Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

webcam cctv

• 04-06-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

How would i use a webcam to cctv my front door and transmit the pic to a monitor. Webcams are cheap, how much would a suitable monitor be? I only need to see who is there quality or technocolor not important.

I need to be able to see from upstairs and downstairs, could i put monitor over door inside?

Thanks. Sorry if this is wrong place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Can you use your TV?

A cousin of mine, an alarm installer, set his cam up so that it interrupted the TV pic for a couple of seconds when the doorbell rang to see who was there. No idea how he did it but it is possible to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Hagar wrote: »
    Can you use your TV?

A cousin of mine, an alarm installer, set his cam up so that it interrupted the TV pic for a couple of seconds when the doorbell rang to see who was there. No idea how he did it but it is possible to do.
    Thanks for reply.;) Cannot use tv as want to be able to check from upstairs as well and tv is downstairs:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

maplins had few camera systems last time i was in there. webcam would need to be hooked into pc which would be connected to monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Hagar wrote: »
    Can you use your TV?

That sound like a neat security idea if it were packaged and easy to install.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

maplins had few camera systems last time i was in there. webcam would need to be hooked into pc which would be connected to monitor.
    I saw webcams at tesco now for 10/14/25 euro. Could i plug that to pc and put camera part over door? Is that a stupid question:o?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Are you talking about outside over the door or inside?
    Are you in an apt or house?

What you're looking for by the sounds of it, will require a bit more than just a webcam and pc. You'd need to have the webcam connected to the pc (note: usb cables have a usable range of 3-5ft).

If you then wanted access to the signal on more than one machine, you'd have to setup the webcam so that the signal is retransmitted over your network, so another computer can access it. This would require one machine to be constantly on, so the other can see it.

I don't like this idea, as you'd need two separate monitors, or would have to use splitters, boosters etc... It can get messy very quickly.

Alternatively, you could use an IP webcam or IP cctv camera, this will allow you to link the camera into your network and access it from any pc you choose or more than 1.

Another solution, is to use an older style cctv camera, and just link it directly into the tv, or use a splitter and run it into two tvs (wiring is messy).
    However, I've never done this directly, in theory it should work. These cameras are designed for dvr systems.

Do remember, that the IP webcams and the older style I mentioned, both require a power source, so will need to be wired safely if outdoors or even indoors. (if your computers have TV cards, they can be used with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Would the PC be needed, how about an Eee 701, surely the 800x640 screen would be enough, uses a small SSD and generally uses low power, you could use a KVM to pipe the signal to a larger monitor if needed.

Advertisement