Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, I think battery is alright. It doesn't really affect me as I have desk job, meaning phone can be on the charger all day and all night if need be. But it's decent I think, and I am pretty much always on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great news then, what about...

Call reception?
    3G/H data reception?
    GPS?
    The Radio?
    The stuttering video player issue you were having? (Meant to tell you to download Moboplayer from the market for that)

Are they all working okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

positron wrote: »
    I am really getting used to this phone now that I have had it a few days.

IMHO, it's not a great phone in anyway, but it's pretty good at a lot of things. Most impressive feature is how rigid it feels - and that's all due to the screen and the metal (looking?) bezel around the screen. The back is plastic vastness but it doesn't take anything away from the well-built feel of the phone.

The camera is okay for a phone camera. It runs more apps that you can shake a stick at. Gaming etc is great fun with the large screen. Streams Netflix, TED, Youtube whatever I want to watch. Google Currents etc to keep me on that constant 'information high'. Wifi capabilities are a bit poor - phone struggles when at the room farthest away from the router - my laptop (and Ascend G300) has no problem holding connection there. Screen is brilliant as it's nice and big. Images are crisp but only as crisp as G300, not sure if this is supposed to be exceptionally better, but it's very usable and with fast response to slide/pinch/zoom while in gallery, it's a really enjoyable anyway.

Again, not a great phone - but a very good phone when you consider the price.

Sample photo: http://i.imgur.com/oVP15SQ.jpg

Are you on the stock Rom?

yesno1234 wrote: »

Are you on the stock Rom?

Yes, its okay I think; May be I have low expectations to begin with. Will try the needrom link above latet some stage, waiting for feedback from 'early adopters'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

positron wrote: »

Yes, its okay I think; May be I have low expectations to begin with. Will try the needrom link above latet some stage, waiting for feedback from 'early adopters'. :)
    The beta rom its fine. I would like the Lewaos rom from the first page with jellybean update instead of 4.0.4. but then again I'm never happy...

Reading up on Modaco (thread, some reports of bluetooth issues etc with the Jellybean official beta ROM. Also I will need to reinstall all the apps? Guess I will wait till the official G3 Jellybean ROM is out of beta.

Thargor, call reception is as good as any other phone I think, I haven't seen any issues so far. I haven't tried 3G/H data yet, haven't tried GPS either. Tried radio last night, and even with a short one feet long headphone cable, G3 scanned and tuned around 20 stations in just a few seconds. Can't fault it at all.

Thanks for moboplayer, looks very great. I think I can still see a few frames missing here and there, but may be it's the video clip, I will try downloading a few others if I ever get some time to myself..!!

Thanks for that.

Yeah I rarely touch Betas unless they're straight from Google, let other people do the debugging, shouldnt be too long until the official one now, and yes you have to reinstall everything after a rom flash, music/videos/books on the SD card are fine but all the apps on the internal memory are wiped, even if you've been using an app like Apps2SD to move them to the SD card after installing.

Titanium Backup will make a backup and restore all the apps/settings for you but I dont use it, I prefer a clean wipe and fresh installs of everything on my devices. Easiest way to do it is log into your google Play account on a pc and theres a list there of every app you've ever downloaded, tick the ones you want again and it'll send them to the phone and install automatically.

Another thing thats handy to know is that sometimes with these Chinese generic devices you get 'this app is not compatible with your device' errors on the Play Store for some apps even though the phone is easily capable of running them and it wont send the app to the phone automatically. You can get around this by just Googling 'Angry birds.apk' or whatever the app you want is, find a download link for a recent version of the .apk file, drag it to the root of the SD card then navigate to it in a file browser on the phone (Astro File Manager is great), click on it and it will install as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Anybody see the Jiayu G4. I like the look of it!

Two models, 1800 mAh or 3000mAh battery.

Although I'm sure there will be the same issues with release dates etc as happened with the G3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

It will be a while before you can get your hands on a G4 tbh, tasty piece of kit.

On a side note, its leaked that the Samsung S4 will be out by April(August at the earliest imo)...if this happens, there 'should' be an avalanche of cheap S3's on the market. As of now you can get an S3 for just over the 350 mark. If that comes down to 300 then buying these unbranded phones for under 200 might not be as popular, hanging on and saving another 100 quid to get a well supported beast of a phone might be a better option....just a thought

• Advertisement

I was thinking that about the S3, although the S2 did stay pretty pricey last time iirc. but I need a new phone right now and wanted to try something different.

