Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restored bass (long post)

Options
  • 01-09-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭

When I was about 17, I got a bass for Christmas from my Dad. He bought it in Pat Dolan's in Celtic Park on the northside of Dublin, and I think it cost £99. I didn't know enough at the time to realise that the neck was warped, and it buzzed really badly at the 11th fret or above on the E string, but we were in a grindcore band called Pigmeat, so it didn't really matter. It got covered in stickers, used and abused for a couple of years, and then ended up in the attic.

I don't know what make it was. It's obviously a P Bass copy, but the logo was worn (or removed) from the headstock. As a joke, I had hand painted a silver Fender logo on it after I got it (I didn't know back then that putting Fender logos on other brands was a thing). For some reason, I have it in my mind that it was an Encore, but there's nothing to identify it anywhere now. One weird thing is that it has a white plastic tab on the back, right behind the bridge. I don't know what this is for, and I've never seen it on another bass, except for one I came across in a post on TalkBass that looked identical to mine, where the owner was trying to identify the model. The consensus there was that it was Japanese, but no-one was more specific than that.

Here it is in action in the Earl Grattan on Capel St in 1993 (I was the singer, and my mate Martin actually played the bass in the band). Out minor claim to fame that night was that Smiley Bolger happened to be in the audience (he was also a neighbour of ours) and gave us a mention on The Beatbox on RTE 2 the next day.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3375&g2_serialNumber=1

Anyway, life moved on, and the bass came with me westwards, but wasn't played, and just sat quietly in the attic. Recently, I decided to take it down and do it up.

Here it is seeing the light for the first time in nearly 20 years:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3358

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3361

You can see the weird plastic knob in this one:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3367

The pickguard was smashed, the bridge was rusted, the electronics were shot - wires disconnected and scratchy pots. The pickups weren't working. The fret board was coming off the neck at the 12th fret. The knobs were missing. As I mentioned, the neck was badly warped, and it turned out that that the truss rod was gone - it wouldn't adjust at all.

So, in a project that defied any notion of economic sense, I decided to clean up and repair the bass. The stickers and newspaper cuttings were all yellowed and held on with perished Sellotape, so they all came off and I polished up the body best I could. I bought a Fender bridge, Fender pickups, Fender knobs, CTS pots, nice cloth wire and a new jack. I took a chance that a Fender '57 Precision Bass gold gold anodized pickguard would fit, and it did. The neck was beyond my skills to repair. I didn't want to splash out on a very expensive replacement, but I found one with a rosewood board, Graphtec nut and blocks for a reasonable price. The neck is a lot less chunky than the original

So here's the end result:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3355

The part of me that's still 17 wishes I could have kept the stickers, but the rest of me has moved on from that.

I still need to put a string tree on, and I want to get some kind of custom decal done up, but it plays well (for my limited abilities), looks good and was a fun project bringing a Christmas gift from 23 years ago back to life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

It looks amazing. You did a superb job.

I'm sure the mojo is still there and was not lost in the upgrade. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

nice job, jaysus the earl grattan! irelands answer to CBGB's and from what i hear was nicer, hard to believe though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

nice job, jaysus the earl grattan! irelands answer to CBGB's and from what i hear was nicer, hard to believe though.....

Yeah, the Grattan was a bit if a dive. But they charged a flat rate of £50 or somehing for the upstairs venue with a guy on the sound deck, and you got to charge what you liked on the door. So it was easy enough to cover your costs and have a good gig. Fun times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This is a great post.

Both incarnations certainly have their charms. I think I prefer the new one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Great job, phutyle.

Loved this bit:
    in a project that defied any notion of economic sense

Been there and I completely understand your motivations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Both versions look cool, great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Looks really well, nice one! Where did you source the neck if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

roast wrote: »
    Looks really well, nice one! Where did you source the neck if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers. I got the neck from Custom World Guitar Parts in the Netherlands:

I got the "P-bass rosewood neck 20 frets block inlay amber glossy finish"

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/gitaar-halzen/bass-neck.html

It's a little more "spray tan" than vintage amber, but it does the job at a good price. The blocks are what swayed me towards it. You don't see many P Bass necks with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

phutyle wrote: »
    Cheers. I got the neck from Custom World Guitar Parts in the Netherlands:

I got the "P-bass rosewood neck 20 frets block inlay amber glossy finish"

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/gitaar-halzen/bass-neck.html

It's a little more "spray tan" than vintage amber, but it does the job at a good price. The blocks are what swayed me towards it. You don't see many P Bass necks with them.

Thanks for that! Yeah, the blocks are what had me wondering, they give it a nice vibe. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Great job! Every time you play it It will bring back good memories

If your looking for a good quality decal

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/custom-guitar-headstock-decals/

• Advertisement
Advertisement