Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Genetics?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Starting Human Genetics in Trinity this year :)

I was just wondering is anyone currently doing it or was previously?

What's it like?

What career do you think you would come out with in the end?

Did you enjoy it?

I'm a little apprehensive because you don't have a job title when you come out of it.. I know that's a bit silly but I'm just wondering about others previous experiences :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MrSnrub

I'm going into my final year this year and I enjoy it.

First year will be pretty similar to General Science for the most part. You'll take one Biology lecture module which will be some introductory stuff, genetics, developmental biology and microbiology. You'll be doing a three hour lab for this every week where you'll have to do some write ups, though if I remember correctly they're just answering some questions in a lab book and drawing some diagrams of cells.

You'll have two Chemistry modules. The first one will be two part introductory chemistry and three parts physical chemistry. The physical chemistry will be primarily introductory thermodynamics. You cam learn most of first semester chemistry from a website called Khan Academy which I thought was pretty helpful. Then second semester will a mixture of organic and inorganic chemistry. For both classes you'll have weekly tutorials with the lecturers in classes of about 70 or so people (the normal lectures have about 300-400 people in them) I don't know if you've done chemistry before, but if you haven't, the chemistry department run extra tutorial classes for people who haven't taken chemistry before, though you could attend them anyway for a refresher course or whatever, . You'll also have three hour labs for these modules every week, there is quite a bit more work required for these labs but they're still not particularly hard.

You'll have two Maths modules. Both of the modules are 50% Algebra (+ a little Probability) and 50% Calc. They're designed to be taught for the ground up, but people who took Ordinary Level maths often have trouble with it. You'll have two tutorials a week in each module where you'll be given a sheet of problem questions to do and they'll count towards either 20% or 25% of your final grade in each module so it's worth doing them well and making sure that you always turn up for tutorials.

The last thing you'll have in first year is a weekly tutorial in Human Genetics. These will just be your Human Genetics class so there will only be 15 or so people in it. They're pretty informal and the lecturers seem to change from year to year so I can't really say much about it but you'll likely be given essays or presentations to do for this class and you may also be graded on class participation. In my year I think we had 3 essays to do over the year ranging 1000 to 2500 words each and we were also given a group presentation to do. The year below me had different stuff to do, they had to make a video at one point for their tutorial which I think is on youtube somewhere if you want to look for it.

It's pretty common for people who do Genetics in Trinity to do postgraduate research of some sort either doing a Master's or a PhD, a PhD being the more common of the two that people want to go into directly after undergrad. Some people in my class want to go into genetic counseling which requires that you do a Master's abroad. Though it's a good base degree so you could really apply for whatever you want outside of science if you decide that you don't want to work in science. I wouldn't be too concerned about being prepared for specific type of job or anything.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Thank you so much for all that! Would you be able to tell me how many hours I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MrSnrub

Assuming nothing has changed since I was in first year. First semester, per week, you'll have something like:
    5-6 hours of Biology lectures, 3 hours of labs and possibly some optional tutorials though I don't know if they run Biology tutorials anymore, I think they might have stopped.
    5-6 hours of Chemistry lectures, 3 hours of labs and 1 hour of tutorials.
    6 hours of Maths and 2 hours of tutorials.
    2 hours of Human Genetics tutorials.
    So you'll have about 25-30 hours per week typically.

Second semester will be pretty similar except you wont have any Biology running so you'll have around 20 or less hours per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Thank you so much :)

Advertisement