Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone else finding the camera to be producing some shockingly blurry photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Beautiful piece of kit.

Lighter than a 4S

Got a nice case I saw recommended by a boardsie (which arrived last week before the phone!)

Did notice the cam is a bit meh but dont use it often.

Very fast.

Quick to unlock and root

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Incase anyone is interested, the lens ring on the camera is magnetized ;) meaning attachable lenses like these fit straight on :cool:
    desc-fisheye-1.jpg

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/new
    JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the camera to be producing some shockingly blurry photos?

Did you remove the plastic off the lens?

projectgtr wrote: »
    Did you remove the plastic off the lens?

Yeah I took that off alright. I got the odd good clear picture but about 90% are very blurry as if the camera was doing a lot of shaking while the picture is being taken but I'm holding it as still as any other camera/phone I've ever used. Theres no comparison to the Galaxy Nexus for example, thats giving a far superior result in terms of focus & clarity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bryan10

Hi, thinking of upgrading to this from an iPhone 5, what do you think guys? Is it worth the plunge away from iOS??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Yeah I took that off alright. I got the odd good clear picture but about 90% are very blurry as if the camera was doing a lot of shaking while the picture is being taken but I'm holding it as still as any other camera/phone I've ever used. Theres no comparison to the Galaxy Nexus for example, thats giving a far superior result in terms of focus & clarity :(

Did you read any reviews of the phone before you purchased?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/google-nexus-5-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have you used it with HDR turned off? Having it on slows things down as it take three shots and so is more prone to blurring.
    Google have said an cam update is on the way as well

I suppose we have to remember it's a nexus and so the Cam will never be top of the pile, it's just the way it is...

I have found the cam to be very good if care is taken in setting up the shot.
    low light shots are much improved.

Brad from Engadget takes some good shots in his review:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/05/nexus-5-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Nova launcher have released a KitKat beta version.

http://novalauncher.com/beta/

Anyone got a spare screen protector they can share? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

also interested to know what cases and/or screen protectors people are using (if any). waiting on some ismooth screen protectors to be delivered, still trying to decide on a case. mixed reviews about the different spigen cases for the n5, seems like there were some problems with the first ones off the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I went for this myself

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ESFLI40/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1

Took a punt but it seems to be getting good reviews. I'll let you know when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

How is the hangouts, messaging integration working out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

How is the hangouts, messaging integration working out?

For me it's grand but as I'm on Tesco Mobile I use the Tesco app to send all my SMS messages. I had Handcent installed but removed it.

Cheers,
    M

GrumPy wrote: »
    Did you read any reviews of the phone before you purchased?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/google-nexus-5-review

Well I purchased before it actually started shipping so no real reviews to speak of prior to that, mainly just speculation, but even so you'd expect it to at the very least match the quality & clarity of two models previous. In this day and age theres really no excuse for going down in camera quality when you upgrade to a newer phone, especially when I've stuck to the Nexus line since the Nexus One. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus so its not like I had the worlds greatest camera phone before this.
    god's toy wrote: »
    Have you used it with HDR turned off? Having it on slows things down as it take three shots and so is more prone to blurring.
    Google have said an cam update is on the way as well

I suppose we have to remember it's a nexus and so the Cam will never be top of the pile, it's just the way it is...

I have found the cam to be very good if care is taken in setting up the shot.
    low light shots are much improved.

Brad from Engadget takes some good shots in his review:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/05/nexus-5-review/
    Yeah the HDR is off alright so I really don't understand it. I'm hoping I just have a faulty device, which I'm already sending back due to a few dead pixels, but if the camera on the replacement is just as bad I may end up getting rid of it altogether and going with something else. I get that as a Nexus it'll never have the greatest camera on the market but I'd be quite happy if it could at least match the Galaxy Nexus which is two years old now.

I got this case

Pretty solid. No screen protector tho. Booo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone using anything other than the stock ROM? OR even a cool launcher?

Having spent my time with my nexus 4 on stock the whole time, I'm looking for something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

kaimera wrote: »
    I got this case

Pretty solid. No screen protector tho. Booo!

check the other nexus 5 thread. someone is selling his protectors

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

loadwire wrote: »
    also interested to know what cases and/or screen protectors people are using (if any). waiting on some ismooth screen protectors to be delivered, still trying to decide on a case. mixed reviews about the different spigen cases for the n5, seems like there were some problems with the first ones off the line.

Where did you order your ismooth screen protectors from?

I don't like the look of the spigen cases at all and there doesn't seem to be a lot of cases out there yet to choose from, I wonder when the Google cases will come available as they seem to be the only ones I like the look of...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

JKGT wrote: »
    Where did you order your ismooth screen protectors from?

amazon.com here, they're coming from US so will take 2-4 weeks from time of order.

• Advertisement

loadwire wrote: »
    amazon.com here, they're coming from US so will take 2-4 weeks from time of order.

Cheers was hoping you were getting them from somewhere closer they seem to be the best I've seen so far.

Is there any way (stock) to use an alternate wallpaper on the lockscreen? i cant seem to see it without using an app.

Well I purchased before it actually started shipping so no real reviews to speak of prior to that, mainly just speculation, but even so you'd expect it to at the very least match the quality & clarity of two models previous. In this day and age theres really no excuse for going down in camera quality when you upgrade to a newer phone, especially when I've stuck to the Nexus line since the Nexus One. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus so its not like I had the worlds greatest camera phone before this.

Yeah the HDR is off alright so I really don't understand it. I'm hoping I just have a faulty device, which I'm already sending back due to a few dead pixels, but if the camera on the replacement is just as bad I may end up getting rid of it altogether and going with something else. I get that as a Nexus it'll never have the greatest camera on the market but I'd be quite happy if it could at least match the Galaxy Nexus which is two years old now.
    ive both phones here ill try do a side by side tomorrow for you so you can tell if its just yours, im not a huge camera fan but id consider the N5 well above the GNex, but ill do some side by side tomorrow

projectgtr wrote: »
    Is there any way (stock) to use an alternate wallpaper on the lockscreen? i cant seem to see it without using an app.

Would that be part of the day dream settings?

Edit; hmm yea cant find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hold down on the home screen and pick wall papers when it pops out?

Hold down on the home screen and pick wall papers when it pops out?

Thanks but that will only sort the home screens I'm looking for an alternative lock screen wallpaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone using anything other than the stock ROM? OR even a cool launcher?

Having spent my time with my nexus 4 on stock the whole time, I'm looking for something different.

Aviate is good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

I have 3 invites left if you want one

1d 9hrs on battery, 37% left.

Moderate usage. As usual google location being on eats battery so I have it off.

Wifi on at home/work.

Waiting to get to a meteor store to get a 4G sim.

Gokei wrote: »
    Aviate is good.

Oh thanks, you're just after reminding me of this one.

I actually got an invite last month, but never really gave it a proper go.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Anyone know if the wireless charger from the nexus 4 works with the 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Anyone know if the wireless charger from the nexus 4 works with the 5?

It does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Mo14 wrote: »
    It does.

How much do the wireless chargers cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Gokei wrote: »
    Aviate is good.

Any chance of an invite ?

padair wrote: »
    How much do the wireless chargers cost

About 20 quid on Amazon

threein99 wrote: »
    Any chance of an invite ?

Yeah, pm your email.

That's all my invites gone.
    There's a thread for the aviate launcher, lads have invites if any one else is looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When I initially saw the camera specs, I thought imaging would be poor to mediocre. I am happy to say I am pleasantly surprised at being wrong I was. The images on the Nexus 5 are an order of magnitude better than those on the Galaxy Nexus. From what I have seen, I would say the images are probably slightly better than an Iphone 5s, and slightly worse than the HTC One.

For me, I needed a couple hours of practice getting used to the settings and from there I was taking razor sharp images every time afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

When I initially saw the camera specs, I thought imaging would be poor to mediocre. I am happy to say I am pleasantly surprised at being wrong I was. The images on the Nexus 5 are an order of magnitude better than those on the Galaxy Nexus. From what I have seen, I would say the images are probably slightly better than an Iphone 5s, and slightly worse than the HTC One.

For me, I needed a couple hours of practice getting used to the settings and from there I was taking razor sharp images every time afterwards.

What about at night time mate!?

Sounds like mine may just be dodgy so, I'll keep playing with it and see if anything improves but the sooner my replacement arrives the better.

So, can you view the launcher in landscape mode (like on the N7)?
    I've never been able to get this to work on stock ROMs, only CM or the likes!

Is there just some setting that I'm oblivious to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

No landscape mode on the stock Nexus 5 ROM. Or at least I can't find any setting to switch it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can't see it either!

You can probably tweak the build.prop file to allow it! I'll look into it later, after work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Seem to be having a problem with my Camera, wonder if anyone else is experiencing it.

The camera works fine normally. However, when I go to use the app 'Google Goggles' (used to scan barcodes) and the camera comes on it starts flickering and wont work.

When i quit the app and go to use the camera again the camera is just a black screen (but the camera buttons are still present). I have to restart the phone to get it working again.

Ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but still same problem. Could it be that the app is not configured to Kitkat yet?

Seem to be having a problem with my Camera, wonder if anyone else is experiencing it.

The camera works fine normally. However, when I go to use the app 'Google Goggles' (used to scan barcodes) and the camera comes on it starts flickering and wont work.

When i quit the app and go to use the camera again the camera is just a black screen (but the camera buttons are still present). I have to restart the phone to get it working again.

Ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but still same problem. Could it be that the app is not configured to Kitkat yet?

That what it sounds like anyway. the goog will be pushing updates to the apps over the next few weeks.

I cannot get the deliver reports to work for SMS in Hangouts. I have the option checked in settings but it doesn't do anything. Can anyone else confirm if they have the same bug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I cannot get the deliver reports to work for SMS in Hangouts. I have the option checked in settings but it doesn't do anything. Can anyone else confirm if they have the same bug?

Afaik when you send a msg a few little dots jump underneath the message until it's delivered. Then when it's delivered it changes to 1min ago, 4,mins ago etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Afaik when you send a msg a few little dots jump underneath the message until it's delivered. Then when it's delivered it changes to 1min ago, 4,mins ago etc

Nope, that's when the message has been sent. When it's received, a little tick shows up beside the message (if delivery reports are on).

But it doesn't say when it was delivered. When you select a message that is received, it gives you the date and time sent and received. Yet for messages you send, it only gives the date and time it was sent. It has to be a bug or an over sight surely?
    Would you not be more interested in when your own messages were received, rather than the other way.
    Nope, that's when the message has been sent. When it's received, a little tick shows up beside the message (if delivery reports are on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

But it doesn't say when it was delivered. When you select a message that is received, it gives you the date and time sent and received. Yet for messages you send, it only gives the date and time it was sent. It has to be a bug or an over sight surely?
    Would you not be more interested in when your own messages were received, rather than the other way.

That's true, it doesn't say when it was received. I personally don't really care when it was received, only that it was received.

Has anybody got 4g with meteor working on there N5?

I've got the new Sim the new 4g plan is active as far as I can see Mega Simo 4G LTE is selected in settings but no 4G????

• Advertisement

Perhaps no 4G coverage where you are? And it's a Rest Of World version N5 and not a US version ?

Advertisement