Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy's interviewing

• 04-02-2011 11:27pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

I think this needs its own thread, its a debate we see every week when "Tubs" constantly ruins a chance for a good interview with interesting guests due to his poor interviewing skills and general smugness.

My main annoyance with him is his overplaying of the whole "Irish in you" bollocks you talks to every foreign guest.

Even as someone with somewhat nationalist views, "Tubs" constant overplaying of guests Irish history, Irish like characteristics, Irish traits, travelling in Ireland, is completely boring and OTT at this stage.

In fact it is cringeworthy whenever there is a non Irish guest and Tubs forces Ireland into every conversation.

Its the same in every interview. Yes this is Ireland, but we dont want it shoved down the throats of every single guest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

DB10 wrote: »
    I think this needs its own thread, its a debate we see every week when "Tubs" constantly ruins a chance for a good interview with interesting guests due to his poor interviewing skills and general smugness.

My main annoyance with him is his overplaying of the whole "Irish in you" bollocks you talks to every foreign guest.

Even as someone with somewhat nationalist views, "Tubs" constant overplaying of guests Irish history, Irish like characteristics, Irish traits, travelling in Ireland, is completely boring and OTT at this stage.

In fact it is cringeworthy whenever there is a non Irish guest and Tubs forces Ireland into every conversation.

I have to totally disagree with you, he is one of the best presenters on t.v. he has a great sense of humour... and puts his interviewees at ease...

Its the same in every interview. Yes this is Ireland, but we dont want it shoved down the throats of every single guest.

I totally disagree with you, he is the best presenter on t.v./radio, his has a brilliant sense of humour particularly on the radio and puts his interviewees at ease as soon as they come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

reeta wrote: »
    I totally disagree with you, he is the best presenter on t.v./radio, his has a brilliant sense of humour particularly on the radio and puts his interviewees at ease as soon as they come on.

Tell that to Robbie Williams, Howard Marks, Juliet Binoche and Gordon Ramsay.

The only ones that are "at ease" are the RTE 'celebs' that he meets every day in the canteen that he wheels out onto the show for the millionth time when proper guests are short on the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I'm sure Rhys Ifans would disagree with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

He's a JOKE is what he is. The most obnoxious and silly questions and interjections, you couldn't find a worse interviewer than him in all of Ireland.

I've been telling people this ever since Tubridy Tonight, even Pat Kenny was better on the LLS than him. But with Tubridy it seems like he's actually getting worse as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

I agree 100% with the OP. The worst bit for me is when he has an interesting guest on and insists on talking to them about something entirely unrelated to what they were there to talk about!
    For example when Richard Dawkins was a guest on TLLS, Tubbers brought everything back to 'the god delusion', even having audience members have a pop at him when he was there to promote his book on evolution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

telekon wrote: »
    The only ones that are "at ease" are the RTE 'celebs' that he meets every day in the canteen that he wheels out onto the show for the millionth time when proper guests are short on the ground...

The extent of the RTE merry-self-important-promotion-goround is astounding.

It's not going unnoticed by the public at large so it can't be long before the RTE building is sacked by Egyptian style protestors. On the effigy scale of unpopularily, Tubridys will almost certainly outnumber Kennys ... I'm making mine already...

Kenny was awkward in the role but he's never been smug or self-important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

First off i'll start by saying Tubridy will host the late late for YEARS to come. No matter how bad. And thats not because of nepotism. Its because everyone watches the f*cking thing. If only to moan about how bad he is. The viewing figures speak for themselves, the highest they have been in years. Advertising justifies his wages also. If you want him off the TV then DO NOT WATCH.

Personally, I watched him last year. I was never a fan of Tubridy tonight and didn't think he was any worse on the late late than he was on his Saturday Night show. The Late Late brings alot more scrutiny though and he is under the microscope now.
    The key to being a good host is that you need to appear to be an expert on all topics (even if you are not) and the viewer needs to believe this is so. Tubridy does not fit this criteria.

