Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Euro 2008 Sweepstake

• 29-05-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Got this idea from another forum.

16 people from boards.ie put in 10 euro. Each user gets randomly assigned a team to support. Winner takes all.

Or we could possibly have a certain amount for getting out of the group stages..certain amount for getting to semis. This might be a more fair way to do it as if you are assigned Poland, its unlikely they are going to win, but they may get out of the group stages.

Thoughts ?

NO PLACES LEFT BUT SIGN UP FOR THE RESERVES AS PEOPLE WILL MOST LIKELY DROP OUT

Taking part

Tusky PAID
    Mr.Alan PAID
    Charlie Mchugh PAID
    Des PAID
    ibh PAID
    jasonorr PAID
    jArgHA PAID
    Shamrok
    gucci
    Xavi
    rednik
    KevIRL ? PAID
    Dub13
    emc2 PAID
    Keano A Legend
    Mikeyt086

Reserves

Rebel
    S Carnage

DEADLINE FOR PAYMENTS SENT - TUESDAY 3RD JUNE - IF YOU HAVENT PAID BY THEN, YOUR PLACE GOES TO A RESERVE

Once you have paid, post in the thread and I will update the list. Once the payment has been confirmed by Des, I will put it in bold.

If you are interested but there is no more places I'll stick you on a reserve list. Entry will be based on actually paying the 10 euro by a certain deadline which is TBC. If people havent paid by that deadline, their place will up for grabs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Tusky wrote: »
    Got this idea from another forum.

16 people from boards.ie put in 10 euro. Each user gets randomly assigned a team to support. Winner takes all. Or we could possibly have a certain amount for getting out of the group stages..certain amount for getting to semis etc.

Thoughts ?

I usually try and incorporate a prize for team that concedes most goals as well..

Lucky for me i go Serbia for WC2006 and the Argies put 6 past them..

How will you organise the money??? Call to our houses?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

paypal id imagine

works fine on another board i use

we do pay entry for fantasy football and sweeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

IBH: trust with permanent bannings for people who dont pay up :)

I'm definately in for this if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ibh wrote: »
    I usually try and incorporate a prize for team that concedes most goals as well..

Lucky for me i go Serbia for WC2006 and the Argies put 6 past them..

How will you organise the money??? Call to our houses?:p

Yeah that would be a good idea. Could maybe do something like.

15 euro - team that scores most
    15 euro - team that concedes most
    30 euro - runners up
    100 euro - winner ?

I suppose bank transfer would be the easier way to do it. If everyone transfered the money along with a note with their username, I could put it in a separate savings account and then transfer the money to winners after competition is over.

Money would have to be paid in advance to make sure everyone that enters pays. If you are interested, say so and I'll add you to list in original post.

In regards to paypal, it wouldnt be ideal as there is quite a hefty charge for transfering money.

NB: This is not a cheap ploy to steal your moneyz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'd be up for this.

Would Paypal not be easier though Tusky?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I have the Boards Team account that people can lodge money to if you want to use that.

I've been taking hundreds of Euro off the lads for two years now, so I'm fairly trustworthy.

Well, the idea is out there anyway.

I suppose bank transfer would be the easier way to do it

waaaaaaay too much effort involved in that

Helix wrote: »
    waaaaaaay too much effort involved in that

Dont you have internet banking ? Takes about 10 seconds for me.

whats wrong with paypal?

Dont you have internet banking ? Takes about 10 seconds for me.

Some people are still stuck in the 18th Century when it comes to banking.

One lad on the team still gives me a bleedin' cheque ffs.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    I have the Boards Team account that people can lodge money to if you want to use that.

I've been taking hundreds of Euro off the lads for two years now, so I'm fairly trustworthy.

Well, the idea is out there anyway.

Sounds good Des. Id be happy to do it myself but if people would be happier transferring money to you, thats also fine by me. Will I add you to the list ?

Helix wrote: »
    whats wrong with paypal?

If everyone wants to use paypal, fair enough. We can take a vote on it I suppose. There is a charge everytime you transfer money though. Also, if I want to turn paypal money into cash, it costs something like 10 euro afaik.

Yeah, go on sure. Add me to the list. make sure I get Germany ;)

If this account is to be used, I'll post the details here.

how do we do the draw for the teams? :)

If everyone wants to use paypal, fair enough. We can take a vote on it I suppose. There is a charge everytime you transfer money though. Also, if I want to turn paypal money into cash, it costs something like 10 euro afaik.

Fair enough, maybe bank transfer is the way to go then. I have 365 online banking, but do transfers via 365 only apply to BOI to BOI accounts?

Mr Alan wrote: »

Youtube ftw!

Seeing as I'm the organizer, I get Spain...and France...and Holland!

haha. Im open to suggestions on this. There are programs/websites that randomize things like this.

Fair enough, maybe bank transfer is the way to go then. I have 365 online banking, but do transfers via 365 only apply to BOI to BOI accounts?

No, you can transfer to any Irish bank account without charge afaik. At least I can with AIB.

Also open to input in regards how the prize money should be split up.

if i get spain i'll never post in the liverpool thread again tusky ;)

if i get spain i'll never post in the liverpool thread again tusky ;)

But you are the overly positive counter balance to my excessive negativity. If you left, the thread would be so uneven it would explode!

• Advertisement

No, you can transfer to any Irish bank account without charge afaik. At least I can with AIB.

YEa i'm pretty sure this is true.

