Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All the Aires" France

Options
  • 17-05-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Heard about the "All the Aires" book for France, giving a listing of all the motorhome pull in spots. Checked it out and you can only get it direct from the supplier, at around €25. Is it worth it? - do any of you have it? Is it easy enough to find Aires without it? Have plenty of books already so couldn't be bothered spending another 25 - if anyone has one they're not using anymore, I'll give you a couple of quid for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

kelbal wrote: »
    Heard about the "All the Aires" book for France, giving a listing of all the motorhome pull in spots. Checked it out and you can only get it direct from the supplier, at around €25. Is it worth it? - do any of you have it? Is it easy enough to find Aires without it? Have plenty of books already so couldn't be bothered spending another 25 - if anyone has one they're not using anymore, I'll give you a couple of quid for it.

You can buy the French version in any French newsagent or service station for €10. Comes with a map and an easy to use Index. 2012 version is lime green.
    Or buy (€3) or download the free app(s) detailed elsewhere on this forum recently.

Spend your €25 on 3 cases of reasonable quality French wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maurice G

Got the 2012 version from a friend of our's in France and going to try it out the week after next.
    It gives directions/address for Aire's with cost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

grand, thanks. I presume its not a french version of that exact publication - its a different book you're talking about. What's the name? Will see if I can get it online - rather than having to try and track it down when we get there.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have the book... Never used it or any if the aires to be honest!
    If you have a sat nav you can upload POIs to it ... Can do similar with a smart phone.

It's a good book alright and if I was travelling in my own or without de family in tow I'd have used it more.
    Marty.

Picture attached.

We found it great over the past few years - also has campsites & France Passion sites listed. Saved us a fortune in campsites over the years.
    Granted not all aires are suitable for kids but some are and there's lists of campsites also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Picture attached.

We found it great over the past few years - also has campsites & France Passion sites listed. Saved us a fortune in campsites over the years.
    Granted not all aires are suitable for kids but some are and there's lists of campsites also.

Yeah the France passion stuff looks great... Think there's a few other versions aswell .. Staying on farms etc which be great for kids.

There are definitely some real nice aires but mostly they are just a place to park get water/sleep etc. Then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I'm going in 3 weeks and was planning to pull in to motorway aires late and park.Move on early.No kids involved.Also using a panel van conversion so nothing flashy.Anyone see a problem with this.

defike wrote: »
    I'm going in 3 weeks and was planning to pull in to motorway aires late and park.Move on early.No kids involved.Also using a panel van conversion so nothing flashy.Anyone see a problem with this.

If it was just me (I presume you're male), in a PVC, on me way with the lads to a football tournament(??!!), I'd have no problem. Watch out for the occasional posse of "gens de voyage" though. And maybe the odd offer from a "lady of the night"!! With kids/family/herself and a "normal" MH, I'd try and find a small village aire de stationnment well off the motorway, particularly around large cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Ever seen the French movie "A Ma Soeur!" - you'll never pull over to a motorway rest stop again once you've seen the last 5 minutes of that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

defike wrote: »

France has a lot of safe 'aires' but none of them are anywhere near motorways.
    You can do what you plan but get off the main roads.
    Its entirely up to yourself but where did you get the idea that France is different to anywhere else.
    Would you pull up on the side of a main road in Uk or USA and expect to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ildere wrote: »
    France has a lot of safe 'aires' but none of them are anywhere near motorways.
    You can do what you plan but get off the main roads.
    Its entirely up to yourself but where did you get the idea that France is different to anywhere else.
    Would you pull up on the side of a main road in Uk or USA and expect to be safe.

The motor way Aires are much better than here you won't get hit by a trunk parking there but it's asking to be robbed from what I've been told. Best to find a village Aire close to motor way

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Ok slight change in plan .Going to find an aire on route.
    http://www.airecampingcar.com/
    This site lists a good few.

Advertisement