Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aisiaprod, the story behind the Suhr custom

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

C'mon you have too.....tell all and include a demo video for the drooling jealous amongst us!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Haha. I was lucky I did not have to select the options. I picked this up as a used guitar in Singapore. I did not select the options myself, the original buyer did. In 2007 Suhr was still a small outfit and guitars were custom ordered i.e fret size, wood, colour etc. I am a fan of maple necks since my choice of music leans to the mellow. I am no professional so my playing style would make ye all cringe so no video. Enough so say that I am a dire straits fan and play blues. This is my 6th guitar and this puppy just nails the Dire Straits sound, all that is required is a good delay and one is in Knopfler heaven. The guitar is an original build with a signed headstock. The difference for me with this guitar is that the neck is made from oven baked maple, and this process produces a neck that is hard as stone that produces a sustain that is unbelievable. It is definitely one of the most playable guitars I have ever owned. It feels like a top end PRS in its build quality, but unlike a PRS which I think feels just too clinical, this puppy has character, and just begs to be abused (which I am very good at doing). It came with a brand new G&C hard case and I paid 1200 euro for it and it sleeps beside my bed.

For those that don't know Singapore is guitar heaven, you can buy anything here. A couple of months ago I bought a Gibson 2008 ES-339 Custom Shop fitted with Lollar Imperial split coils which was made in the real Gibson custom shop, now they are produced in Mexico but still carry the Custom Shop Logo. Again second hand for the same 1200 Euro. So impressed am I with Lollar pickups that I also managed to pick up a set of Lollar blonds for a song which are going into my 1980 Strat Ultra. Cant wait to hear how they sound, currently have Kinman Avn woodstock pups in it which are nice, but no high end sparkle (I bought the wrong set). My guitar buying day are now over since with these two guitars I got every sound covered. I am one very happy idiot :-), but my wife is not so happy about it and is not averse to telling me that I am indeed an idiot. Probably because I informed her that when I die my Suhr guitar is to go with me. I got a pre booked date to Jam with Jimmy H and SRV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thanks for that!

have a goo for Suhr but probably never will get one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Asiaprod wrote: »
    A couple of months ago I bought a Gibson 2008 ES-339 Custom Shop fitted with Lollar Imperial split coils which was made in the real Gibson custom shop, now they are produced in Mexico but still carry the Custom Shop Logo.

Nice guitar but that is not true. They're made in Memphis and given an arbitrary 'custom shop' tag, like a lot of other (semi-)hollow Gibsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wont argue that point as that was what I was told when I bought it and yes it was made in Memphis. Maybe I missunderstood as I am not an expert. The most important thing is I love it, it has an amazing tone and the price was right. The MIM part was what I read when researching the Guitar on reputable websites/forums; there was a backlog of orders and Gibson started to produce them in Mexico. Sorry can find that piece at the moment. I'll check.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Gibson have never made guitars with the 'Gibson' name outside of the USA, nor will they ever, if you believe any of the interviews with its president.

They were perfectly happy to kill a proud (Greco-)American guitar brand in Epiphone by moving production to east Asia though, albeit in the 1970s and under different management!

• Advertisement
Advertisement