Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk Jazzmasters!

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭

Who here has one?

I'm currently saving up to get one, not sure which model, at the moment the new J.Mascis squire is really enticing me, it'll be either that or one of the blacktop series. The new Marauder in the modern player series looks cool, but the body shape's a bit funky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have a crafted in Japan one. I love it. I bought and sold many guitars, and that's my sound. I love it. It gives me my jangle, but on the look out for a sonically different guitar now with humbuckers. I won't sell the Jazzmaster though, that's a keeper.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Do you want a real Jazzer or just the body shape? There's a big difference between, say, the Blacktop and the 62RI!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Do you want a real Jazzer or just the body shape? There's a big difference between, say, the Blacktop and the 62RI!

Definitely looking for that Jazzmaster neck pickup as a minimum, wish I could afford a 62RI! I think the blacktop series are quite good, the neck p90 sounds amazing, and the bridge humbucker makes it very versatile for the price. The trem system gets horrible reviews with the stock saddles though.

There's also a squier jazzmaster......

seachto7 wrote: »
    There's also a squier jazzmaster......

Yep the J.Mascis one, it's been getting amazing reviews online, it's supposed to be as good of not better than the classic players. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, they've only been released.

• Advertisement

I don't want to start a new thread, maybe resurrecting this one would be ok???

I have a CIJ Jazzmaster with the old style tuners on it, which are doing my head in!!! Such a hassle to put on a new string quickly.

Are there any recommendations here for newer style tuners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I have a CIJ Jazzmaster with the old style tuners on it, which are doing my head in!!! Such a hassle to put on a new string quickly.

I've got a CIJ JM with the slotted tuners, and a Telecaster with more usual tuners with just a hole through the middle, I prefer putting strings on the JM, much tidier and doesn't take any more time...

Just cut the end off the string two tuners behind the one you're putting the string into (if you're putting in a new E string, cut the end of the string off at the D tuner, etc.). Stick the string down into the hole in the middle of the tuner, bend it 90 degrees so it's coming out of the slot sideways, and turn on as normal.

You don't have to worry about the loose string ends tearing up the inside of your gig bag that way, or wrecking any clothes that get caught in them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

My G&Ls have slotted tuners and I prefer them to regular ones. I find them a lot easier to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Ive developed serious GAS for a Jazzmaster lately, but they're dear (if your skint like me) even 2nd hand now.

That Squier J Mascis is getting good reviews though in print and on youtube, so maybe I'll try one out. Huge fan of Dinosaur Jr as well, so that helps.
    Am I correct in saying you need to replace the JM bridge with a tune o matic straight away if you want it to stay in tune with bends etc? Do some models come with this done already? It makes no sense to me to have to mod an already expensive guitar.

Also, anyone know of JM clones/knockoffs that a) won't break the bank, and b) aren't a heap of 5hite?

Also visit www.offsetguitars.com for all things Jag/Jazz Mustang etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

• Advertisement

Gah, I prefer the normal tuners where you slip the string through, rather than the slotted ones........

I bought the J Mascis squier about a month ago now. Basically I walked in looking to buy either one of the Blacktop series, or buy a used American one.

I played the blacktop and the US ones first and they played great, but I picked up the J Mascis just for the laugh. I found the neck was a lot more comfortable that the others, it had a slightly wider neck and the pickups were a little bit hotter.

Granted it doesn't bear the Fender logo and won't have a good resale value, but I'm not selling this thing.

Just my 2c.

zafo wrote: »

you seriously shouldn't have sent me that link . . . but thanks! :)

Have you played one, and if so are they any good?

Mixed reports on Xaviere guitars. They're fairly standard low-end Chinese imports but with more adventurous and exotic features than most. Their customer service has also been criticised upon occasion.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Mixed reports on Xaviere guitars. They're fairly standard low-end Chinese imports but with more adventurous and exotic features than most. Their customer service has also been criticised upon occasion.

Might just either get the J Mascis or save for a MIJ one so.

The new Squier Vintage Modified Offsets look amazing too. I'd love to try one of the Jags.

Can you think of any other budget offsets?
    I remember a cousin of mine had a really retro looking one years ago, possibly Japanese, with enough switching options to confuse a fighter pilot and a JM - esque trem. Maybe he still has it . . .

Edit: Wasn't an Aria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Was it something like a Hopf Telstar?

2050270mk.jpg

This is a bit long but Nels Cline of Wilco gives a commentary on his rig. He talks about some of his Jazzmasters, custom Jazzmaster lookalikes, and some offset random axes he had built for him and picked up along the way.

rcaz wrote: »
    Was it something like a Hopf Telstar?

2050270mk.jpg

Unfortunately no, would love to get that though. It's unusual in that the strap button is located on the back of the neck, as opposed to the upper horn, that I do remember. Doesnt have as many switches as that one.

• Advertisement

Nels Cline vid has a green offset guitar that looks a lot like that Hopf.

Buzz Stop worth getting?

Ok I hope ye dont mind me resurrecting this thread. I've since had the chance to try the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

http://www.fender.com/products/vintage-modified-jazzmaster

As you can see it has the full switching system and vibrato system unlike the previous Squier JM that was just a JM shaped body with 2 x P90's.

Now I gotta say the quality is very good and the tonal varieties you can get out of it are excellent. Now just before I go on, I havent played a US or Mex JM in a while, but to me the Squier is on a par with them at least in terms of feel, playability and build quality. If I'd the money which I don't, I'd probably get it, even though the resale value wouldn't be great due to brand snobbery.

Next stop is to try out the J Mascis JM and see how it stacks up.

Didn't want to start a new thread, as this seems to be choc full of Jazzmaster info anyhow, so could be good to run with it?

Basically I'm looking to replace the tuners on my CIJ Jazzmaster. I don't like the vintage tuners at all, and would like to upgrade to modern tuners. I couldn't care less what it looks like.

Do I have to be careful buying tuners for a Jazzmaster as opposed to a tele or strat or are they all "standard" enough.

Any recommendations?

No point starting a new thread.
    A Jazzmaster with humbuckers! Opinions.
    I love the feel of my jazzmaster, but what options for a humbucking guitar?
    One option could be a blacktop jaguar, maybe stick some seymour duncans in it to mod it.

Blacktop's probably your best bet. Best of both worlds, the prized neck pickup from a jazzmaster and a humbucker in the bridge.

Or you could just buy something like a Novak humbucker in a jazzmaster pickup enclosure.

I was talking about the blacktop jaguar, which errr, isn't a Jazzmaster at all. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Not really an answer to your question Seachto, but the Wide Range humbuckers for Jazzmaster that this guy offers look very interesting.

http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/vintage-custom-jazzmaster-replacement-pickups.html#.UnAYlHC-zE0

I have since bought the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and I f***ing love it. Gigged it several times and it's a damn solid guitar.

I was talking about the blacktop jaguar, which errr, isn't a Jazzmaster at all. :/

Oh right, I have one of those so I can help with that too I suppose :P

It won't feel anything like your jazzmaster though. It's a short scale guitar as opposed to the longer scale of a jazzmaster which means it'll feel completely different, and the neck profile is miles different to my J Mascis jazzmaster and the MIJ jazz I was playing a while ago.

The standard pickups and pots etc are muck. But set it up with some nice beefy strings and decent pickups, you've got yourself an awesome guitar.

• Advertisement

Is it anything like the Jag with humbucker that was out a few years ago, with all the knobs and dials in it.

I would welcome a shorter scale guitar! I like the look of the blacktops, and yeah, would mod it to bejaysus...

Advertisement