I like my sport and Movies in particular, and when I see a movie star or sports figure on the late late my initial interest in hearing what they have to say is almost immediately shot down by my knowledge of the fact that Tubridy has clearly no f*cking clue about either of these topics in any great detail. So we are faced with a generic line of questioning which is in theory insulting to the audience watching, as its really an idiots guide to football or boxing or the oscars or whatever. When we see a movie star, we are treated to a clip of such person in a movie/TV from years gone by which is often followed by a bemused look on that persons face as if to say, "is that all you remember me for".

And thats only 2 topics of conversation that I find particularly interesting (movies and sport). Others will say the same about other topics such as his inability to go in depth into politics without showing FF preferences (although not as bad as some make out).

Rather than be a jack of all trades like a good host should be, Tubridy is really a very niche market expert on books and such. The guy also has a clear interest in US politics and his face lights up when the topic is brought up.

A good interviewer will make someone feel at ease in order to draw out more information, get them to open up in a comfortable but unforced environment. Tubridy makes people feel at ease but only in a way that makes the interviewee feel that they will get a cushy ride to promote their book or whatever. And the really top guests who are used to interview after interview are bored by the lack of challenge posed by this lightweight.

He comes across as a nice guy, has quite little grasp of life outside his own D4 bubble but this is not his own fault obviously, so the viewer finds it hard to relate to him. At first sign of confrontation he will back down and bow to a guest so he loses respect from them which ends any chance of an intriguing interview. He is like the mate who longs for you to open up to her but you don't feel in any way comfortable doing that and his efforts to draw you out make you retreat even further.
    Couple all of that with his refusal to deviate from scripted questions so it never seems like a chat. Its like he sets an agenda, talk about family for 5 minutes, career for 5 and future plans for another 5. How many times have you seen Tubridy ask a question only for things to go off on a tangent where they end up forgetting the original question or else jokingly come back to the question later? Thats usually a good sign when that happens because its off the cuff, but he always keeps it to the script. he cannot cut loose. Must not deviate from the usual line of questioning Ryan, he tells himself.

I won't even the mention his obsession with asking about Irish connections, dead family members etc.... as thats plain to see every week.

Bottom line, he is a nice bloke. totally out of touch with the average person but he doesnt have the humour, charisma (or talent if we are honest) to compensate for being out of touch. Its a natural thing, lack of common touch. And its not becasue he is a bad bloke who doesn't care, its just a noticeable lack of common touch. He doesnt have the tools you cannot teach to be a good host, the natural instincts.

But the vitriol towards him is a joke aswell. The way people tune in to watch to criticise is very funny. I know people on here have a laugh at it, but if you do not watch he does not get ratings and advertising will not be sufficient to cover his wages. Figures at an all time high indicate he must be doing a sterling job so then you need to take a good look at the person who is watching perceived rubbish every week.

I'd walk to Dublin in the morning naked to host the show for his wages so he would be an idiot to turn it down or pack it in.

The biggest culprits are the RTE executives who should have an eye for talent. They have handpicked him as the golden boy of RTE, so if anyone needs the vitriol its them. And as always is the case with Ireland, he will turn into a legend but not by virtue of his talent, rather the fact he has been around for so damn long and people will accept him as a permanent part of the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Oho! Its you Ryan isn't it, you cheeky scamp! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Get away out it. He is awful and only has the gig due to family connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 caromike

fianna failer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He should watch Conan on tv3, see what a professional talk show host looks like. people like Johnathan Ross are leagues ahead of Tubridy, who is the very definition of playing it safe. nice gentle questions that dont upset the nanas who watch the LLS. Ross at least has a laugh with the guests (or had before he got canned) and the show was fun to watch, the LLS is like watching dull paint dry dully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The Late Late used to be a show where pretty much anything could happen. It was primarily an entertainment chat show, but there could be political debate and proper discourse on it. Now I'm no fan of Gay Byrne, but during his tenure, the show did some pretty impressive, ground-breaking (for Ireland) stuff. The Bishop Casey scandal, debates over contraception being introduced to the country. The show had a proper purpose.

