Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words Hornet!
    For both SwiftSMS and Cabbage, it was a great app and I loved it for a long time. It was the inspiration to create SwiftSMS, as I felt it was getting a little outdated and as you say Sam was stepping away from it.

I'm hoping with SwiftSMS we can avoid these problems.
    After getting 2 very thoughtful pokes I'm looking into splitting the core functionality out of SwiftSMS so I can create a desktop flavour. It will probably take a good while to do with Christmas coming and all that. Plus with me being terribly lazy it might take even longer :pac:
    But as well as creating a desktop flavour, I would like to do a few other things, geeky program-y things, like create a Maven build for the whole thing, desktop, Android & core functionality. Write some decent tests for the app etc...
    The reason for that is I hope to make it open source, available on Github so everyone can help keep it going :)

I say all this, but I'm not sure how likely it is to happen or how long it might take :P

Here's another poke ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4m2vAmwY4LNPNCxsX2d0-sJZsfirvrwlv4bXC5KD79l78e_9g

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I would be happy to make a donation if I could find a usable replacement for Cabbage and Jelly SMS to use on my Windows desktop. I am lost without them (I tried the Java fix thing suggested above but JellySMS still not working). Typing text messages on my iPhone is painfully tedious and slow. So consider this a poke also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hornet wrote: »
    ....but, I think at this stage we have to declare Cabbage as dead and move on.

Sam Vines, who wrote Cabbage, did an outstanding job, but seemingly life/work got in the way of it and with the amount of time that has passed, I'd say any upgrades/corrections/modifications at any time in the future are rather unlikely.

So, what next? I never tried JellySMS, which some tell me is very good, but I found indirectly through this group SwiftSMS, written by Boards.ie contributor fluffy88. I only need an Android app and am not worried about iOS and while I would LIKE a desktop version, I will survive without. So with these requirements, SwiftSMS is just great! I am a very very happy user and just came back from abroad where I used it successfully for the last week to send SMS via my included daily data plan (Vodafone Passport) to Irish and international numbers.

Try it out, if Android is your thing!

(BTW: I am just a really happy user and have no connection to or with fluffy88 or SwiftSMS!)

Thanks for the SwiftSMS recommendation. Great app. And I like that it uses modern UI guidelines, instead of looking ancient. Hopefully the dev updates it to Lollipop UI in time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Thanks for the SwiftSMS recommendation. Great app. And I like that it uses modern UI guidelines, instead of looking ancient. Hopefully the dev updates it to Lollipop UI in time too.

Not sure there is much I can do to make it more Lollipop.
    Any suggestions?? :)

Not sure there is much I can do to make it more Lollipop.
    Any suggestions?? :)

First of all, great job dude! Love the app!

Now, as for improvements...

sI0OdGU.png

1. Hamburger icon for settings, instead of three dots.

2. Solid coloured title bar. (bonus: let users pick a colour).

3. The Lollipop action button. Although I don't know how or where you'd implement that.

4. Get rid of the Holo blue underlines for the text entry, that's very ICS. Look at Textra SMS, Today Calendar, Gmail for good adherence to Lollipop deisgn guidelines.

Finally, can I ask you, if you could recommend any books or tutorials for Android developing? I'm in my second year at ITT, studying computing, I'm interested in developing for Android in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Thanks for the recommendation for SwiftSMS, I was having trouble with cabbage not letting me log in when I upgraded my phone, swift does the job perfectly

First of all, great job dude! Love the app!

Now, as for improvements...

1. Hamburger icon for settings, instead of three dots.

2. Solid coloured title bar. (bonus: let users pick a colour).

3. The Lollipop action button. Although I don't know how or where you'd implement that.

4. Get rid of the Holo blue underlines for the text entry, that's very ICS. Look at Textra SMS, Today Calendar, Gmail for good adherence to Lollipop deisgn guidelines.

Not sure we have any use for the Giant Add/New button so I probably won't be adding it. The other suggestions I'll write down :)

Just to get an idea (because I know Lollipop is a bit controversial) who would like to see SwiftSMS getting a Lollipop update, similar to what CyberGhost posted above?

Finally, can I ask you, if you could recommend any books or tutorials for Android developing? I'm in my second year at ITT, studying computing, I'm interested in developing for Android in the future.
    I'm a do it yourself kinda guy unfortunately, so I don't have any 1 particular resource I've used to learn.
    My general approach to new technologies/languages/frameworks etc... is to find some small project that's interesting and go do it. Then use Google, stackoverflow, Android forums, etc... when I get stuck on something.
    You will of course want to follow at least the first few steps of the official documentation to get you started, http://developer.android.com/index.html

Android has a wealth of knowledge on the internet so, think of something small, anything (a crappy, unreleased quiz app was my first) that interests you in some way and make it. I always find it's easier to finish a project if there is some goal/benefit from it. The quiz app I made, we used as a fun little competition as part of a bigger project.
    Having the goal also helps to make sure you try do it right, and not create the ugliest app ever seen by man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

who would like to see SwiftSMS for Desktop?

FYP :D

Poke!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Cabbage working well for me.

Seiftsms not campitable with my basic samsung.

FYP :D

Poke!
    No progress made yet and I'm on my Christmas holidays this afternoon so don't expect any news this year :pac:
    Adrian4 wrote: »
    Cabbage working well for me.

Seiftsms not campitable with my basic samsung.

