Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop problems - #2 - 07 fail

• 21-09-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Well,

I have a Compaq presario laptop. Since yesterday it won't load up (loads up half way through the windows screen and half way though loading it stops, shows a blue screen and then restarts. I ran a Hard disk test and it comes up as a #2- 07 fail. Anyone shed some light on this? I really hope i haven't lost everything as there is lots on it very important to me.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. (If i'm posting in the wrong section could someone send me in the right direction.)

Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will it start in Safe Mode? Doesn't sound very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nope, won't start in any thing. Tried them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

To try getting the data off the hard-drive, use a Linux boot disk.

If the data is recoverable, that will allow you access and copy it off to a CD-R or memory stick.

Thanks, any idea's on where i could get one? Rough idea on price if u know would be great. Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks, any idea's on where i could get one? Rough idea on price if u know would be great. Thanks lads

You can download one (for free) or you could buy any of the Linux magazines, they always have a Linux boot disk on the cover. Magazines are around €6.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You can download one (for free) or you could buy any of the Linux magazines, they always have a Linux boot disk on the cover. Magazines are around €6.

Lol, i'll have to buy it, no idea what to do with downloading it and getting it onto the laptop. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You download it and then use a burning program like nero or alcohol to burn it to a cd or dvd (depending on the version you download), Just make sure you burn it as a disc image not just burn it staight to the disc as that won't work as a bootable disc.

MC

Tried hooking up the hard drive to a friends computer as an external and no joy. I'm going to have to send it off to get all my stuff on it, i can't afford to loose it. Hopefully i won't loose all the info on it. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Hi dont mean to hijack this thread but didnt feel necessary to start a new thread when im having the exact same problem. Its a compaq presario running on windows xp. Yesterday for no apparent reason it simply wouldnt load. get a black screen telling me that windows couldnt start properly etc. tried safe mode, tried back to last settings when it worked etc.
    Im a complete novice when it comes to computers and was wondering if there is any hope for it? no idea about using it as an external, using linux?its about 2 years old by the way, am i better off just bringing it in to pc world where i bought it?all help greatly appreciated.thanks

Sounds the same as mine. I left mine rot for a month (lol lack of money) and then brought it into a lad in Limerick. Movie drome is the name of the place. Great service, €100 and it was fixed (i think there is an 80euro standard charge for laptops). Anyway, didn't need a new hard drive, and i don't know what they did to get it working, but he didn't have much to report back. Lol got it home and backed up all my files. Lucky and happy days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

anyone any ideas of such a handy shop near kilkenny?

Advertisement