Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film 2011 with Claudia Winkleman

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:37pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think there was a previous thread for this show but I can't find it so mods can delete this if necessay.
    So what are your guys opinions on the show now so many months after JR is gone?
    When Ross was presenting I always watched the show and really enjoyed it,maybe because his tastes and opinions were similiar to my own but I'm not too pushed about the new show,just finding it hard to like it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Winkleman has NO credetials to be a reviewer, she's not a film buff nor has anything real knowledge of the biz, she's a hack...a sub par late night tv cake face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I will openly admit I was not keen on the idea of having Claudia Winkleman on the show, but I actually don't mind it, they have a reviewer on the show for reviewing, who often disagrees with Winkleman.

Don't really object to the "everyman", no degree in film studies approach to reviewing, so happy enough with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I like it, I'd even say better than Ross's tenure. Claudia isn't a critic but she's obviously a film fan, and the guy along side her has the credentials, and I like their conversational style banter while discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Why cant she do the show on her own. Barry Norman didnt need somebody to "chat" to when he did show.
    Absolutely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I was disgusted at the new format i.e. Claudia and Danny Leigh. As was said already, why does she have to have a co-host? Didnt like it at all. But I gave it a chance and now Im actually kind of liking the new format. Danny knows his stuff and I agree with his reviews, he's been spot on. He's like the perfect antidote to Claudia's exuberance. I do like Claudia though, ok I admit, I fancy her somewhat, but at the same time she has a certain amount of charm about her. She can be genuinely funny at times and I like the way she doesnt even attempt to be fair and diplomatic. If she doesnt like something she says as much straight out. Together though theres good chemistry between them and I think they're onto a winner.

• Advertisement

Time to give this a bump.........

Its been 2 years and I think they're doing well. Could've been terrible(RTEs attempt to rob the format was a disaster....take a bow Mairead farrell)but I find it a more enjoyable show than the Jonathan Ross version. Although the top 5s are a bit naff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Tbh I haven't watched since the first few episodes since they took over,I just prefer Ross's style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is it too late to say it should have gone to Kermode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Claudia states that she "likes something" or "doesn't like something" and rarely expands in depth. Thankfully Danny offers the viewer a little bit more detail as to why we should or should not catch a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jonathan Woss was useless and Claudia Winkleman is just as bad. Barry Norman was the best at the job. It was a bad day when he defected to Sky. The only person who could save the "Film" format is Mark Kermode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The only person who could save the "Film" format is Mark Kermode.

I was thinking the same thing. I've pretty given up on the program at this stage, Winkelman is abysmal. Kermode or die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I'm actually quite amazed that so many people here strongly dislike the show in its current format...

Admittedly, Claudia is just like Marmite - you either love her or you hate her.

Well, I certainly love her - and think that she and Danny are a great double act, if not quite one like Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman on Pointless.

And I think she does know that no-one can be quite as good on this show as Barry Norman was, no matter the format.

I'm actually quite amazed that so many people here strongly dislike the show in its current format...

Admittedly, Claudia is just like Marmite - you either love her or you hate her.

Well, I certainly love her - and think that she and Danny are a great double act, if not quite one like Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman on Pointless.

And I think she does know that no-one can be quite as good on this show as Barry Norman was, no matter the format.

+1.
    I like Claudia too. She can be annoyingly vague as to why she doesnt like something(although that could be down to editing) but she is funny. Nobody will ever match Barry norman, dont think anybody could argue with that. The little comments he'd throw into his reviews where he'd rip someone out of it where great. I remember one time he said, in reference to Escape to victory, that Michael Caine was the best fed prisoner of war he'd ever seen. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mark Kermode reviews films on the BBC News channel on Film 24, its excellent. Only 10 minutes odd, just him and one of the regular news readers/reporters. Short clip of the film and discussion of the film.

Its online on the BBC website:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21202207

(hopefully that's viewable without a proxy)

Still watch Film 20 whatever as I enjoy the main reviews from Danny Leigh. As have been mentioned the top fives are a bit desperate a lot of the time.

Advertisement