Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vBulletin, what do you think?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

What do you think?

I have a vB licence 10 years now but for the past 3 years I've not had an active forum. I started with vB version 3.x.x and upgraded to vB 4.x.x and I hated it. I'm now starting a new forum but was thinking of using vB 3.x.x again, would you agree to do this?

Do you have any other opinions on the vBulletin forum software?

Would you recommend using another forum software?

Thanks,

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

100%

VB3 is far better for SEO and usability.

Upgrade to VB4 nearly killed my active forum even though it looked a bit better and seemed better it destroyed the SEO.

VB3 is probably the best forum ever made in my opinion and thats based on experience and pure statistics of traffic.

If you need to downgrade you need to import forum over to something like XenForo and the back to VB3. Probably some better way of doing it now but thats how i had to do it rather than lose all the posts and members that signed up while on VB4.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Cool!

I've started a brand new forum and I've decided to go with vB3. I think vBulletin has downhill after this version.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I still use vB3 for one of my forums, http://E30owners.com

Vbulletin was dominating the forum industry with vB3.8 a few years back but then the lead developer and a few others left and things went down hill.

Tested vB4 and thought very little of it, way too many changes for my liking.

When the time comes to change I'll probably look at XenForo (formed by the ex vBulletin staff).

Agree 100%

Just some advice for your forum. Id set it to display more than 2 months worth of threads for the sake of SEO. Just leave it to maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

vBulletin is a piece of crap compared to XenForo

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »
    vBulletin is a piece of crap compared to XenForo

For a brand new forum id agree but for a forum that was built up before Xenforo was released id advise sticking with vBulletin for the sake of SEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

test2014 wrote: »
    For a brand new forum id agree but for a forum that was built up before Xenforo was released id advise sticking with vBulletin for the sake of SEO.

If you take proper care of redirects then it's the opposite. XF has had microdata markup from day 1. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/176035?hl=en

vB3 is miles better than vB4/5 but it's using 4-5 year old technology. Now there is multi quote, auto save drafts, tagging and WYSIWYG editors.

Advertisement