Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QR spindle "issues"

• 01-05-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

OK, this is probably futile to diagnose over the interwebs, as compared to a quick and cheap replacement down my FNBS, but out of curiosity...

My QR hub doesn't seem to be holding properly, and the back wheel persistently slides off to one side, pulled by the drive chain. Is this the sort of thing that can happen to the QR lever mechanism itself, such that it loses tightness? (Loose spring, worn cam, or some such?) Or is it more likely to be symptomatic of something else in the wheel, mounting backet, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Impossible to say without knowing the entire history of the rear wheel/QR. Maybe it's just become worn over time and needs replacing. I would replace it immediately rather than try and diagnosing the cause and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Does your rear wheel spin true when the QR is tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

alaimacerc wrote: »
    OK, this is probably futile to diagnose over the interwebs, as compared to a quick and cheap replacement down my FNBS, but out of curiosity...

My QR hub doesn't seem to be holding properly, and the back wheel persistently slides off to one side, pulled by the drive chain. Is this the sort of thing that can happen to the QR lever mechanism itself, such that it loses tightness? (Loose spring, worn cam, or some such?) Or is it more likely to be symptomatic of something else in the wheel, mounting backet, etc?

In the visit nenagh classic this year I was flying (IMO) up the last climb when the rear wheel moved and started rubbing against frame. Got off re tightened it and set off again only for the same thing to happen. Race over. The skewer itself was a lovely light jobbie but I've since got two campag ones(nice and solid) and will never sacrifice a few grams again. My first port of call would be to change the skewer and get decent ones. I learned this the hard way in my local race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Some possible causes that spring to mind:

* Damaged skewer, as already mentioned. Replace the skewer.
    * The width between the axle end caps has changed (i.e. is narrower), but this could only have happened if someone worked on the axle and made a mistake like forgetting to re-install something like a washer. In this case the problem would recur with a new skewer.
    * The skewer handle is "stiff" and while you feel resistance while closing it and believe it to be because it is closing tightly on the frame, the resistance is all within the hinge mechanism and it's not actually closing tightly on the frame at all. Lubing the skewer handle mechanism, if you can, would sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Thanks to all for the very useful input, and double-thanks (morally speaking, at least!) to Doozerie, who I think has won the money with option #3. Removing the spindle and working the action close-up, it was pretty clear it was lacking lube, which I hadn't twigged at all while trying to fix it in-place. A few drops of oil down the lever's axle and it seems to have freed up a treat.

Think I might have some other alignment issues back there, too, so I might yet have to feck it into the FNBS for a more thorough repair, but this is definitely a big step forward, conceptually and actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

what frame have you got...what type of dropouts do you have?

• Advertisement

what frame have you got...what type of dropouts do you have?

Raleigh road bike type, and... I had to google that. Horizontal or "semi-horizontal", if I'm understanding what I'm seeing and reading right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 onthebikenow

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the very useful input, and double-thanks (morally speaking, at least!) to Doozerie, who I think has won the money with option #3. Removing the spindle and working the action close-up, it was pretty clear it was lacking lube, which I hadn't twigged at all while trying to fix it in-place. A few drops of oil down the lever's axle and it seems to have freed up a treat.

Think I might have some other alignment issues back there, too, so I might yet have to feck it into the FNBS for a more thorough repair, but this is definitely a big step forward, conceptually and actually.

Make sure that the two cone shaped springs point in towards the centre of the hub. Sometimes people have the narrow side facing outwards and the spring sits over the thread of the axle which stops the wheel aligning correctly.

Make sure that the two cone shaped springs point in towards the centre of the hub. Sometimes people have the narrow side facing outwards and the spring sits over the thread of the axle which stops the wheel aligning correctly.

Happily that's one of the (few) things that's not misaligned in my back wheel setup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

replace with an allen key skewer, they hold tighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

random. exact same thing has been happening to me since i got my new bike and transferred my old wheelset onto it... when i get out of the saddle, the rear wheel immediately shifts to the point that its rubbing off the brakes and running close to one of the chain stays. thought it was due to making a change from alu to carbon and was getting stressed thinking my bike cant take my weight. gonna have a good read of the above suggestions, its been driving me nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

random. exact same thing has been happening to me since i got my new bike and transferred my old wheelset onto it... when i get out of the saddle, the rear wheel immediately shifts to the point that its rubbing off the brakes and running close to one of the chain stays. thought it was due to making a change from alu to carbon and was getting stressed thinking my bike cant take my weight. gonna have a good read of the above suggestions, its been driving me nuts

update on this, a new skewer sorted out my problem

Advertisement