Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Ah okay! Yeah, I spotted a photo if it on the MIC Facebook page. It does look nice!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Ah okay! Yeah, I spotted a photo if it on the MIC Facebook page. It does look nice!

Guessing the plans to build a new one is waaaay down the line now though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Did the library get done up recently?

Hopefully.

With a bulldozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dark.Horse

Seems so! Also you need a student card to get in now! Getting very sophisticated so they are!

It's awfully quiet here these days! Does anyone have any news? :pac:

I see they've started working on the bike station for the Coke Zero Bikes outside the main gate! Anyone sign up for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've had a busy few weeks around the place! No exams for me this year though. ;)

Handy out! Does no exams mean loads of assignments though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Aaaand Moodle is down. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Forum seems dead these days. Are the SU promoting it at all?

Not a clue! Forum seems to get a lot of one off posters who rarely return. Many might think it's just a Q&A kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

When you see the traffic the UL one gets, you'd think it would be great to have something similar for Mary I. The only promotion of boards.ie I ever saw was on a social media page in the college diary. Pity really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

2009 and 2010 was the time when the forum should have been set up. There were 5 or 6 of us in the college who posted very frequently, and it would have been a perfect core group to establish a sense of community/entice back the one-off posters. Alas, most of that group moved on before the forum was set up, and not enough n00bz have taken their places! :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I check in here from time to time but I've moved on from Mary I so have quite little to contribute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Hel...hello?

Is anyone here one of the regular heads in the computer rooms after 6? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I was in there one evening this week until about half 8. I am normally in the main lab area.

I was in there one evening this week until about half 8. I am normally in the main lab area.

Can't deal with the heat in there. :D I favour the brown computer room I have to say. But I won't go near the place before 5, usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Can't deal with the heat in there. :D I favour the brown computer room I have to say. But I won't go near the place before 5, usually.

It was chronic hot there during the day the week before last. I had to nearly embarrass myself by opening every window it was that bad. It's grand in the evening. I go to the quiet room when it comes to the time when assignments are due but for light work I am easy going and the main lab is grand to keep an eye on who's out and about :pac:

Not a fan of the wooded floor labs...too many Mary I women wearing heels and thumping up and down the place creating elephant noise!

It was chronic hot there during the day the week before last. I had to nearly embarrass myself by opening every window it was that bad. It's grand in the evening. I go to the quiet room when it comes to the time when assignments are due but for light work I am easy going and the main lab is grand to keep an eye on who's out and about :pac:

Not a fan of the wooded floor labs...too many Mary I women wearing heels and thumping up and down the place creating elephant noise!

It is a great place for seeing who's who :D

And don't get me started on the talking. I knows it's not the library, but **** me. :D

The computer room is busy tonight. The b.eds must have an assignment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gobn

Hi. Does anyone know if the IT labs are open today? It being a bank holiday and all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I was unable to do 2 exams at Christmas due to a family bereavement. I rang the college, explained my situation and I was granted the I grade prior to the exams. I was happy with this, knowing I would do the exams in August and that they would not be capped.

This morning I woke up to a letter from the college telling me that I had failed to meet the requisite grade levels required and would have to do repeats. I couldn't believe it, but on closer inspection the reason for this was that the 2 exams I missed, Maths and Irish were what were pulling me below the QCA 2.0 cut off point. Well infact it was just Irish, my maths grades were above 2.0 even though that only included 3 of 4 exams. I am quite annoyed with the aggressive air of the letter, and the heavy handed writing "bad grades below," I did well in every other area, and the only reason I am below the cut off point is because of a I grade.
    It is quite obvious that this is a generic email sent to all misfortunes who have to repeat an exam or 2 in August. I would have appreciated atleast an acknowledgement of the fact that my issue was not the fault of my own. Being forced to read " I regret to inform you that at a recent meeting of the Academic Council Grading Committee, it was decided that your academic performance has not reached the required standard and you may not proceed until this is rectified," with your bowl of cornflakes is not a pleasant experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

buyer95 wrote: »
    I was unable to do 2 exams at Christmas due to a family bereavement. I rang the college, explained my situation and I was granted the I grade prior to the exams. I was happy with this, knowing I would do the exams in August and that they would not be capped.

This morning I woke up to a letter from the college telling me that I had failed to meet the requisite grade levels required and would have to do repeats. I couldn't believe it, but on closer inspection the reason for this was that the 2 exams I missed, Maths and Irish were what were pulling me below the QCA 2.0 cut off point. Well infact it was just Irish, my maths grades were above 2.0 even though that only included 3 of 4 exams. I am quite annoyed with the aggressive air of the letter, and the heavy handed writing "bad grades below," I did well in every other area, and the only reason I am below the cut off point is because of a I grade.
    It is quite obvious that this is a generic email sent to all misfortunes who have to repeat an exam or 2 in August. I would have appreciated atleast an acknowledgement of the fact that my issue was not the fault of my own. Being forced to read " I regret to inform you that at a recent meeting of the Academic Council Grading Committee, it was decided that your academic performance has not reached the required standard and you may not proceed until this is rectified," with your bowl of cornflakes is not a pleasant experience.

I finished up last year so maybe I'm wrong but I had to get 2 I grades for a bereavement a few years ago and I'm pretty sure I got the same letter. It's a standard letter saying that you haven't met the QCA. Even though it says that you have to do repeats, for you it just means that you have to sit the I grades. Basically its nothing that you didn't already know. Its just that the letter is a generic one and they don't allow for the wording to be changed to suit an I grade.
    To be honest I didn't find it to be 'heavy handed', but they have to phrase it in a way that people are aware that they still have to sit exams. What you have in bold is true, you may not proceed. If you are that unhappy about it perhaps a phone call to Student Services would help?

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this, but I thought this would be the place to ask. Last Christmas I got an I grade in 2 exams, and sat these exams for the first time during the repeats. I understand that if you fail a repeat you fail that module and thus cannot go onto next year. However as this was my first time doing the exam does it still mean if I fail the exam that I cannot go on? Is there any proceedure for this? I am a B.ED student heading into 3rd year (hopefully.)

I think if you fail it, you will have to repeat the module/year again.

Ok thanks. I think I'll ring the SU tomorrow to ask for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Gym opening hours? Please and thanks :)

What are they building by the back of the canteen?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

What are they building by the back of the canteen?

New recycling centre/bin compound with bike shed area also

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

So the damn gubberment will only continue BTEA for a PME or a HDip.

What is the use of a HDip, can anyone tell me? Seems like more undergraduate modules..

• Advertisement

Just wondering if students can apply for a grant for the gaeltacht? We're heading there in january

Advertisement