Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search Engines

Options
  • 30-05-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Some new search engines have been popping up or are about to be released.

First is Wolfram | Alpha which is a search engine that tells you stuff about things and can do math computations and help compare two objects such as nutritional value between two items of food or to compare stocks.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

The other is Ms new search engine called bing which says it will be a decision engine and not a classic search engine and will try to help people decide between products etc...

They have a video up at the moment on:
    http://www.decisionengine.com/Default.html

So what do people think of these new search engines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

Wolfram alpha is really more of a REsearch engine than a search engine, its not like google/yahoo/win live in a traditional sense

its really really great, athough its still in public beta as far as i know so it doesnt work 100% just yet

as for bing, as far as i can see, its just win live jazzed up with nicer backgrounds and far more intelligent suggestions, but thats what i get from the video, actually trying it might be a whole other story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Oh yeah I know and I think there is definitely a market for it.

I think Bing has potential if it can offer up proper comparisons of products and find reviews easily.

Google is starting to suck at finding reviews as the review keyword finds a dozen pages selling the product with no reviews yet added which kind of sucks.

ya i have to agree there google is lagging, even typing the word review along with whatever your searching for only turns up crap

all the same, whatever bing considers good review sites may not be your idea of a good review site, gotta wait and see i guess, looks promising tho

and ya wolframalpha rocks:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thebman wrote: »
    Google is starting to suck at finding reviews as the review keyword finds a dozen pages selling the product with no reviews yet added which kind of sucks.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who has noticed this. It really is a pain in the balls.

What the hell persuaded microsoft to pick bing. Reminds me of Chandler too much. They've got butt loads of cash and they can't come up with a better name.

i reckon because its a "catchy" word, like how people say "google it"

microsoft are trying to have people say "bing it" :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah that is the first thing I thought about the name and I said to my housemate and he had the same reaction.

What are you going to do? Ms just suck at marketing and their brand image sucks. Bet you won't see Ms anywhere on this product as I think they are starting to realise everyone associates them with boring and lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

just had a look at the promo video for Bing, I have to say, it could be good. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'll put it this way, I love google as a company, but like all companies unless there's a bit of competition it will begin to stagnate. And i'm talking about competition that will steal customers away, not the "googles down what else can I try" type of competition. Also, I wonder if Bing has an Irish hand in it. I've seen a few different Microsoft promos for different things and you see a mention of Ireland thrown into them. Not really that relevant, just interesting.

Have used wolframalpha for a few bits and pieces now. Fantastic engine for research and finding direct answers, saves trawling websites and wikis :D

Yeah I noticed Dublin, Ireland in the video :D

At least the video might have been made in Dublin if none of the work was done here lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Bing is out now as a preview (but make sure you change to the United States (English) version).

All my results have been relevant so far, and it's my default search engine for awhile now

i like them both.. only realised the power of wolframalpha when i watched the video.
    wonder when everyone decided orange was the best colour to have on a search engine?

picture5pai.png
    bing

picture6zwa.png
    wolframalpha

• Advertisement
Advertisement