Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google earth update for Ireland?

• 04-06-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering if there is going to be any more recent updates for google earth? Limerick city has an image over 3 years old and its changed a lot since then..

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

There seem to be a lot of of those Google Earth guys going around in vans at the moment in various parts of the country. What with their somewhat 'lurking' approach and camera equipment, I think they have some elements of the older generation a wee bit on edge!

I've noticed a few around the Mid West area, which takes in Limerick, so maybe soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

That's Google street view ^ not Google Earth...

Google Earth just uses satellite pictures from NASA and stuff... it's not up to Google to take the satellite pictures, they just use ones that have already been taken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mark200 wrote: »
    That's Google street view ^ not Google Earth...

Google Earth just uses satellite pictures from NASA and stuff... it's not up to Google to take the satellite pictures, they just use ones that have already been taken.
    On this topic does anyone know when Google plan on adding images for ireland on street view? Be interesting to see them! :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There have been updates 'recently', Greystones is no longer a vomit like blur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

yoyo wrote: »
    On this topic does anyone know when Google plan on adding images for ireland on street view? Be interesting to see them! :)

Nick

I'd say about 3 or 4 months... Google started taking them around March 18th. It took about 6 or 7 months for the British ones to go up from when Google started taking the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Should be online in October/November.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mark200 wrote: »

Well it's satellite imagerie up to a point and then then use aerial photography. So either google need to start using more recent aerial photographs or who ever takes them needs to start taking newer ones.

If you want better quality satelite imagery for dublin and possibly most of ireland Live Maps is much superior

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you want better quality satelite imagery for dublin and possibly most of ireland Live Maps is much superior

Nick

I wouldn't have had much sympathy in the past for people complaining about privacy issues, but multiple angles, combined with the crystal clear photos for most of Dublin's suburbs you have on Live Maps is a tad creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm kind of nervous now , I passed one of the van's when i was at home in Drogheda and didnt have my sunday best on or my hair brushed :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Moved from AH

put it back, we dont want it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Nick

for the irish countryside this is very good:

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user

Advertisement