Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating a year having failed/ doing first year in a different course.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Okay, I'm just trying to get something straight.

If you fail a year and repeat, I've heard that it costs 1500 euro + student contribution fee. Is this true?

This isn't applicable to me anyway, my situation is that i have applied for medicine next year, and I'm currently in a course that I'm going to complete first year of this year.

From all the research I've done. Il have to pay full eu fees 9000 euro + just because i changed my mind about the course i wanted to do.

So what I'm asking is is it really that much cheaper to fail a course and do first year again, than it is to change your mind and switch courses and do first year again?

if so, i think thats really really unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Okay, I'm just trying to get something straight.

If you fail a year and repeat, I've heard that it costs 1500 euro + student contribution fee. Is this true?

This isn't applicable to me anyway, my situation is that i have applied for medicine next year, and I'm currently in a course that I'm going to complete first year of this year.

From all the research I've done. Il have to pay full eu fees 9000 euro + just because i changed my mind about the course i wanted to do.

So what I'm asking is is it really that much cheaper to fail a course and do first year again, than it is to change your mind and switch courses and do first year again?

if so, i think thats really really unfair.

I doubt that's true, the gov will only pay for obebyear of any course once, so if you've to repeat that year or move to another course, you'd have to pay full eu fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm speaking from experience here, it costs the same to repeat a year having failed it as when you changed your mind.

The cost is shown here, add €250 for next year

https://www.tcd.ie/academicregistry/fees-payments/course-fees/UG%20EU%20Fees%201415_v1.pdf

Get onto your tutor, they'll be the one who will know for sure what the best protocol for you is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Quadrifoglio Verde is right - the government only pay for each year of your university studies once, regardless of whether it's the same course or a new one. So you get one "free" first year, one "free" second year and so on. You will have to pay full EU fees if you do another first year, it doesn't matter if it's because you failed or because you changed course. You'll go back to government-paid fees in your second year.

Sometimes they waive the fees if someone has to repeat due to illness or other extenuating circumstances - talk to your tutor if that may apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

If somebody is really sure that a course is not for them, they are better pulling out at Christmas and not completing the year, that way they will only have to pay a half years fees, rather than a full year, also be aware that if you qualify for a grant same applies, they will not pay for an extra year...

Advertisement