I'm up for joining in if there are still available places. Don't know how to make the draw however.? Is there a Boards beers or something where it can be filmed??!!!

YEa i'm pretty sure this is true.

I'm up for joining in if there are still available places. Don't know how to make the draw however.? Is there a Boards beers or something where it can be filmed??!!!

Filmed?!?! Sounds a bit excessive! Its only 10 euro each after all. I was thinking that we just put it into an online randomizer. I suppose if I did that, I would use a program to take a video of the screen as it was done ?

example : each team is given a number from 1-16. We then start at the top of our list and each person gets a random number and are assigned the team which have the same number.

http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm

Also open to input in regards how the prize money should be split up.

Yeah I think a few prizes as oppossed to winner takes all would be more appropriate.

1st place should take at least 55% of the pool. I wouldn't go too mad on runners up, and then divy up the rest into a number of top scorers etc. prizes.

Filmed?!?! Sounds a bit excessive! Its only 10 euro each after all. I was thinking that we just put it into an online randomizer. I suppose if I did that, I would use a program to take a video of the screen as it was done ?

Sorry but i was only joking. I seriously don't mind how it is drawn. I trust that there is some interweb way of doing it... Dont think we need to film it tbh..

Sorry but i was only joking. I seriously don't mind how it is drawn. I trust that there is some interweb way of doing it... Dont think we need to film it tbh..

If I end up doing the draw, I wouldnt mind doing it on webcam if people would feel more comfortable seeing the draw. Fully clothed of course!

Jesus, there is a serious lack of trust around here guys.

Any bank can transfer into my BoI Team account.

Perhaps two or three people could get together to make the draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

count me in if its easy enough to transfer via the t'internet banking. Im in the UK, but have the aib onlline. i will be offline til about tuesday afternoon as im going to a festival for the weekend. so dont let me hold up proceedings if ye wanna go ahead.......

Publish a list of those already in there Tusky, will you?

maybe Irishbird could make the draw? in a bikini?

no?

i'll jog along now

• Advertisement

maybe Irishbird could make the draw? in a bikini?

no?

i'll jog along now
    I'll ask her.

DesF wrote: »
    Publish a list of those already in there Tusky, will you?

SEVEN SPACES LEFT

Tusky
    Mr.Alan - Romania
    Charlie Mchugh
    Des
    ibh
    jasonorr
    jArgHA
    Shamrok

gucci

Mr.Alan - Romania

why i oughta!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

16 people from boards.ie put in 10 euro. Each user gets randomly assigned a team to support.

Count me in, want me to write code to do the draw?

gucci wrote: »
    count me in if its easy enough to transfer via the t'internet banking. Im in the UK, but have the aib onlline. i will be offline til about tuesday afternoon as im going to a festival for the weekend. so dont let me hold up proceedings if ye wanna go ahead.......

I'll stick you on the list but I'd like to get all the money sorted asap so if you arent around your place might have to go to someone else.

If you are happy to send the money today you could definitely be in though ?

Des could you PM me the details for that account please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Chalk me down for this too! I have no problem paying either by bank transfer or PayPal in advance of tournament kickoff.

jAH

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »

nerd_385x261.jpg

Just ribbing

Youve been added to the list. Dont think that will be necessary. Theres plenty of randomizers already out there. Cheers though.

How about a prize for 1st, 2nd and last? Would a top scorer draw be viable also?

EIGHT SPACES LEFT

Tusky
    Mr.Alan - Austria
    Charlie Mchugh
    Des
    ibh
    jasonorr
    jArgHA

gucci

Fixed it for you...

bullies :(

• Advertisement

More like this:

nerd.jpg

PM sent. :)

How about a prize for 1st, 2nd and last? Would a top scorer draw be viable also?

Yeah but there isn't really a last place in a tournament of this nature. Someone suggested most goals conceded which could work.

nerd.jpg

where did you get that pic of PHB?:confused:

Yeah but there isn't really a last place in a tournament of this nature. Someone suggested most goals conceded which could work.

True, but you could just sort it by least points, worst goal difference, least goals scored...I'm sure there would be a winner...just a suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'd like to enter, Tusky, but I'm with Ulster Bank and I don't think I can transfer to other accounts with their online service. :mad: Id do PayPal though?

Shamrok wrote: »
    I'd like to enter, Tusky, but I'm with Ulster Bank and I don't think I can transfer to other accounts with their online service. :mad: Id do PayPal though?

Ok. I'll put you on the list. I would be very surprised if you couldnt transfer to other banks. The whole point of online banking is that you can do anything that you can do in the bank, online.

If it turns out to be a problem and you dont want to do it in the bank, we will just give your place to someone on the reserve list. Hows that ?

Id rather not have some people paying with paypal and others with bank transfer. One or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I'll stick you on the list but I'd like to get all the money sorted asap so if you arent around your place might have to go to someone else.

If you are happy to send the money today you could definitely be in though ?

Des could you PM me the details for that account please ?

I will send you a PM .......

ONLY SEVEN PLACES LEFT

Tusky
    Mr.Alan
    Charlie Mchugh
    Des
    ibh
    jasonorr
    jArgHA
    Shamrok
    gucci
    gucci wrote: »
    I will send you a PM .......

Grand.

Once we get the 16 I'll pm you all the bank details so yea can transfer asap. The deadline will have to be Monday 2nd or Tuesday 3rd. If someone hasnt paid, it will give me enough time to get someone to take their place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement