Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Contract Suggestions

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I need help. I have a 2 year contract with meteor which began only this July. It's leaving me with 17 months remaining on the contract @ €60 p/m. I've lost my job and I'm leaving the country this week and NEED to get out of this contract. Have any of you suggestions/ideas to help me?

I have contacted and explained the situation to them. Their reply was to pay the remaining balance which is; multiplying the remaining months by the agreed monthly charge of €60 which is equal to €1020.

I suggested that a family member (who is on meteor PAYG) take over the contract at a lower rate per month but again was met with an unsatisfactory answer. UNLESS, the family member was to keep MY number, the number on which the contract is with, AND the bill rate per month couldn't be altered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Keeping your number might be a hassle but let your family member take over your contract. Let them pay what they can afford and you pay the difference. Work out cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I need help. I have a 2 year contract with meteor which began only this July. It's leaving me with 17 months remaining on the contract @ €60 p/m. I've lost my job and I'm leaving the country this week and NEED to get out of this contract. Have any of you suggestions/ideas to help me?

I have contacted and explained the situation to them. Their reply was to pay the remaining balance which is; multiplying the remaining months by the agreed monthly charge of €60 which is equal to €1020.

I suggested that a family member (who is on meteor PAYG) take over the contract at a lower rate per month but again was met with an unsatisfactory answer. UNLESS, the family member was to keep MY number, the number on which the contract is with, AND the bill rate per month couldn't be altered.

You are in a contract and ideally you need to honor the contract that you signed. However, if you cannot afford the contact, that you signed, then you can opt to not pay it but Meteor/Eircom have a right to use debt collection tactics and/or court action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Sell the phone, it's a huge contract so I would hope it's a 4s?
    That should cover most of the bill, leaving you with a few months breathing room

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Attracta Mann

It's an iPhone 4.

I can't understand why it's so hard to change the number and a few details?
    She's on Meteor anyway and happy to take on contract.

I was hoping to keep the phone as it will be handy while traveling. I'm not too keen on lugging my laptop around.

I'm even finding asking them to lower my tariff (as it's been over 6 months since signing contract) very difficult. A lower rate would do me tbh. I do understand that I signed a contract but it's something I can't afford nor help at the moment.

Also, what's the worst that can happen if I cancel the DD? I'll deal with the bad credit.

What are the chances of being taken to court?
    Will their case stand, even if I was seen to offer them money, in court?
    Will scary men call to my Mamas door when I'm in Oz?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

First of all it is a contract and for a high end phone. Contracts come with obligations, way it is.

Try asking if they can reassign the contract to someone else at a lower monthly rate and do so in the eircom forum here.

I know it is a contract and I am trying me best to do what's right but simply can't afford it.

I did tell them that I did want to pay a termination fee, and would gladly do so, if they could reduce the tariff therefore lowering my termination fee.

e.g €60 x 17 months = €1,020
    €45 x 17 months = € 765
    €40 x 17 months = €680 *

* I'm willing to pay this fee to terminate contract but finding it difficult to lower tariff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

did you read the contract before you signed?
    im out of this thread, get a solicitor to try find a loophole for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

Its meteor policy that they don't change a name on a account except in cases where a death has occurred.

if someone is willing to take over your plan then they can but they will need to use your sim/number, also if you take this route make sure to call meteor CC and say the person your giving your number too has access to your account, otherwise they can't query any issues that may occur in the future.

Meteor rarely reduce the price of a plan and your case I don't think they will, the only time i've seen them do it is if the costumer has been on bill pay since they started in 2001 with no issues what so ever or in cases where a person seems to have gotten a bit of a run-round from meteor.

If a bill goes unpaid they will send it to a debt collection agency, generally figure below €100 will only incur monthly letters until its paid and bad credit score,
    the more you owe the more likely you'll get a court summons, with a figure of around €1000 you'll probably start getting letters for a few months before the courts get involved

I'm back in the motherland now. Shorter trip than I had anticipated but such is life!

I actually got Meteor to reduce the tariff to EUR45 a month instead of EUR60 but that in itself took work.

I ended up going to Oz and continued to pay bills via direct debit till there was money in my Irish acc. I think I paid about 3 months in total. Then my money ran out of my irish acc as I was using my Aussie one and it basically was a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'. So I had about 3 -4 bills outstanding and they added the cancellation fee (remaining months left on contract by tariff) and I got a bill in July-Aug for roughly EUR700. (outstanding payments and cancellation fee)

As it turns out, I was the fool. Overall, after paying the first 3 months of my time away I was only out of the country for another 4 bills and at 45 a month wouldn't have broke the bank.

Now I'm left with an iPhone that basically can only be used as a iTouch as they locked the sim and they phone is locked to the carrier and I've lost my number, as well as the EUR700 bill!

DISASTER!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try a prepaid Meteor sim, see if that will work. Otherwise you have a nice shiny Apple iBrick and only Meteor (the carrier) can issue an unbrick instruction to Apple....even then I am unsure.

Advertisement