Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Android: BQ Aquaris E5 4G

Options
  • 06-02-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Sorry if I'm posting this is the wrong place but I couldn't really find anything on this phone or the topic anywhere else.

I'm hoping to find an Android phone for €250 or less, with a decent camera and relatively decent screen if possible, though camera is definitely the priority.

I thought it was a big ask but this looks pretty promising. Obviously paying less you're not going to get the best phone available but I'm wondering for my budget would this be a good choice? I know you could get cheaper in China but ideally I'd like something I could just buy and use without having to root it or anything, and that would get here quickly enough.

I've looked up reviews myself and from what I've seen it seems to be pretty decent for the price, but most of the reviews are in Spanish and I can only google translate so much. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? (Or can understand Spanish and kindly give me a summary of reviews?) Or if anyone has any better suggestions that suit my needs?

I'd really appreciate any help with this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

It's not that much cheaper and the main camera is only 5MP compared to 12.8MP on the Aquaris E5. It also has a 4.5" screen compared to the 5" on Aquaris. And as far as I can tell they both run the same version of Android at the moment. I'll do some more research on it later but it's looking like the Aquaris would be the better option. Thanks for the suggestion though :) There are so many phones I wouldn't usually consider because they're not very popular in Ireland and that's definitely one of them.

Thank you for that! I saw that last night. That's for the Full HD version, there are two different versions of the E5: 4G and Full HD. And unfortunately, I can find very few English reviews for the 4G version. I found one which seemed ok, was just looking for a second opinion :) I'm stuck between the better screen of the FHD and obviously the speed of the 4G. I'm thinking 4G because my 1hr+ train commute each way would be much more bearable if I could easily watch YouTube without minutes of buffering between seconds of video.

I'll probably just order the E5 4G this weekend, I'm dying to get a new phone! Thanks for your help :)

no probs
    but if you are on a train would the signal not be going in and out?

• Advertisement

It does, but there are certain portions of the trip where it's pretty solid, it's just not fast enough. I have 4G on my work phone and, granted it's not fast 100% of the time due to the signal, but I think there's a noticeable difference. I'll check it again this evening and see. I would really like a great screen and maybe the difference isn't sufficient enough to warrant buying the 4G over the FHD... So many decisions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

aisoconnor wrote: »
    It does, but there are certain portions of the trip where it's pretty solid, it's just not fast enough. I have 4G on my work phone and, granted it's not fast 100% of the time due to the signal, but I think there's a noticeable difference. I'll check it again this evening and see. I would really like a great screen and maybe the difference isn't sufficient enough to warrant buying the 4G over the FHD... So many decisions :P

I'm in the same boat as yourself, looking at an android for about the budget, you would think that the 4g network will be progressively rolled out here so if your keeping the phone for 2 years the 4g becomes more important the more 4g is rolled out, personally I'd be getting a 4g...keen to have a look at this one though

That's it exactly, Mehapoy! 4G's starting to take off here and I don't change my phone very often so I'd hope to get one that could keep up for a couple of years. This one seems really good for the price, I'm just hoping it's not too good to be true! I'm assuming it's just cheaper because it's a smaller brand than Samsung/Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smashedhat

Hey,
    Did u buy the Aquaris? I am going to buy my first ever decent phone (well, smartphone) in the next few days and I'm torn between the Moto G 4g and the Aquaris 4G. Same problem as yourself, all the reviews are in Spanish. The Moto has unlimited reviews online, and all great reviews, so it seems like the Moto is the safer bet.But is this just because the Aquaris isn't sold in English speaking countries. Is it an amazing secret? And possibly better than the Moto. The better camera is leaning me towards the Aquaris.
    Did u buy it? If so, I'd love to hear what you think..

Advertisement