Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Valuation records query

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

If the printing date of the parish records were 1851, would someone who immigrated in 1851 still be included? I'm looking at the parishes of Oola & Grean, Co. Limerick and I am wondering how long would it have been between the survey and the print date? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I believe there was only a couple of months between survey and print date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

I looked into this before, and read that the print date was within 6 months of the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks "pinkypinky". In that case, it is unlikely that the person should be listed at all as he arrived in USA in Jan 1851.

Thanks Eve.
    Any idea if the actual print date can be found anywhere apart from the year?

I tried to find the month of it being published Montgo, but couldn't find out. I think it should be found somewhere though. It is Co Limerick I'm looking into also. Pinky is right, within 6 months could be as little as two. Have you found the family name of the person who immigrated in the Griffith's Valuation for that property? I'm trying to find out when a member of the family took over from the person in the Griffith's. I got in touch with the Land Evaluation Archives Office, they will research it for me and it doesn't cost very much.

• Advertisement

Thanks again, Eve.

I have just found this webpage and it states Nov 1850 for Oola, Grean, etc. in the Barony of Coonagh.
    Yes, his name is listed on Griffiths for the townland but it is a common enough name so not conclusive.

The Cancelled/Revision Land Books are a great source of info and the ones I've see begin from early 1860s.

Thanks for the link Montgo, good find. Sept. was the month for the area I am interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks Eve.
    Any idea if the actual print date can be found anywhere apart from the year?
    the printing date is included on the cover page for each section of the valuation. To access it view the valuation image on AskAboutIreland in a new window and keep clicking the 'previous page' to get back to the covers, or edit the file parameter in the URL and carefully change the last section of this number back to the first page 001, the date is usually on the first couple of pages, so you may need to try 002, 003 etc

e.g. original URL :

.....DynamicViewer.php?file=292012&path=./pix/....
    edit to
    .....DynamicViewer.php?file=292001&path=./pix/....

Thanks, Shane. I thought that there should be some way to find the info. Let's see if I can open the page in a new window.

Another question, this guy immigrated on the John Toole arriving 23 January 1851 to New Orleans. How long would it have taken from Dublin to NO back then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

montgo wrote: »
    Another question, this guy immigrated on the John Toole arriving 23 January 1851 to New Orleans. How long would it have taken from Dublin to NO back then?

Have to consider a number of factors: was it a direct Irish port to NOLA sailing; did they go to Liverpool first (and possibly stay in Liverpool anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months), was the weather good on the Atlantic crossing, was it a steamships etc.

In the mid 1850s, steamships were doing the Liverpool to NYC route in as little as 9 days, so could probably do Liverpool to NOLA in 14-16 days. With bad weather that could be pushed out to up to 30 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The “John Toole” was sail only – she was built in 1850 and less than 2 years later shipwrecked off the Aran Islands. See info here. It is highly probable that your man joined the ship in Liverpool. The Dublin and Liverpool Steam Packet Company was the main line Dublin – Liverpool and conditions were awful, cattle being held below deck and passengers on deck with no protection – there was a Parliamentary Committee of Enquiry over the conditions at which the Line admitted that the cattle were better treated.

The transatlantic crossing would have taken about a month under favourable conditions, much longer if the weather was bad (likely, as your person crossed in winter) so it could have been as long as 12 weeks. My guess would be six weeks.

I researched another person in a slightly later period (1865) and at that time the US Dollar prices for passenger tickets were first class cabin, $105; second, $85, and third, $75, with a berth in steerage $30. Frequently strangers shared two or four berth cabins to reduce the costs.

Edit - looking at this list it would suggest that the John Toole did leave from Dublin rather than Liverpool - the passenger list gives Dublin as port of departure whereas Liverpool is not mentioned for any passengers.

Thanks Coolnabacky & Pedro for additional information.
    I found the family on that same website indicating the John Toole left from Dublin. From there, the family and others made the difficult journey north on the Mississippi and finally settled in Illinois a distance of 888 miles!

Thanks again,

Advertisement