Now, however, The Late Late is just a platform for Tubridy's insipid, sycophantic starfucking. He is an absolutely dreadful interviewer, stuttering over questions that are softball beyond measure. And he struggles to present his show in a style that emulates the American presenters. Most of which were comedians or comedy writers. Tubridy is dreadful at that style. Pat Kenny wasn't great, but he is pretty good at political subjects and isn't Tubridy bad. Hopefully the show wont last, as I'm sick of RTE using license fees to pay this prat.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

krudler wrote: »
    He should watch Conan on tv3, see what a professional talk show host looks like. people like Johnathan Ross are leagues ahead of Tubridy, who is the very definition of playing it safe. nice gentle questions that dont upset the nanas who watch the LLS. Ross at least has a laugh with the guests (or had before he got canned) and the show was fun to watch, the LLS is like watching dull paint dry dully
    Agreed, Ross is a brilliant host.

The television industry in this country is a closed shop, you rarely see actual presenters and tv hosts doing shows because they are good at it. Its because of family, media etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Where would I even start... refer to my previous 9196 posts..

Jayob10 wrote: »
    But the vitriol towards him is a joke aswell. The way people tune in to watch to criticise is very funny. I know people on here have a laugh at it, but if you do not watch he does not get ratings and advertising will not be sufficient to cover his wages.

I think what bugs me most is that people in public service seem to be rewarded for mediocrity, just because they are well connected... A million euro for this lad? I think ex Financial Regulator Pat Neary was better value for money...

I do tune in to laugh at him... I know the word Alan Partridge is probably overused in reference to him, but he's actually become the real life embodiment of that character.. I uploaded this a while ago, it's a snapshot of the sort of rubbish he comes out with on the radio show every morning.. ..

Same forced (supposedly humourous) metaphors, making up of his own words, singing, awkward conversations with guests... it's all there.. And I beat when Steve Coogan hears his forced, uncomfortable conversation with the newsreaders, I bet he's thinking "Jesus that would have been great on the show"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I think what bugs me most is that people in public service seem to be rewarded for mediocrity, just because they are well connected... A million euro for this lad? I think ex Financial Regulator Pat Neary was better value for money...

I do tune in to laugh at him... I know the word Alan Partridge is probably overused in reference to him, but he's actually become the real life embodiment of that character.. I uploaded this a while ago, it's a snapshot of the sort of rubbish he comes out with on the radio show every morning.. ..

Same forced (supposedly humourous) metaphors, making up of his own words, singing, awkward conversations with guests... it's all there.. And I beat when Steve Coogan hears his forced, uncomfortable conversation with the newsreaders, I bet he's thinking "Jesus that would have been great on the show"..

I hear you, but your response to this mediocrity is to keep watching. Thats a reflection on you too. You say people are happy with mediocrity but clearly you are too if you watch every week.
    In this game, viewing figures will determine how successful he is and how much advertising revenue he can generate. And its as high as its ever been. Nothing to do with his talent, rather the people who are happy with watching rubbish (yourself included) tuning in week in week out.

I mean this post with the greatest of respect, but tuning in to moan and whinge is just as stereotypical of us Irish as you claim Tubs to be a parody of Partridge.
    I'll repeat what I said, if you don't like it don't watch it. Viewing figures will determine whether he continues or not.

I hear you, but your response to this mediocrity is to keep watching. Thats a reflection on you too. You say people are happy with mediocrity but clearly you are too if you watch every week.

well it's not quite that I get in the popcorn, get all the friends round and have a Tubridy night in ;) .. I always have it on in the background while I'm doing a bit of work on a website, having a drink, chatting on here etc... I dont have the channels so my viewing options are limited..

But you made the point yourself (and I agree) that unless RTE pull the LLS altogether, Tubridy is NOT going to be fired or replaced.. The job is his, no matter how poor he is, until he should choose to retire himself.. so whether 2 million people watch it or nobody watches it, the host will stay the same..

He has NO natural feel for interviewing, and we are paying him a million euro a year.. If he can justify in his own head pulling a million euro from the state coffers for giving mediocre performances, then he deserves to be criticised.. In any proper private business he would be moved on to something else.. He should have been moved on to being the American correspondent when Charlie Bird left, I thought that job would have been ideal for him.. him being in love with all things yankee..

well it's not quite that I get in the popcorn, get all the friends round and have a Tubridy night in ;) .. I always have it on in the background while I'm doing a bit of work on a website, having a drink, chatting on here etc... I dont have the channels so my viewing options are limited..

