Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop accidental damage insurance

• 17-12-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

I'm lookin for insurance for my laptop to cover mainly accidental damage.Does anyone have any recommendations for any insurance companies that will cover me for accidental damage and theft?I bought my laptop for 920 euros so the insurance company would have to be able to cover the laptop for that amount.Also,in the event of damage will the laptop be replaces or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

what brand is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This comes up every so often on this forum and as far as I can tell, nobody seems to cover laptops on their own. Generally, they would be a named item on a household policy.

Maybe that's an opening in the market for somebody. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Its a dell vostro.I opted not to buy it when i bought it,i have changed my mind since but dell won't cover it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

fatal wrote: »
    Its a dell vostro.I opted not to buy it when i bought it,i have changed my mind since but dell won't cover it now.

That's mad - I added accidental damage coverage to a Latitude a year after I bought it, not too long ago. I was part of an important EPP though, which might have made them pull strings without even telling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

there are 3 laptops in my family and all are covered under our household insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

prod_igy wrote: »
    there are 3 laptops in my family and all are covered under our household insurance

did you specifically ask for it to be a named item?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My laptop is covered under the "audio visual equipment" part of my home insurance policy or so the sales man on the phone told me. Has anyone ever successfully claimed for accidental damage to their laptop after dropping it or some other such accident?
    And I'm not asking because I have any immediate plans to drop mine. Honest! :)

jetsonx wrote: »
    did you specifically ask for it to be a named item?

Yes they're all named items. Just give model of laptop and cost. They're covered for accidental damage and theft etc, basically if my laptop breaks for whatever reason or is lost, stolen, i will get money back for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How much did this add to your premium?

for 3 laptops it cost between 30-40 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stealth Man

I suggest that you ring your insurance co & ask SPECIFICALLY if the laptops are covered OUTSIDE the house, & IF he says yes, get it in writing.

I do know through experience (but forum rules prevent me saying) that ins. co's very rarely pay out where laptops are concerned, either inside or outside the house which is a shame 'cos ppl like yourselves think they're covered & then find they're not....

jk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Per year? That aint too shabby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

About 2 years ago my better half tripped over the power cable of her Sony Vaio - it feel on the floor and the screen cracked. We sent the laptop off to FBD and they sent us a cheque for a new one no fuss at all.

I suggest that you ring your insurance co & ask SPECIFICALLY if the laptops are covered OUTSIDE the house

Laptops are covered outside and inside the house, this adds bit extra to premium, although not much atall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Just a little update,I rang dell and they don't provide accidental insurance for laptops once they have been dispatched.I am currently thinking of getting it insured under the house but if something happens to the laptop and I have to claim,I lose my no claims bonus which increases the following home insurance premium by quite a lot

Advertisement