Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing laptop hdd

• 05-06-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Dropped my laptop a few days back and the hdd fell out at the same time . Went to a repair store, they said I need a new hard drive. Got qouted €165 for a new one. Thought it was alot so would I be able to do it myself?
    Its a toshiba sat pro l300 w/ ide 2.5" 120gb drive. I have no windows vista disk though so how would I be able to re-install vista onto the new hdd. Im tech savvy but just not very hands on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338761 - 165 is a bit much

If you have the product key on a sticker on your laptop, you should have no problem - However, are you sure you dont' have a restore disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes mate I'm sure no recovery disk, its the OH laptop and she is careless with this stuff to say the least (i didnt drop it she did!!).
    Ya thats the hd drive I picked out. What do I do if I dont have a recovery disk so?

Have you got a valid key on your laptop - this is the main concern. You should be able get a CD anywhere - however these are OEM licenses - I amnt quite sure if a retail version of a XP CD will work with a OEM license, should do though - someone might correct me.

I have the sticker on the back with a valid key. Where would I be able to get a vista cd so? Sorry for all the q's

Have you got any techie friends that could loan you a copy - you have the license and thats the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah, that's quite expensive, around the 100-110euro mark for labour (assuming they buy their drives at trade prices). Even if they were buying the drives at a high price, you'd still be paying 80ish euro in labour. OS install takes 1-1:30 hr, mostly unattended. You should be able to get this done for 60 odd euro or less (labour).

Shop around, I'm sure you'll get it cheaper, or better yet, ask how much if you supply the drive.

As webmonkey said, just get your hands on an install disk. Be it OEM or retail, it shouldn't be a problem (have used retail and activated with OEM product keys). Then once you have the OS installed, it's just a case of downloading required drives from the manufacture :)

So I gotta find a cd of an OEM version of vista and then enter the key, correct? Now where to find one of them around cork...

Can be retail version too - hmm I don't have one but I might be able get hands on one if you fail to find anything.

Thanks so much webmonkey and BoB_BoT you might be after saving me a bit. Final Q, do I have to have the disc for the exact version of vista originally on the laptop i.e Vista Basic 64-bit or will any vista disc work with the key I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

rob316 wrote: »
    So I gotta find a cd of an OEM version of vista and then enter the key, correct? Now where to find one of them around cork...

Apologies, not sure if this allowed, MODS, slap my bottom gently.

This eBay seller sells a lot of Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD's with a buy it now price. The DVD is official and contains every version of Vista, which can be used for a clean OEM install.

eBay Seller: http://myworld.ebay.ie/matrixthree/

Example auction: http://cgi.ebay.ie/WINDOWS-VISTA-HOME-PREMIUM-DVD-EUROPEAN-ENGLISH_W0QQitemZ350143569705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Software_Software_SR?hash=item350143569705&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I was due to get one myself, but have decided basically, to bypass the 'Vista experience' totally and wait for Windows 7, due in October sometime.

• Advertisement

Humm if I remember correctly, you can use either key for 32 or 64 bit versions of vista. Don't quote me on it though, not 100%. About 99.5 ;)

However, you will need the correct version, i.e. vista home, vista premium, vista ultimate, if it's an OEM disk. I think the retail comes with the option to pick and choose. Sorry can't full remember, mostly use OEMs.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Apologies, not sure if this allowed, MODS, slap my bottom gently.

This eBay seller sells a lot of Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD's with a buy it now price. The DVD is official and contains every version of Vista, which can be used for a clean OEM install.

eBay Seller: http://myworld.ebay.ie/matrixthree/

Example auction: http://cgi.ebay.ie/WINDOWS-VISTA-HOME-PREMIUM-DVD-EUROPEAN-ENGLISH_W0QQitemZ350143569705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Software_Software_SR?hash=item350143569705&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I was due to get one myself, but have decided basically, to bypass the 'Vista experience' totally and wait for Windows 7, due in October sometime.

you're essentially paying 21 pound for an install disk, whereas a friend might "loan" the disk for the cost of a blank. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    you're essentially paying 21 pound for an install disk, whereas a friend might "loan" the disk for the cost of a blank. :)

The Anytime Upgrade Disk is an odd beast, it will tailor the install depending on the serial offered, as far as I'm aware, OEM install too, as opposed to Retail, the serials need to match the kind of disk, Vista is finnicky about that, an OEM serial will not install using a Retail disk.

As for its 'worth', well, there's a market for everything, you have a choice to pay or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, the legitimate licence key is the important thing. I don't think even MS care about copies of the install disc (since it's (from their perspective) useless without the legitimate licence key).

Try to get a copy off a friend, or maybe give the laptop manufacturer a ring.

165 is a total rip for installing the new hard drive. It's very easy to do with laptops. I would go as far as to say it's basically impossible to screw up if you're gentle. Did that 165 include installing vista as well though?

edit: Since this spans a few topics - laptops and windows - I'll leave it in here (the more general forum)

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, the legitimate licence key is the important thing. I don't think even MS care about copies of the install disc (since it's (from their perspective) useless without the legitimate licence key).

Try to get a copy off a friend, or maybe give the laptop manufacturer a ring.

165 is a total rip for installing the new hard drive. It's very easy to do with laptops. I would go as far as to say it's basically impossible to screw up if you're gentle. Did that 165 include installing vista as well though?

edit: Since this spans a few topics - laptops and windows - I'll leave it in here (the more general forum)

Ya that included installing vista onto it. Still no luck with getting a disk, think ill get this http://cgi.ebay.ie/WINDOWS-VISTA-HOM...3A1|240%3A1318 like BobBot said. I'd still be saving €70 by doing it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Pshemko

If U got OEM Vista key then U can install any Vista 32 or 64 bits. U need only any vista OEM instalation DVD and that is it.

I U want I can instal the system and replace the disc for U for €50 if U get a new drive.

Advertisement