But you made the point yourself (and I agree) that unless RTE pull the LLS altogether, Tubridy is NOT going to be fired or replaced.. The job is his, no matter how poor he is, until he should choose to retire himself.. so whether 2 million people watch it or nobody watches it, the host will stay the same..

He has NO natural feel for interviewing, and we are paying him a million euro a year.. If he can justify in his own head pulling a million euro from the state coffers for giving mediocre performances, then he deserves to be criticised.. In any proper private business he would be moved on to something else.. He should have been moved on to being the American correspondent when Charlie Bird left, I thought that job would have been ideal for him.. him being in love with all things yankee..

But its a vicious circle, He does justify his wages as advertising is premium price during LLS transmission. The more people who watch the LLS the higher the price of ads during that slot. So advertising more than covers Tubridys salary. Thats the reality. If nobody watched, advertising prices would be drastically reduced and RTE would have to cut their cloth accordingly i.e Tubridy would be on less money as that would be what the market dictated.

The people decide, if you watch you contribute to his success. If people turned off I think you would be surprised in seeing that RTE would have to actually take action, whether that means salary reduction or moving him on. Right now they have no reason to.

Thats an indictment on people who watch I reckon. If you like it then all when and good, enjoy. But if you cannot stand it, and claim he needs to be moved on and you also watch it, then thats quite a ridiculous contradiction.

Irish people will always watch the LLS regardless of who is hosting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Average_Joe

Are you guys being serious. Tubridy does a great job. I watch the show every week and love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Are you guys being serious. Tubridy does a great job. I watch the show every week and love him.

That you Ryan? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Average_Joe

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    That you Ryan? :confused:
    No. Sure all we want is for him 2 ask sum famous people questions dares no more really to it. People get way 2 caught up in dis ananalitical nonsense twill drive ye mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No. Sure all we want is for him 2 ask sum famous people questions dares no more really to it. People get way 2 caught up in dis ananalitical nonsense twill drive ye mad.

:confused:

English please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Whos DLB ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So you wouldnt agree that the only reason this talentless gombeen got to where he is in RTE was because of his corrupt FF mafia family connections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yes, but is that the opinion of the average joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've only really watched the late late twice since Tubridy has taken over. The last show was one of those times as I happen to have been at my folks place. It's a tradition for many older people to watch it as it, at least, used to be an institution. These guys make up a lot of the viewing figures and with times gone bad you'll find more people staying home and tuning in. Not everyone will have NTL, I know my folks can't even get it. Channels are limited and as bad as the late late is the competition is probably worse. That's my take on ratings and all.

Having said that, and having watched it, and indeed having to listen to his radio show a few times I'm beyond appalled at the guy. He couldn't act more disingenuine.
    He speaks over his guests answers without listening to them, asks questions in horrifyingly bad taste. You can actually see guests becoming upset and pausing to gather themselves and he trundles on regardless.
    Cringeworthy is the most over used term on here for him but it's the most accurate. In fact he could go down as the definition. He is for me, the most socially inept and emotionally insensitive ****wit I've ever seen on television. And aside from the obviously horrendous questions he asks, the rest are pure rubbish and always off topic for the guest as well. He doesn't ever seem to have an idea of subject matter and just grins and gurnies his way through everything.
    Somebody must notice how badly he presents and interviews surely. His radio show is something else though. Keep a bucket close at hand because the guy is living in his own sycophantic little land, and it's a disgusting place.

Shryke wrote: »
    I've only really watched the late late twice since Tubridy has taken over. The last show was one of those times as I happen to have been at my folks place. It's a tradition for many older people to watch it as it, at least, used to be an institution. These guys make up a lot of the viewing figures and with times gone bad you'll find more people staying home and tuning in. Not everyone will have NTL, I know my folks can't even get it. Channels are limited and as bad as the late late is the competition is probably worse. That's my take on ratings and all.