SwiftSMS is not compatible with devices running older versions of Android, it requires Android 3.0 or newer.
    Cabbage is designed for Android 2.2 devices so should look fine and fit in well, as long as it works :)

• Advertisement

Not sure we have any use for the Giant Add/New button so I probably won't be adding it. The other suggestions I'll write down :)

Just to get an idea (because I know Lollipop is a bit controversial) who would like to see SwiftSMS getting a Lollipop update, similar to what CyberGhost posted above?

I'm a do it yourself kinda guy unfortunately, so I don't have any 1 particular resource I've used to learn.
    My general approach to new technologies/languages/frameworks etc... is to find some small project that's interesting and go do it. Then use Google, stackoverflow, Android forums, etc... when I get stuck on something.
    You will of course want to follow at least the first few steps of the official documentation to get you started, http://developer.android.com/index.html

Android has a wealth of knowledge on the internet so, think of something small, anything (a crappy, unreleased quiz app was my first) that interests you in some way and make it. I always find it's easier to finish a project if there is some goal/benefit from it. The quiz app I made, we used as a fun little competition as part of a bigger project.
    Having the goal also helps to make sure you try do it right, and not create the ugliest app ever seen by man :P

Cool Fluffy! Thanks for the answer!

You know what else you could do to "Lollipop" your app? Animations for transitions, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

Awesome app man!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

I have myphoneexplorer alright, but you need to hook up your phone to text off that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cabbage has been working on the desk for me on O2 till this morning. It no longer works. I assume due to the merge with three. A toast to Mr Vimes. Thanks it was great while it lasted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

beauf wrote: »
    Cabbage has been working on the desk for me on O2 till this morning. It no longer works. I assume due to the merge with three. A toast to Mr Vimes. Thanks it was great while it lasted.

Yes same here, it was great on windows, I don't see much feedback from Sam Vimes so I don't think he's working on any more updates. :(

Does anyone know of any other software out there that will work on windows that might get updated to support O2/Three webtext in case we do not get any more updates on cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

They're still working on merging the two services, webtext hopefully will be back up later today. As it is one can't even login the website to send texts, you'll need a pin now. I'm assuming desktop and Android Cabbage will both work then, but one will have to create a new Three account, if you were on o2. Three use captcha to, so will most likely have to use the Cabbage captcha add on. Just have to wait for now I guess and hopefully all will be working later :)

Probably a bit early to be testing it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jay Hatchell

Just noticed this myself, hope this gets sorted real soon, as i use the app and desktop version quite a lot, may go buy credit now lol, cabbage was easy to use, but logging on to a site just to send a message is a pain on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

How has cabbage being working with existing three customers?

Adrian4 wrote: »
    How has cabbage being working with existing three customers?

Friend on 3 uses Android version and has had no issues recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hornet wrote: »
    ....but, I think at this stage we have to declare Cabbage as dead and move on.

Sam Vines, who wrote Cabbage, did an outstanding job, but seemingly life/work got in the way of it and with the amount of time that has passed, I'd say any upgrades/corrections/modifications at any time in the future are rather unlikely.

So, what next? I never tried JellySMS, which some tell me is very good, but I found indirectly through this group SwiftSMS, written by Boards.ie contributor fluffy88. I only need an Android app and am not worried about iOS and while I would LIKE a desktop version, I will survive without. So with these requirements, SwiftSMS is just great! I am a very very happy user and just came back from abroad where I used it successfully for the last week to send SMS via my included daily data plan (Vodafone Passport) to Irish and international numbers.

Try it out, if Android is your thing!

(BTW: I am just a really happy user and have no connection to or with fluffy88 or SwiftSMS!)

You're lucky it works for you while abroad, for O2/Three users it doesn't :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

Hi lads.
    Just noticed today that Cabbage stopped working with o2 (and on inspection the o2 website is now completely turned to three)

Hope there's a fix in the works!

Hi lads.
    Just noticed today that Cabbage stopped working with o2 (and on inspection the o2 website is now completely turned to three)

Hope there's a fix in the works!

It's not cabbage- webtext isn't working on the Three website. They are working on a fix

It's not cabbage- webtext isn't working on the Three website. They are working on a fix

Webtext is working on Three site, but all the login credentials will have changed now the o2.ie domain is gone, so Cabbage and all other webtext apps no longer work for former o2 users.

dubecho wrote: »
    Webtext is working on Three site, but all the login credentials will have changed now the o2.ie domain is gone, so Cabbage and all other webtext apps no longer work for former o2 users.

Jelly SMS on Iphone does work now after developers did some work on it :D

Now we just need an alternative for windows

dubecho wrote: »

Yesterday I logged into the Three site with my old 02 log in. It let me log in fine, my name came up and everything. But webtext wasn't working. I started a chat with customer support, told him, he said they know and their technicans are working on it

I was able to log in to 3 webtext with my O2 logon this morning. Sent one web text successfully as a test.

Yesterday I logged into the Three site with my old 02 log in. It let me log in fine, my name came up and everything. But webtext wasn't working. I started a chat with customer support, told him, he said they know and their technicans are working on it

Was the issue you mention on the three.ie website? Webtext was up and down all day yesterday.

Cabbage won't work until the developer makes some changes on the software to point O2 account to the three.ie domain as now they are pointing to O2.ie.

O2, three, meteor etc they don't care about cabbage or any other external application/software been broken as they don't support them.

I tried using the credentials that work on the three site, with Cabbage this morning. Didn't work.

Did Cabbage ever work with 3 (on the desktop)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Just logged into www.Three.ie using my old O2 number and password and managed to send several webtexts. Looks like they're using the old O2 webtext page but thankfully it doesn't time out like O2 used to!

Cabbage is returning "Invalid login" but I have faith in Sam. If anyone can fix it he can.

Advertisement