Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 1.6 (05/06)

Options
  • 29-07-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Lads

Seriously thinking of picking up one of these, anyone got one?

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions.

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The A3 is a lovely car but i would advise you to try and get any other engine.That basic 1.6 engine is noisy, thirsty and slow.Its a 14 year old engine at this stage. Your best option would be the 1.6fsi, a much nicer engine.It would be faster, quieter and more econmical because its direct injection and it has a 6 speed gearbox.Also look into the 1.9tdi if your budget can stretch to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

the car I am looking at is a Sportback FST 1.6L

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes avoid the basic 1.6 litre 8 valve engine. It is ancient and should not be under the bonnet of a car being sold as a "premium" brand.

To be honest I would try and go to the UK for one as most Irish models are pretty bare on standard equipement. Even things like air conditioning and alloy wheels are on the options list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

dubmick wrote: »
    Lads

Seriously thinking of picking up one of these, anyone got one?

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions.

Cheers

Mick

Must be a better option to buy a diesel one in from the UK or the north. These cars are in the lower VRT bands and would have better standard equipment. The 2l Tdi is a good engine with a lot more grunt than the 1.6 petrol.

thanks lads, I think I'll buy another Golf then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't the A3 and the Golf have roughly the same engines?

Theres no "roughly" about it really,Exactly the same engines.Actually, one could say the A3 is being neglected in not been given the 140bhp and 170bhp 1.4TSI angines.The A3 is suppose to be premium aint it??What gives??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What I read is that the 1.4T engine wasn't refined enough for Audi in 140/170 spec, so they left it at 125.
    I'd agree with that decision - the 170's buzzy and sounds coarse, the 125 suits the car down to the ground.

Yea, i'd have doubts about the supercharged ones long term reliability too.Tbh, in nearly any VAG car, i would prefer the 1.8TFSI 160bhp engine.Now thats an unbelievably quiet engine!Probably more economical too

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

dubmick,
    i've just sold a '05 A3 1.6FSI Ambition. The guy is coming to pick it up this evening. Got reasonable money for it.

Sorry to disappoint you with this news.

• Advertisement

congrats Babus

just to clarify lads, would you not recommend I purchase a Sportback FST 1.6L?

Thanks for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

congrats Babus

just to clarify lads, would you not recommend I purchase a Sportback FST 1.6L?

Thanks for all the help.

Do you mean FSI or FST? Is there an FST?

maybe it's a typo

Hopefully it is.That 1.6FSI engine would be great in an A3 sportback.WAY better than the standard 1.6

Its a typo alright, theres no FST only FSI or TFSI.

dubmick,heres a few cars i selected for you.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.6-FSI/1130730/
    I wouldn't be crazy on the colour tho if you see the slightly different alloy in one of the pics i'd be a little worried
    Just had another look again yet i can't see where the alternate alloy is on the car. A bit suspicious me thinks...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.6-FSI/1016019/
    This is just the base model Attraction tho it does have climate control.
    Alloys are just the normal 15" nothing special.

They're the only 2 FSI's on the go at the moment and i have a feeling they've been there for a while on carzone. As already mentioned elsewhere cars aren't moving at the moment.

Anyway sure see what you think 'bout those.
    If it was my choice i'd go with 1st one purely for looks.

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was thinking of one of these myself, but due to budget, i'd be going a few years lower, say 01-03 range, haven't seen many great ones about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What do people think of the 2.0 FSI engine?

What do people think of the 2.0 FSI engine?

Unnecessarily big for the car. I think that would be quite hard to sell on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Whats it like for power, MPG, reliability?

Im thinking of buying one, so hopefully I will get it at a good price, as you said not the most popular choice in the current climate, but its what im after and i plan to keep it for 4-5 years.

AudiChris, do you know anything about the 1.6 FST?

• Advertisement

Whats it like for power, MPG, reliability?

Im thinking of buying one, so hopefully I will get it at a good price, as you said not the most popular choice in the current climate, but its what im after and i plan to keep it for 4-5 years.

It's 150BHP which is plenty for this car. It's FSI so it's the newer version of the 2.0 engine (more refined, better mpg). It does 6.9l/100km on the combined cycle - a hair over 40mpg, and that's not bad at all!

You might have a bit of trouble finding one though, seems like there's a couple of A3 A4 Sports and BMW A3s... :confused:
    AudiChris, do you know anything about the 1.6 FST?

1.6FSI is 115BHP and does 6.5l/100kms (43mpg). Again, it's FSI so it's the newer version of the 1.6 engine and quite a bit more refined. Certainly worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, are you looking at the standard 3-door, or the Sportback? I'm a big Audi fan but I really think the Sportsback is like an ugly sister to the standard hatch.

This one i think is pretty nice, with good spec:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.6-FSI/1095124/

And this is also pretty nice:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.6-FSI/985866/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Am I right in think that the FSI engine isn't available on 02 models?
    Budget constraints, what are they like from this era

In reference to my previous post about the FST engine, I wish to correct that statement because there is an FST availiable when i was doing a bit of research.
    Apologies for the previous incorrect information.

PS see AudiChris's post for correct info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fastman

Ive a 1.6 A3, its year 2000, but its a flyer! Nice bit a poke out of it, not too bad fuel, cant see anything wrong with her. Well proven engine.

Anyone who drives it is generally suprised by its power

:cool:

Advertisement