Having said that, and having watched it, and indeed having to listen to his radio show a few times I'm beyond appalled at the guy. He couldn't act more disingenuine.
    He speaks over his guests answers without listening to them, asks questions in horrifyingly bad taste. You can actually see guests becoming upset and pausing to gather themselves and he trundles on regardless.
    Cringeworthy is the most over used term on here for him but it's the most accurate. In fact he could go down as the definition. He is for me, the most socially inept and emotionally insensitive ****wit I've ever seen on television. And aside from the obviously horrendous questions he asks, the rest are pure rubbish and always off topic for the guest as well. He doesn't ever seem to have an idea of subject matter and just grins and gurnies his way through everything.
    Somebody must notice how badly he presents and interviews surely. His radio show is something else though. Keep a bucket close at hand because the guy is living in his own sycophantic little land, and it's a disgusting place.
    post of the week nomination.

As for the line in bold, check out the LLS show thread sometime. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

But the vitriol towards him is a joke aswell. The way people tune in to watch to criticise is very funny. I know people on here have a laugh at it, but if you do not watch he does not get ratings and advertising will not be sufficient to cover his wages. Figures at an all time high indicate he must be doing a sterling job so then you need to take a good look at the person who is watching perceived rubbish every week.

It's like a car crash... some people can't help but look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have to disagree.
    I watched the Late Late Show when Gay and Pat hosted it and I found them fusty and very stiff.
    Ryan is much more warm and approachable and he has the entertainment factor. I mean, why do Irish people feel the need to condemn every single person on telly?
    For God's sake, he's there for entertainment and nothing more and if you dont' like him, turn off!
    Bloody misery guts the whole lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

If you want him off the TV then DO NOT WATCH.

We have no infuence over the ratings. Its the people are with TAM ratings boxes who have all the power in this respect. (still, I think?)

We must find out who these people are and introduce them to the joys of graham norton...

telekon wrote: »
    We have no infuence over the ratings. Its the people are with TAM ratings boxes who have all the power in this respect. (still, I think?)

We must find out who these people are and introduce them to the joys of graham norton...

introduce them to the joys of graham norton's interviewing skills.

phew.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have to disagree.
    I watched the Late Late Show when Gay and Pat hosted it and I found them fusty and very stiff.
    Ryan is much more warm and approachable and he has the entertainment factor. I mean, why do Irish people feel the need to condemn every single person on telly?
    For God's sake, he's there for entertainment and nothing more and if you dont' like him, turn off!
    Bloody misery guts the whole lot of you.
    for a fussy onion...you're not so fussy! :D

He's a tool, but he's still better than Pat Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Get away out it. He is awful and only has the gig due to family connections.

And dont forget the "royal connections":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

His life experience is the 10 minute walk from UCD to RTE. In terms of interview he cannot connect with anyone, famous or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Tubridy seems like the type of guy who says sorry after he cums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I genuinely cannot watch or listen to Tubbers for more than 5 seconds without feeling queasy.

I'm sure he has some talent, but interviewing people in an entertaining & interesting way is not one of them. I find him insincere, patronising, unfunny & condescending.

I'm no fan of Brendan O'Connor but caught his interview with Kenny Egan this weekend. He handled it very well and guided a clearly nervous Egan very skillfully & compassionately throughout the interview. I dread to think what Tubbers would have done with Egan....

The Late Late Show could have Elvis, Gandhi, John Lennon & Billy Connolly as guests on the same night & he would still make a pig's mickey of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Maybe the quality if the show would improve was reduced from 2 1/4 hours to 1 1/4.
    There is no place for 2 weekly chat shows on RTE.
    And why the Late Late anyway,
    Its hanging on to the old values, we dont need it.
    Get a presenter like Norton or Paul OGrady to liven things up a bit.
    To hell with RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can you please provide me with some examples of this "ease" you speak of?

I'm not being an asshole here i just cannot see how your statement can be true.

I find his interviews make the interviewees quite uneasy to be honest. I'm referring to real genuine guests, not the RTE canteen brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement