Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda cert for 457 visa

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.to apply for my 457visa Australia.I need A gard cert.to apply for the gard Cert I need A letter from the Australian embassy.They say ask your agent for it.but I cant as I am doing my own application.any help would be great thanks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You don't need a Garda Cert for a 457 unless you have a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 snakeeyes2007

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You don't need a Garda Cert for a 457 unless you have a criminal record.

Thanks.
    Slight change to 457visa .everyone has to supply A garda cert for A 457vísa.I rang the Aus enbassy.

Thanks.
    Slight change to 457visa .everyone has to supply A garda cert for A 457vísa.I rang the Aus enbassy.

Really? A 457 visa is like something you pull out of a Xmas cracker... if they are asking for Garda cert then they might be taking it seriously.

If everyone has to supply a Garda cert what happens if you are not from Ireland?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Really? A 457 visa is like something you pull out of a Xmas cracker... if they are asking for Garda cert then they might be taking it seriously.

If everyone has to supply a Garda cert what happens if you are not from Ireland?
    You have to Supply A POLICE CERT
    from every country you lived in for more than 12mths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/457-applicant.aspx

I'd call and ask again. No mention of it here.

• Advertisement

Doesn't say that on the 457 checklist which is current and in force

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/457-applicant.aspx

But if you look at a proper visa like 186 it clearly states that under character grounds you need a cert for every country you have lived in for over 12 months.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/186-applicant.aspx

You could phone immigration 10 times and get 10 different answers they access the same information from the website as the rest of us as its all there it's the way it interpreted is the problem... and that comes from someone I know who works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who told you this?

And, you don't need a letter from the embassy to get a Garda cert. The Gardai have a form you can download, fill out and bring to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

To get a police certificate from the Garda while overseas you can email your local station back home and request the cert. Attach a scan of your passport and give them the following details:

Name
    Last address in Ireland
    Last address +1 in Ireland
    DOB
    Email address
    Phone number

Address overseas to post cert to

They're usually pretty quick to turn it around. I've used this method now for over 6 years while bouncing around various countries.

Note: The cert is only valid for one year.

Mellor wrote: »
    Who told you this?

And, you don't need a letter from the embassy to get a Garda cert. The Gardai have a form you can download, fill out and bring to the station.

No one told me.its wrote in bold letters on the bottom of the garda cert.
    Must supply letter from aus embassy.
    I brought the form to the station,and he wouldnt accept it.and pointed to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No one told me.its wrote in bold letters on the bottom of the garda cert.
    Must supply letter from aus embassy.
    I brought the form to the station,and he wouldnt accept it.and pointed to the bottom.
    The post I quoted was;
    I'm asking who told you that. As its not a requirement for 457 that I've ever heard of, its only a requirement for residency. Batgurl posted the requirements above and there was no mention.

Here's the requirements for the Police certificate anyway. Not requirement to have an embassy letter (the embassy doesn't handle visas either)
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1
    And here's the latest form
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/694795/295714.pdf

The older form listed "request document from embassy" as a something which may support your application, but its a supporting document, not a requirement - and when you going for PR you don't necessarily get a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Hi.to apply for my 457visa Australia.I need A gard cert.to apply for the gard Cert I need A letter from the Australian embassy.They say ask your agent for it.but I cant as I am doing my own application.any help would be great thanks??

I had to get one recently for citizenship app, fortunately I was home at time.
    Not sure about need for a 457 but either way it was easy to get.

It says on form something about visas but you just write "required for Australian visa" and hand in with sae, passport copies etc and about a week later it arrived in door.

As lamented on many a post elsewhere on boards trying to get police clearance for a job is a whole other problem and seems to send the guards into a complete tailspin....

Advertisement