Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optical Drive Question

• 22-12-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 1520. On the optical drive it's printed DVD-RW etc and Blu-ray Disc.

When I look in the device manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives its says MATS-HITA BD-RE UJ-220 ATA Device.

I am not sure what it means.

Does that confirms that the optical drive is Blu-ray compitable?

Is it read or may be write as well??

Or its just a smiple DVD drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/panasonic-uj-220/2106

looks like its a blu ray writer too

how does somebody not know that they are buying a bluray laptop, surely it adds a bit to the price... do you know the price of the laptop

maybe you should tell your friend it's not much good and switch with your laptops drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

A minor correction, its actually BD-RE. Still not sure what that means :)

@eolhc
    The laptop was bought from dell outlet not custom built.

Now switching the laptop drive is a good idea, lol

Is panasonic & MATS HITA same company (read without the space)?

Wow would be nice to get a cheap outlet pc with a blu ray drive

Matsu$hita owns panasonic... or panasonic is one of the brand names the company uses

Usually the uj-220 part of the name is all you need to see what the spec of the drive is, i'm not sure if the link i posted is correct though, but presume it is. The dell product page for the inspiron might give more details

Thanks for the info.

Is there any place in Windows Vista where we can actually see that its a blu-ray drive?

I mean any system information type page or something like that.

not that i know of

all you will get is the drive model which you posted

since it has the blu-ray logo on the drive itself and the model is uj-220 you can be sure it's a blu-ray drive

the laptop will probably have powerdvd or some other dvd player software which will play back blu-ray movie discs for you

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the help. Really appreciate that :)

It is acutally a Blu-ray drive :)

Roxio is giving option to write to a blu-ray disc.

Advertisement