G4 sure looks nice. Latest Pics

Looks nice alright but I want my G3, theres always something better just around the corner, if I knock a year or 2 out of te G3 Ill be happy then Ill sell it and move on, might go for one of the 5" models next if theres any decent ones released by then, just wish it would hurry up and get here...

Went back to Lewaos ROM. Battery life on beta not that good. Plus I like all the extras and UI on the Lewa apart from the launcher.

Definite reports of battery drain on that JB beta, think Ill be going straight for the Lewa OS ROM myself:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1981634&page=40

Does everything else work okay with Lewa? all major apps, notification LEDs, camera etc?

Have you purchased one yet Thargor?

Yeah the day I made this thread to ask you about this phone :mad:

Singapore post tracking still says 'Package Recieved'...

Could have went with mixieshop and had the phone in my hand nearly a week ago with a free silicone case for $10 cheaper by now, lesson learned.

Bugger, sorry to hear that, who did you buy it off again?

Merimobiles, who to be fair have answered emails promptly and did serve me well before when I was ordering a lot of Xbox 360 modding gear last year, Singapore post have had it for 3 days now so hopefully Ill have it by the end of next week.

Lewa works fine, all notifications work, LED goes blue for facebook. Not sure if this is same for all others as I only noticed it because I hadnt turned the notification off yet.

Needs to be flashed with lewas own recovery, there is one in English and one in Chinese. Everything installs ok but the lewa startup screen just sticks forever. This happened both times for me now, I took battery out a few times but find it stills sticks on logo.

I managed to get into recovery but it was in Chinese.

Anyways, if anyone has the same problems, follow ALL instructions from HERE

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thargor wrote: »
    Singapore post tracking still says 'Package Recieved'...
    Mine says "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)" but of course An Post have no record of it at all. Probably sit in a shed for a month now before they even scan it. :(
    The JB ROM for the G2+ seems to be pretty good according to XDA, whatever about the G3, am I right?

EDIT: I check this morning at it's at the Dublin sort office. Monday or Tuesday then I guess. :-)

Did you order from Merimobiles aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Surely not being able to get on Facebook is a feature not a bug?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Mine says "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)" but of course An Post have no record of it at all. Probably sit in a shed for a month now before they even scan it. :(
    The JB ROM for the G2+ seems to be pretty good according to XDA, whatever about the G3, am I right?

EDIT: I check this morning at it's at the Dublin sort office. Monday or Tuesday then I guess. :-)
    Good stuff, it obviously went on a plane then, I was starting to suspect they were in a shipping container on a slow boat from China! Mine just changed to Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE) this morning aswell, it was Information Recieved last night going to bed, hopefully its monday or Tuesday for me aswell.
    Surely not being able to get on Facebook is a feature not a bug?
    Eh? Nah he means the little blinking light at the top of the phone that flashes to tell you you have texts/missed calls turns blue when you have a Facebook notification, good idea but I had to turn notifications off in FB, they were driving me mad.

Did you order from Merimobiles aswell?
    Was this for me? I used mixeshop with regular shipping.

Yeah it was, looks like they both use Singapore Post.

Dont suppose you can remember how long it took for yours to change from Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE) to the Dublin sorting office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

What is the average price people have paid for their G3?
    I'm thinking of biting the bullet and ordering one to replace my dinosaur Samsung galaxy ace.

Yeah it was, looks like they both use Singapore Post.

Dont suppose you can remember how long it took for yours to change from Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE) to the Dublin sorting office?
    I ordered on the 15th but I didn't check the tracking until yesterday. I sent a mail to An Post and they actually got back to me this morning which is pretty good going for a Customer Help mail.

Any idea how much customs will charge?

• Advertisement

What is the average price people have paid for their G3?
    I'm thinking of biting the bullet and ordering one to replace my dinosaur Samsung galaxy ace.
    160-170 Euro should get one delivered to your door, might be a letter from customs asking for 10-20 quid after that though, even though Ive imported a lot of stuff like this and never been hit by customs once, people in the bargain alerts threads always seem to though so they're definitely watching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement