Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting a car from Australia, importing to Ireland

Options
  • 24-02-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm moving back to Ireland (unplanned) and now I have the option of either selling my 3 month old car or shipping it back to Ireland. Has anyone shipped one back before?

I called a shipping company at was told that I would have to pay 10% duty on cost of car + shipping and then 23% VAT on cost of car + shipping + 10% duty. Not only this but then would have to pay the VRT which I think would be around 23% of the cost of the vehicle.

Car price at home is around 55-60k euros but cost here was around 10% cheaper than that. If I owned the car for 6 months in Australia I would be exempt for all that but I will be going home just before this and obviously if I have to pay all those taxes then it is not worth it at all. Is it possible to claim the tac paid in Australia back when it is exported I wonder?

I was thinking if I flew back to Australia for a week just after the 6 months and then shipped the car home it may make me exempt for the taxes and make it worth the trip over as return flights can be got for around 1k Euro.

Besides if all this worked out are there any other downsides/pitfalls to doing this? Car is a BMW to there is plenty of support in Europe obviously for this car so servicing etc shouldn't be a problem compared against a Holden or Jap car which is not sold in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

What sort of BMW is it? An exclusive model or fairly common?

If it's a higher end, high power car then things like motor tax could be high based on its CO2 output, possibly reducing its resale value.

Not being insured in Ireland for over 2 years means you would be starting without an NCB for insurance so that alone could be in the thousands for a new, imported model.

The spec for cars to be road legal may be different to here in Australia and it may need to be modified to meet irish standards.

I'd repost on the Motors forum. You'll get more definitive information and I think they have a sticky thread on importing cars into Ireland.

It could work out more expensive shipping it home than selling it here. It all depends on how much you want to hang onto the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

pete4130 wrote: »
    What sort of BMW is it? An exclusive model or fairly common?

If it's a higher end, high power car then things like motor tax could be high based on its CO2 output, possibly reducing its resale value.

Not being insured in Ireland for over 2 years means you would be starting without an NCB for insurance so that alone could be in the thousands for a new, imported model.

The spec for cars to be road legal may be different to here in Australia and it may need to be modified to meet irish standards.

I'd repost on the Motors forum. You'll get more definitive information and I think they have a sticky thread on importing cars into Ireland.

It could work out more expensive shipping it home than selling it here. It all depends on how much you want to hang onto the car.

It's a BMW 328i, very unusual to see that model in Ireland, normally they are 320i or 320d. I'll post up on Motors section to see if anyone there has any ideas. Thanks

Advertisement