Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OEM Vista Disk

• 19-12-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here, but, where Vista comes pre-installed on the laptops HDD, and you don't get the OEM Vista disk, is it possible to get one?

If so, who do you get them off, the place where you got the laptop or off Microsoft?

Anyone know what the procedure is? and what the cost might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you'd have to get it off whoever sold you the laptop. Before dell started giving them out with the laptop they used to charge around €5 for the disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

I think you'd have to get it off whoever sold you the laptop. Before dell started giving them out with the laptop they used to charge around €5 for the disk.
    And you have to pay extra? I recently bought a laptop and got no vista disk either

And you have to pay extra? I recently bought a laptop and got no vista disk either

I called the store and was told there is no disks supplied now,not recovery or windows disk,the latter is because it is the PC that is licenced to have vista rather than not the buyer - as far as can recall.

I consider the policy of putting the responsibility of recovery in the consumers hands to be a bit much, but when checked with consumers ass recently was told there is no legal requirement to supply recovery disk unless the PC is described as having them

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I called the store and was told there is no disks supplied now,not recovery or windows disk,the latter is because it is the PC that is licenced to have vista rather than not the buyer - as far as can recall.

I consider the policy of putting the responsibility of recovery in the consumers hands to be a bit much, but when checked with consumers ass recently was told there is no legal requirement to supply recovery disk unless the PC is described as having them

You should still be able to get a copy of the operatiing system. Afterall you've paid for it with the Pc/laptop. I dont mind spending 10/15 quid on a replacement disk, but I ain't spending anything bigger.

Its nice to have, especially, as I want to blitz everything off the machine and reinstall it fresh without any of the trial crap that they put on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just ring them up and tell them that the windows install is borked and you need to do a format and re-install. They should send them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ring who? Microsoft themselves?

No. Ring whoever made the laptop e.g. acer dell.

No. Ring whoever made the laptop e.g.
    Under SOGSSA it is the shop who has the contract with me
    acer dell
    Sony and I tried to register at their online support and it would not take the username . They reset .Same story. In January Sony HQ will have a regd letter from me....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GBX wrote: »
    Ring who? Microsoft themselves?
    No.
    The whole point of OEM is that microsoft wash their hands entirely of it, the manufacturer gets it a very reduced price but has to suport it (or not ) and the license precluded an OEM license being moved to another PC, so microsoft won't loose money when you buy a new PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I am not sure if its the same OEM dvd everyone is talking about but I did get the Reinstallation DVD for Vista Home Premium along with Dell laptop. I didnt ask for it specifically but it was there along with other disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erh lads, most of these laptops have hidden recovery partitions... as long as you don't wipe that you can recover Vista...

True you may have to put up with the bloat that comes from most manufactureres but... that can be uninstalled. A pain I know but... it's completely doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Usually your machine comes with a disk or with a backup on your machine that you are supposed to burn on to DVDs in case you need to reinstall. The other option is to buy it from the manufacturer at a nominal cost.

You can go back to the people who sold it to you but going straight to the manufacturer would be a speedier process. As they're the only ones who can solve the problem (easily).

I am not sure if its the same OEM dvd everyone is talking about but I did get the Reinstallation DVD for Vista Home Premium
    You mean restore dvd, to restore computer to factory image?
    I didnt ask for it specifically but it was there along with other disks
    When did you buy the PC?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Achilles wrote: »
    True you may have to put up with the bloat that comes from most manufactureres but... that can be uninstalled. A pain I know but... it's completely doable.
    not painful if you use this http://www.pcdecrapifier.com

You mean restore dvd, to restore computer to factory image?
    When did you buy the PC?

The laptop was only bought only a week back from Dell. No extra charge given.

Along with driver dvd etc, it came with a DVD which says:

Operating System
    Already Installed On Your Computer
    Reinstallation DVD
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT

(and it has a serial number on top of it)

I guess its not simply resotre dvd but reinstallation DVD of Vista.

Now my question is, are we supposed to get a dvd to restore the laptop to factory image??

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Now my question is, are we supposed to get a dvd to restore the laptop to factory image??
    I don't think Dell ever gave the recovery image on a DVD. When I got my laptop they didn't give me one, though I requested the XP MCE disc.

How can you create a recovery dvd which can take the laptop back to factory setting?

There may be a hidden restore partition on the Dell
    but if they gave you a windows CD , then they won't give you a restore CD too.

TBH most of us would rather have the windows CD than a restore image. Saves having to uninstall all the crap later on.

There may be a hidden restore partition on the Dell
    but if they gave you a windows CD , then they won't give you a restore CD too.

TBH most of us would rather have the windows CD than a restore image. Saves having to uninstall all the crap later on.
    With my old laptpo I got a recovery and a windows disk. So I can wipe the disk and install just windows with that? Will I have to format first or will the install format? Thanks

Is that means I got lucky with the Windows dvd :)

I may give a call to dell and ask for a restore dvd. Worth giving a try, you never know :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement