Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cabbage for android

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Installed OK, this is when I run it.
    Can I get logs from running an app using adb? Let me know how.

Hero with Android 1.5 running AychTeeSee's Vanilla 3.0 ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

Ah i think its cause android 1.5..

for the address filter i am not using the Contacts.People anymore...
    Just wanted to see if it would work.
    Right ill fix it this evening...

regards,
    ryderster...

it should work on nexus or 2.1, doh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Mr E wrote: »
    Installed OK, this is when I run it.
    Can I get logs from running an app using adb? Let me know how.

Hero with Android 1.5 running AychTeeSee's Vanilla 3.0 ROM.

Should have said, you can load a tool called LogCat on your phone to collect and email logs.

Anyways you can collect via pc if you run "adb logcat"
    Or use the DDMS tool that comes with the SDK+drivers.

Either way, just run the adb, cause the force close and you should have logs.

Also if rydester has has debug info, it should be seen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seems like Ryderster already knows the issue, but here are logs anyway:
    I/ActivityManager( 83): Starting activity: Intent { action=android.intent.action.MAIN categories={android.intent.category.LAUNCHER} flags=0x10200000 comp={com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage/com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage.launchMainApp}}
    I/ActivityManager( 83): Start proc com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage for activity com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage/.launchMainApp: pid=1569 uid=10036 gids={3003}
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): VFY: unable to resolve static field 0 (CONTENT_URI) in Landroid/provider/ContactsContract$CommonDataKinds$Phone;
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): VFY: rejecting opcode 0x62 at 0x0039
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): VFY: rejected Lcom/cabbagetexter/android/cabbage/launchMainApp;.onActivityResult (IILandroid/content/Intent; )V
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): Verifier rejected class Lcom/cabbagetexter/android/cabbage/launchMainApp;
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): Class init failed in newInstance call (Lcom/cabbagetexter/android/cabbage/launchMainApp; )
    D/AndroidRuntime( 1569): Shutting down VM
    W/dalvikvm( 1569): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4000fe70)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to uncaught exception
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): java.lang.VerifyError: com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage.launchMainApp
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at java.lang.Class.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:1472)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.Instrumentation.newActivity(Instrumentation.java:1097)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2186)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2284)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1800(ActivityThread.java:112)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1692)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3948)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(NativeMethod)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:782)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:540)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 1569): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

I/Process ( 83): Sending signal. PID: 1569 SIG: 3
    I/dalvikvm( 1569): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3
    I/dalvikvm( 1569): Wrote stack trace to '/data/anr/traces.txt'
    I/Process ( 1569): Sending signal. PID: 1569 SIG: 9
    I/ActivityManager( 83): Process com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage (pid 1569) has died.

cheers for the log,
    just what I thought the issue was.
    I may try it with the new code and catch the exception which is called for the android 1.5 etc..

okay ill have a look at it this evening :)

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've given it a quick run through on my Nexus (v2.1) and its solved the issues I had with the previous version. Names are only showing up once now and selecting a name populates the field with the number.

Hi folks..

http://78.153.209.186/cabbage/Cabbage_v1_5.apk

Tried to fix the issue with the contact list with certain numbers being duplicated. But I am afraid I personally cant get that to work in android 1.5 or 1.6.

Also fixed the the auto type and one touch clear text.

As well as the 160 + characters.

If anyone with android 1.5 or android 1.6 to see if this works.

It should do.

I am going to focus on the top 10 texted numbers functionality next
    and the sent messages items.

regards ryderster

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ryderster wrote: »

Hi ryderster,

Is the above version specific to android 1.5/1.6 or just the latest build for all? Just tried it out on the Nexus One and it's gone back to the previous problem of not pulling in certain contacts numbers at all and lists contacts with no numbers. Going back to CabbageV1_08.apk which fixed these.

hi andrews76,
    well it will work with all versions of android but i cant fix the contacts lookup filtering at the moment...scratching my head all last night...

at the moment thinking of making a android 2.0 and above version... but thats the last resort... I have someone who has more experiencing with the platform having a quick look to see if they can get it to work..

going to add the other functionality required first doh...

regards,
    ryderster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

This is deadly thanks a mill
    The web wersion was Fab but I love how it pulls the phonebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm using a Nexus One (android 2.1) and it doesn't seem to be able to parse phone numbers from my contacts. Otherwise, nice app!

hi stephen,
    just working on this fix. should be ready for sunday.

regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hi stephen,
    just working on this fix. should be ready for sunday.

regards,
    ryderster

Can you mark the app as suitable for Tattoo (supports QVGA) so I can get updates from the Market?

I have a version installed on my tattoo and it is great but on the market would make it very handy.

Thanks.

emm I am not sure how to make it suitable for the Tatoo,
    I thought it was?

Em hard to know these things when I dont have access to these handsets.

Ill look into that and see how to fix it for it to work for you.

In the mean timeI have updated the application to support recently used numbers.

Next on the list is the sent and draft messages.

Regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boarderuser

Was installing Cabbage_Android_2.0.apk but version Cabbage_v1_5.apk seems to be more stable and it works better.

It does work with +353 .<and the mobile number>.... but not +353 (87) ...... it states the following error not a major issue I could just remove the brackets around 87 for all mobiles in my address book.

"Info: Invalid response received (tried to parse a page and couldn't find expected text)"

A quick way to send a contact to a short list of commonly txted people would negate the need to access the contact address book altogether. There were still some contacts in my address book it did not pull there mobile also it just left the field blank. Essentially as it works today on cabbage desktop where it has its own address book ie a short list of frequently txt people, it doesnt try to access outlook address book.

You say you have updated the version with recently used numbers where can I get this is it up on your server 78.154....?

Thanks for working on this I have to sign up to a contract and will not include txts as part of the bundle if this works for me which it seems to be coming close to being.

• Advertisement

Sorry I havent uploaded it to my server...just doing it now...
    currently the meteor accounts are experiencing problems but this is with sam's vines cabbage server.

I have uploaded the newer version for android 1.0 / 1.5 / 1.6 / 2.0 / 2.1

The contact list is still not completely fixed but the recently used numbers works quite well...

the link is: http://78.153.209.186/cabbage/Cabbage_v1_5.apk

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

still cant copy numbers from phonebook

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

A quick way to send a contact to a short list of commonly txted people would negate the need to access the contact address book altogether. There were still some contacts in my address book it did not pull there mobile also it just left the field blank. Essentially as it works today on cabbage desktop where it has its own address book ie a short list of frequently txt people, it doesnt try to access outlook address book.

+ 1 on this

Even if you have to manually add names and numbers to an address book on the program, a drop down menu like that of the mobile web version would be sweet

Great program btw. Been using it over the mobile web version as that was changing apostrophes to backslashes

Sorry I havent uploaded it to my server...just doing it now...
    currently the meteor accounts are experiencing problems but this is with sam's vines cabbage server.

I have uploaded the newer version for android 1.0 / 1.5 / 1.6 / 2.0 / 2.1

The contact list is still not completely fixed but the recently used numbers works quite well...

the link is: http://78.153.209.186/cabbage/Cabbage_v1_5.apk

I installed it on 2.1update1 and when i go into recent numbers after sending a text to one I don't see the number as it states "Not stored in phonelist <+353" and I can't see the rest of the number to see which one it is so have to click okay for it to go back to the sms entry page to see the number in the to field so would have to try all the recent numbers till i find the correct recently txt one so lots of back and forth which defeats the purpose.
    So if we were able to store the number as a preferred number within the android cabbage app and assigned it an alias it would make more sense and then there would be no need to access the address book on the phone. apologises if I am banging on about this point but isnt that how cabbage desktop app works. Accessing the phone book on the phone would be neat but hard to develop I am sure, as numbers can have spaces, brackets around the (86) or (87) and have a +353 prefix and there maybe more than one number for each contact such as landline or multiple mobile numbers. Recent numbers with an alias to signify who they are would be quick as most people only sms 3 people frequently certainly no more than 10 people frequently, just my thoughts and feedback on errors/ui issues i encountered to assist your development.

flugel wrote: »
    + 1 on this

Even if you have to manually add names and numbers to an address book on the program, a drop down menu like that of the mobile web version would be sweet

Great program btw. Been using it over the mobile web version as that was changing apostrophes to backslashes

Don't you have to root your phone to use the mobile web version of cabbage as it is java? curious as don't want to have to root it not yet anyway, although tempted to try the new HTC Sense UI interface as have stock android 2.1update1 at the moment. Sorry this is a side track but related to cabbage but not cabbage android which ryder is kind enough to develop so should be our primary app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Don't you have to root your phone to use the mobile web version of cabbage as it is java? curious as don't want to have to root it not yet anyway, although tempted to try the new HTC Sense UI interface as have stock android 2.1update1 at the moment. Sorry this is a side track but related to cabbage but not cabbage android which ryder is kind enough to develop so should be our primary app.

He's talking about this I think: http://cabbagetexter.com/web/login.htm

It's just a few basic web pages

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    He's talking about this I think: http://cabbagetexter.com/web/login.htm

It's just a few basic web pages

thanks Sam

Hi guys,
    Just added an update regarding sent message history and draft message history.

any bugs or problems, dont be afraid to let me know..

Please note:
    I havent go around to looking at the address book just yet. Next on the agenda is group text functionality.
    The address book will be looked at after that.

regards,
    ryderster

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hi ryderster,

Thanks a lot for the update, great application you have there. Much prefer the new position of the Send button.
    One issue I noticed with the Sent SMS section - if the original message contained certain characters like apostrophes or brackets then they appear differently in the Sent section e.g. ' appears as %27, ! -> %21, ) -> %29 etc. Not a big deal though. I'm using Nexus One and Swype beta incase that makes a difference.
    Also, if I press the back button when in the Sent section it closes out of cabbage rather than going back to the main screen, not a big deal either since you've got a Main Screen option in the menu.

One question, is it possible to clear the Sent and Draft SMS sections other than one message at a time?

Thanks again.

Is anyone else getting not stored in phone book and then the number but you cant see the whole number in the recent sent numbers of cabbage android? I tried changing the number in the phonebook to be the same as the number in the recently sent to no avail or is this what you mean Ryder that you have yet to fix the address book issues? Curious to know if I need to change the format of the numbers in my address book or if the app needs to be altered to cater for various number format of the address book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 muzzik

I have the same issue where it is unable to parse numbers from two google accounts on a nexus one.

It only lists contacts in the primary account, not the secondary.

Well if i type in the number again it looks like the new version puts the number first so that works alot better as you can read the recently text number now,cheers. The button position is alot better now and the history is cool.

Bug1 when sending it if rotated to landscape the app crashes and a force close is prompted.
    Bug2 when typing a long text if you type beyond the size of the typing field it types below the field size it would be better if the field scrolled to the bottom of the text so you can see what your typing.
    Bug3 if in recently sent and click into history it is buggy to get back to the texting page and the app needs to be reopened not a major issue for me to be honest functionality improvements and the first two bugs would take precedence.

Hi guys sorry, i really may subscribe to this thread...
    Okay,

I have changed the recent numbers to show the number first and then unknown.

This will address the problem until I have time to add extra functionality to store numbers used in cabbage lite to the android address book.

Google primary address book issue.
    This will be looked into it once I get time, Just hard finding time to do it in the evenings with a few things going on. I have been doing a good bit on the group text just should be ready for next saturday, trying to one update a week, apart from bug essential fixes.

Sent messages bug,
    well if u click on menu from inside any screen, u can go to where from inside cabbage lite, sorry if that isnt straight forward, i must do some tool tips. there fore you dont need to leave and restart the application

4. Delete all messages from sent and draft
    I'll include this in next weeks release as it's straightforward and doesnt require much investigation

5. Also if any one is interested in improving cabbage lite contact me on gmail, I plan to open source this once I get the basic's functionality going smooth...

6. Would anyone think being able to ready the inbox sms messages be useful?

regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi Ryderster,
    I'm using it on an N1 and love it! Very well done man. If you ever need anyone to do some testing......

Cheers,
    M

glade u find it useful.

if ya notice any problems, sure let me know.

Nexted I'm goingg to work on multiple messages over the weekend.

I hope your address book lookup is working correctly.

If you have any ideas just send them on and i'll add them to my list.

regards,
    ryderster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Lookup is working perfect since last update but was not working at all before that on my N1. I used the app so much when I had an iPhone and missed it loads when I moved over but thanks to you mate all is well again :-)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

For some reason I cannot get the program to look up the phonebook at all. It just pops up the keyboard. Using 2.1 (HTC Legend)

can you send on a screen shot?
    this might sound like a stupid question but have you any contacts stored in the phone book?

Also if you type a name of someone in your phonebook, does a drop down list appear?

well the screenshot would be just the main screen. whatever i type into the recipient field, there's no help at all. i tested it by putting a random "aasfdiadfa" type deal into it yesterday and it sent the test message to the "aasfdiadfa" without asking, who knows what it translated into.

so no drop down lists at all, and yeah i got loads of people in my phonebook

Hi Snowblind.

Sorry if this sounds like trivial questions but to find out the fault/bug I have to check a number of things.

For example if you have a person called David Temp in your phone book. Type in David or temp or part of his phone number.

