Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lipstick or Bass pick-up?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Advice please.
    I'm in the process of building an 8-string Lap Steel Guitar.
    I need a pick-up wide enough to cover the total string width (about 70mm top string to bottom string).
    This is a budget build, 'proper' 8-string pick-ups are way too expensive....but
    I've read that a Lipstick pick-up, or even a bass pick-up would do the job.
    The Lipsticks I've googled are about 80mm wide, I'm just wondering if they would 'hear' from end to end, or at least over the 70mm needed?
    If not, would a regular bass guitar pick-up do the job...they seem to be plentiful and modestly priced?
    Thanks in advance...
    BTW, I'm also looking for three or four adjustable legs plus fittings.
    (No harm in askin')

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

A Jazz bass pickup should do. A "rails" type one might suit better. Not sure how good it would sound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks, Dord. I'll check 'em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you can get them used on ebay for pennies.

literally....

I got a bag of about 30, both the one piece and split types for about a tenner a few years back.

I used the splits for electric mandolins, so just because they're MADE for low freqs doesn't mean they can't handle the high stuff......

buy one, try it and flip it on if it's not the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks Martin, I'll check that out...

Advertisement