Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tesco acer laptop

• 21-12-2007 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

does anyone know about the acer aspire 120gb 1gb ram laptop. thinking of buing it from tesco. good for 550?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We need to know more about the spec. Things like the screen size, processor would help. If it has a half decent processor then it seems to be a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It's the same one as this thread, Link

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it has the same processor as that one then it is a pretty good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ben2k7

Amd Turion Mk.36 (2.0 Ghz)
    2gb Ram/ 12ogb Hard Drive
    14.1" Crystal Brite Screen
    Multi Format Dvd/cd Rewriter
    Radeon X1100 256mb Graphics
    Wifi/56k Modem/ Card Reader
    Ms Windows Vista Home Basic

The Tesco €550 model is with 1GB RAM, the Soundstore €679 model is with 2GB RAM. Exact same specs otherwise.

• Advertisement

ben2k7 wrote: »
    Amd Turion Mk.36 (2.0 Ghz)
    2gb Ram/ 12ogb Hard Drive
    14.1" Crystal Brite Screen
    Multi Format Dvd/cd Rewriter
    Radeon X1100 256mb Graphics
    Wifi/56k Modem/ Card Reader
    Ms Windows Vista Home Basic

In your first post you said it had 1GB of ram, in this post you say it has 2GB of ram. Which is it? Either way it is still a good laptop for the money but the 2GB ram would be nice.

is it a good laptop overall? would an extra gig of ram make a difference?

its 1gb of ram from tesco and id didnt say it was 2gb banzai said it was the same as the 2gb

Banzai answered my question before I asked it. :eek:

It is still a good laptop ben. The two gigs of ram would be better for vista but you can get some on line for about €40 and install it yourself. It's piss easy to do.

I have the cheaper model and put in an extra gig of RAM myself. It's a great laptop otherwise but I only use it for work i.e. internet/notepad/itunes/etc. There's no point in pay the extra 130 euro for a gig of ram when you can buy it much much cheaper yourself and install it. Also the laptop runs Vista Basic so there's no fancy Vista bells and whistles and it runs quite smooth.

• Advertisement

thanks. any websites for internal upgrades?

shop4memory
    are pretty good. I think they do free delivery as well. Make sure you get sodimms. They are the laptop ram.

Banzai answered my question before I asked it. :eek:
    I'm super psychic:eek:

I used crucial.com as it was handy, shop for memory is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Seems like a good deal for the price, I'd goto www.memoryc.com for the extra 1GB of RAM.
    Only thing that would bother me is what are Tesco like with warranty returns etc if something goes wrong with the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

majiktripp wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal for the price, I'd goto www.memoryc.com for the extra 1GB of RAM.
    Only thing that would bother me is what are Tesco like with warranty returns etc if something goes wrong with the laptop.
    Consumer has the same rights with Tesco as anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Be careful of these cheap acers.... Some models have a whopping 45 mins battery life! Im serious!!

Saruman wrote: »
    Be careful of these cheap acers.... Some models have a whopping 45 mins battery life! Im serious!!

Mine has 2 hours 15 mins - wifi off, dimmed 50%, mute, typing or 1 hour 40 minutes with wifi on and internet in use. No need to scare monger without knowing the model tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

If you are getting 45mins on doing normal work something is wrong...either software is stressing cpu out or you have it locked in high power mode. Even when im rendering photoshop files for print the acer laptop i use gets 45-50 mins from it and thats it working flat out and not abusing the battery by overcharging constantly and for too long which alot do ;)

Consumer has the same rights with Tesco as anywhere else

I think you missed my point, Is the bloke behind the Till going to fix the laptop if its broken? Who does Tesco outsource its repairs/inspection of faulty laptops too.
    I doubt they just fire you out a cheque for the price you paid if something goes wrong.

If you are getting 45mins on doing normal work something is wrong...either software is stressing cpu out or you have it locked in high power mode. Even when im rendering photoshop files for print the acer laptop i use gets 45-50 mins from it and thats it working flat out and not abusing the battery by overcharging constantly and for too long which alot do ;)

No, im talking out of the box. I have come across two of them.. they are the same model.. this was a few years back so i can not recall the model. Anyway when i checked a review on the laptop's on cnet, this was the main complaint. Battery life lasted at most, 50 mins while watching a dvd, so you could not actually watch a movie while on battery.

Im sure it was just a problem with one or two models using the same chassis/battery... I was just saying to be careful and check out reviews before you buy.

As i type this on a Dell vostro 1000 with over 7 hours battery life i can be smug like that.
    [edit]oops my mistake, im on the latitude D630 so only 3.5 hours.

• Advertisement

As i type this on a Dell vostro 1000 with over 7 hours battery life i can be smug like that.
    [edit]oops my mistake, im on the latitude D630 so only 3.5 hours.

9 Cell/ 6 Cell deep cycle? Options iirc, not standard kit.

9 cell yes the lattitude is standard kit, hence the standard 3.5 hours.

9 cell yes the lattitude is standard kit, hence the standard 3.5 hours.

Well that's fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

memoryc.com is shop4memory by the way! Same company.

eamon234 wrote: »

I didn't know that. That's good to know.

eamon234 wrote: »

Neither did I! Good to know..strange to be running 2 websites..very reliable service all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think you missed my point, Is the bloke behind the Till going to fix the laptop if its broken? Who does Tesco outsource its repairs/inspection of faulty laptops too.
    I doubt they just fire you out a cheque for the price you paid if something goes wrong.

No matter where you buy your your laptop the bloke behind the till is not going to fix it. If it develops a fault you call acer support and they will collect it fix it and then return it. I have had dealings with them and their support is good. Apart from that your statutory consumer rights apply , their presence here indicates a very pro active attitude to customer support.

Re Battery Life. I had an aspire 3003 and the battery life on that was about an hour on general use when new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Not sure what they do but since they sold it they are obliged to see the buyer has their consumer rights upheld. How they do it is their problem but they must be able to consumer see rights are upheld under SOGSOS

Advertisement