constantly drop to 99% and then recharge.
    this will shorten the life cycle of the battery dramtically..

I have my laptop docked everyday for 9 hours minimum. It shows as being on AC power all the time and the life of the battery has not shortened dramatically after about a year (4 hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Exactly... leaving any battery device plugged in will degrade it. Mobile phones are another example.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I have my laptop docked everyday for 9 hours minimum. It shows as being on AC power all the time and the life of the battery has not shortened dramatically after about a year (4 hours).
    i think you must just be lucky.

• Advertisement

I dont think so. As far as I recall Dell recommend that you leave your laptop plugged in to extend the battery life (not the other way around?).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,049 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

subway wrote: »
    this will shorten the life cycle of the battery dramtically.

if its going to be on mains power you should fully discharge the battery and remove it, store it in a dry place, with a few silica bags, that should extend the life of it.

however if you are going to be actualy using it as a laptop you wil just have to accept that the battery is going to get worse over time.

i get a good charge out of my battery (2years old, 1h 30 mins or so) by always unplugging when it gets to 100% and allowing it to almost fully discharge before plugging back in.
    i expect that the battery will die quickly one day rather than slowly fading away.

There's no need discharge a laptop battery just for the sake of it.

If you really want to help your battery, remove it from the laptop when its charged and you are use the laptop on ac power, and only use the battery when you have to. I don't do this, because it's not worth the hassle and i don't think there will be that much life gained.

Also a hot laptop isn't great for a battery.

Assuming a device is any way decent (safe for sale) there should not be a problem with charging your phone or laptop when ever you want without putting any extra stress on the (li-ion) battery. This does not apply to NiMH and NiCad of some older phones, laptops

this has a guide for li-ion batteries
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm

There is no memory effect for li-ion so no need for for discharges, sometimes however the electronics in the charger circuit can be helped with a full discharge/recharge if performance becomes poor

wow, i guess i was completely wrong,
    my advice was based on experience and second hand info and so on.

i stand corrected

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Leaving the battery in and running on mains will cause the battery to overheat. This will affect the battery life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Over charging is what kills batteries. Best to discharge it fully at least once a month.

40% charge in a waterproof bag in the fridge for longest shelf life, but I prefer to use the battery as a UPS, use it , it's what's it's there for.

Advertisement