Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSD Paths

Options
  • 08-07-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at the Microsoft qualification paths and there seems not to be a relevant training path for my company.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsd-certification.aspx

We are a Microsoft house and 80% of our development is enterprise development for large clients on our base products, the usual data capture, reporting, document generation etc. We also do some work via web services and web front-ends, but this isn't the core business. The core business is form based on windows 7 platform.

Looking at the MCSD qualifications, the relevant one for us are :

MCSD: Windows Store Apps (C#)
    MCSD: Web Applications

However our long term strategy isn't to move to windows 8 and store apps, I can't even see how our software would work via touch screen, its very much PC based with traditional mouse and keyboard based.

This leaves me with the question, has Microsoft forgotten about us enterprise developers and assumes that everyone who is doing enterprise will be doing it via a web interface and non-enterprise work will come in through the store ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Anyone?

I'm surprised this isn't an issue for more people, unless I have misunderstood the cert paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm in the same boat. I stopped doing the MS certs for a few years as I was working on a masters degree in CS. I think I'm an MCTS or something.

Anyway, I thought it might be worth taking an exam or two to show I'm keeping up with things, and I felt exactly the same way. I don't do any tablet/cell phone development and I don't do any serious web development (I've done some minor internal websites, but I just stumbled my way through them).

I've always been focused on desktop development and neither of those tracks fit me.

Honestly, while I love C# and think it's one of the best languages to work with - I'm a bit worried/disappointed with the direction MS seems to be going. Or maybe it's just the way the market is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

70-483 suits me, but the rest are irrelevant. Meaning that if I wanted to work towards an MCSD I would have to study win 8 that we wouldn't use or go the web route which is used in niche areas of the company and contains large chunks of azure, which we won't use.

I know MS needs to push their latest tech, but when it deviates from a core market of enterprise development it makes the MCSD pointless to study for.

Disappointed.

Advertisement