His name and number should be an option in the drop down box.

If it isn't let me know.

Also where do you have your numbers stored? phone, sim, etc...
    What version of android it your phone running?
    Build Number?
    Did the older version work for you?

Hi Snowblind.

Sorry if this sounds like trivial questions but to find out the fault/bug I have to check a number of things.

For example if you have a person called David Temp in your phone book. Type in David or temp or part of his phone number.

His name and number should be an option in the drop down box.

If it isn't let me know.

Also where do you have your numbers stored? phone, sim, etc...
    What version of android it your phone running?
    Build Number?
    Did the older version work for you?
    It's cool dude, thanks for replying so promptly!

I can type whatever I want to the recipient field but nothing happens. Basically, the field behaves exactly like the message field bar the prediction not being on. Typing a name or beginning of a number yields no pop ups or anything.

The contacts are on the phone, imported them from sim and google / facebook when started using this handset.

It's android 2.1 with HTC Sense UI unrooted. Build number 1.23.405.1 CL139791 release-keys

I got this version of cabbage on the market yesterday, haven't used earlier versions

I can type whatever I want to the recipient field but nothing happens. Basically, the field behaves exactly like the message field bar the prediction not being on. Typing a name or beginning of a number yields no pop ups or anything.

Okay, this shouldnt be happening obviously

The contacts are on the phone, imported them from sim and google / facebook when started using this handset.

So this shouldn't be a problem so.

It's android 2.1 with HTC Sense UI unrooted. Build number 1.23.405.1 CL139791 release-keys

A different release of 2.1 to the version I have. Maybe something has changed in the version. I currently have nexus running 2.1

Is that the meteor version of the legend?

I may look into it when I get a chance but be some evening during the week.

Hope thats soon enough for you.
    Regards,
    ryderster

Yeah it's the Meteor version alright. Cheers for looking into it. I'm in no hurry so take your time! My free contract inclusive texts won't run out anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ryderster, be aware that HTC's Sense UI may be introducing the bug, "Sense" overwrites much of Android and atleast on the Hero (1.5) it has loads of bugs surrounding telephony features.

In other words Htc's Sense has broken some of Androids stable API's.

I have not got a 2.1 device with Sense on it so cant be sure if there updated Sense is the same but its something to keep in mind when debugging the issue

• Advertisement

Cheers for the tip Draffodx.

I might try get my hands on one of the handsets. Or try install it on my nexus.. just a bit nervous of bricking it.. haha

ah sure, reason to give it ago now :)
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

ryderster, posted this in the original cabbage thread but Sam told me to put it here instead....

Great app Just got my first Android device (HTC Desire) and Cabbage works a treat!

I noticed when downloading other applications from the market it tells you what they will have access to on the phone before you install.
    Would it be possible for cabbage to get access to the mobile data connection so it could switch it on and off itself when sending a message??

Would be an excellent feature imho. I keep mobile data and wifi switched off unless I need them (to extend the battery life between charges) and I've to switch data back on before I send a message, so it would be a killer feature.

BTW I'm using cabbage perfectly on my HTC Desire 2.1 Sense, so the legend issue in the post above may not be related to 2.1 and the sense interface. hth

Hi lafors,
    That sounds like a great feature.
    I'll add it to the list and hopefully get that sorted for next week.

Any other ideas send them on..

Regards,
    Christian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

lafors wrote: »
    BTW I'm using cabbage perfectly on my HTC Desire 2.1 Sense, so the legend issue in the post above may not be related to 2.1 and the sense interface. hth

Might be worthwhile passing on the Build number, there is one build of HTC Sense on the Hero that works fine and another newer build that doesn't

draffodx wrote: »
    Might be worthwhile passing on the Build number, there is one build of HTC Sense on the Hero that works fine and another newer build that doesn't

Build number
    1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi Guys, Downloaded this onto the HTC Desire but I don't see any way of accessing the phone book or contacts list. How do I do this? or do I just type in the number and select from recent contacts?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Downloaded this onto the HTC Desire but I don't see any way of accessing the phone book or contacts list. How do I do this? or do I just type in the number and select from recent contacts?

type letters, so if you want to txt someone called dave, then type da and then a list will appear with all people with da in their name.
    idiot proof ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

lafors wrote: »
    idiot proof
    in theory ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tried that but nothing happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

adrian522 wrote: »

I downloaded it from the Android Market onto my Desire & it just worked first time? When sending the message I just entered the name of the person & it brought up all the people who matched that.

must be me then , tried re installing but no joy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement