Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Eathrin wrote: »
    Any more expensive and they are far from the best provider, can do better on 3 and Tesco.

Which of 3's deals gives your free texts and free calls to all networks along with >3gb of data each month?

3 are more expensive and they're having huge 3G problems at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Yeah - I can't see a 3 or Tesco plan that compares to 48. Maybe the Tesco €35 p.m. SIM only plan offering 10,000 mins/texts to any network + 15GB data but that's obviously 75% more expensive than 48's VIP membership.

And 48 are not exactly getting "more expensive" with the recent changes to their offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

48 are by far and away the best value network on the market atm, no comparison at all. I've been with them since last summer now and I haven't had any problems regarding coverage, internet, membership, etc. The only thing that I dislike about the network is the fact that they're a bunch of legends.. They're "cool" responses are just annoying.
    In the last 2 years I've been with Meteor, 3 and 48. I've found 48 to be the best, distantly followed by 3 (all PAYG).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Which of 3's deals gives your free texts and free calls to all networks along with >3gb of data each month?

3 are more expensive and they're having huge 3G problems at the moment.

Depending on how many calls you make, 3 are cheaper with their €20 pm deal.
    Plus they give you 15GB internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Depending on how many calls you make, 3 are cheaper with their €20 pm deal.
    Plus they give you 15GB internet.

:confused:

If I make no calls 3 are cheaper.

48 give unlimited free mobile calls(all networks), free unlimited texts(all networks) and 3 GB of data, plus 20min landline calls..

3 charge for non-3 texts and calls. Yes, they have a higher data allowance but you'd be doing well to get through 3gb on a smartphone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

48 give unlimited free mobile calls(all networks), free unlimited texts(all networks) and 3 GB of data, plus 20min landline calls..

3 charge for non-3 texts and calls. Yes, they have a higher data allowance but you'd be doing well to get through 3gb on a smartphone.

3 don't charge for texts when you top up by €20. You only get charged for calls to non 3 numbers. Plus, you still have your €20 left over unlike 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Del007 wrote: »
    Do you have to prove that you're between 18 and 22?

Also how long does the port take?

Cheers

There appears to be an informal block on porting by the carriers around Xmas - leastways good luck porting over over xmas (I didn't have any(!))

Vodafone were a bunch of lying... well I'll stop there

needless to say my porting away from vodafone was a vodafone created nightmare (their own porting department were caught lying by vodafone's call center)...

48 were fine and threw in a free month to compensate for the snafu (which was not of their creation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Do 48 allow tethering? Currently with lyca but if they move me off my current bundle then I will be leaving. So just weighing up the best alternative.

3 only charge for weekday calls to non 3 numbers.
    You have €20 to do so with. However with 48 the €20 goes towards a membership fee and cannot be used as credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

3 don't charge for texts when you top up by €20. You only get charged for calls to non 3 numbers. Plus, you still have your €20 left over unlike 48.
    3 only charge for weekday calls to non 3 numbers.
    You have €20 to do so with. However with 48 the €20 goes towards a membership fee and cannot be used as credit.
    Credit for what though? You don't need it.. Free calls to everyone all the time, along with free texts, and that only costs €10.
    I was with 3 for over a year before 48, 48 are the better network by far. I always found my €20 had disappeared within a week or so, leaving me able to call very few people throughout the week, not a problem on 48 however. Don't know how people are still arguing this.
    pissed wrote: »
    Do 48 allow tethering? Currently with lyca but if they move me off my current bundle then I will be leaving. So just weighing up the best alternative.

No, tethering is not allowed. One of their conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

The €10 plan seems like a good deal if you don’t use the internet.

What happens if you don’t pay for a month. Can you still use the number for receiving calls ?

After a missed month can you go back to paying the €10 plan again?

48's Ts&Cs say no tethering but their own support people on their web forum say no problem once you don't breach the 3gb pm limit. Note that if you breach the fair usage limits they bar you for remainder of current monthly membership. 2nd breach and they bar you for good.

I think only if go 3 months without buying membership then you risk them dropping you from the network &the number being recycled. Check their Ts&CD. if you don't have a valid membership then you can't make ANY calls/texts but you can receive them.

If you want the €10 deal then get on it now add they are dropping it for new customers soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

TM wrote: »
    48's Ts&Cs say no tethering but their own support people on their web forum say no problem once you don't breach the 3gb pm limit. Note that if you breach the fair usage limits they bar you for remainder of current monthly membership. 2nd breach and they bar you for good.
    howdo you know how much you have used? is there a data thing on the site telling you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

can you tether with three, ie do they know if you do?

or is it like 48 and you're grand as long as you don't go over the download limit?

48 have a really basic meter indicating data usage on your online account but to keep detailed track you really need something like an app.eg 3g watchdog or the like android or some smartphone OS's have data measurement built in.

If I was to switch to 48 id there any way I could send webtexts??

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

If I was to switch to 48 id there any way I could send webtexts??
    No don't think so

No web texts but with practically unlimited texts you can use something like airdroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

No web texts but with practically unlimited texts you can use something like airdroid.
    Or Mobi Texter.

http://www.mobitexter.net

I'm using Mobi Texter to send group texts at the moment. It's excellent and you can type the text on your laptop.

• Advertisement

Yes - there are other similar apps but Airdroid connects to the phone via wifi while it looks like MobiTexter (and others) use the data connection so this is not suitable for those 48 users with standard (no data) rather than VIP membership or those with VIP who want to limit/minimise their data usage. Airdroid can also send texts to multiple recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Airdroid connects to the phone via wifi while it looks like MobiTexter (and others) use the data connection so this is not suitable for those 48 users with standard (no data) rather than VIP membership.
    Nope, I'm in that category and MobiTexter works fine once I'm in a wifi zone. And it allows group texts. But you do have to link it to a Google account, which I suppose means that everything you text is theirs, forever.

Mwahahahaha..... :eek:

€20 VIP membership now includes 50 landline mins (was 20).

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/price-plan-details

You can now get a €3 add on for 750 mb of data.
    I just switched to 3 but that is tempting for €13 Unlimited calls, texts and 750 mb data.

I have a very comfortable 15GB on 3 but I'd be saving €7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

can anyone use this or do you have to be between 18-22??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

You can now get a €3 add on for 750 mb of data.
    I just switched to 3 but that is tempting for €13 Unlimited calls, texts and 750 mb data.

I have a very comfortable 15GB on 3 but I'd be saving €7

Hi would the 3 phone sim work in a usb dongle to give the 15gb internet or is it only ment for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iliketomoveit

If your gonna move, do it now, as 48 were saying that they are gonna change the offers in a few months, so new customers will have totake a different deal, but old customers will still get €10 free calls + texts.

This is the e-mail I got earlier this month:

Hi Sean,

When we launched 48 this time last year, the idea was to do things differently and to mix things up. A year later and we're about to do it again. We've some interesting new things on the way.

But we're going to have to stop some stuff too to make this happen. What stuff? Well our '€10 all calls and all texts deal' will soon only be available to existing customers (you) and not new customers.

Does this affect you? Nope. As an existing customer you'll still get all calls and texts for €10. And while we have some interesting, possibly market-changing plans on the way for everybody, new customers will not be getting our original €10 plan.

These changes will kick off in weeks not months, so if you’ve friends 18-22 thinking about making the move, let them know, we won’t be advertising this. This isn’t a ‘Sale Must End’ gimmick to get people to join and we definitely aren’t going anywhere.

We just wanted to keep you in the loop and let you know that some new deals are in the works. We’ll post on our FB page closer to the launch date.

48 Crew,

Go Conquer

www.48months.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iliketomoveit

I'm curious as to what they'll be

Advertisement