Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie's Brooker's 'A Touch Of Cloth' [Sky1]

• 19-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,033 ✭✭✭✭

Did a quick search for this, and couldn't find it referenced!

A scene from his new spoof "gritty cop series" with John Hanna and Suranne Jones.

Am a bit torn on it tbh.. the scene was all VERY silly (as you'd expect from a spoof) but not very funny!

Still, looking forward to anything new from Brooker.

3 episodes of it will air on Sky 1 next month AFAIK.

PS - 3 new episodes of Black Mirror in 2013!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SKY? Feck off Charlie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, do you think Brooker might have been watching his Naked Gun DVDs when writing that script? Half expected a cameo from Leslie Nielsen during the clip. Maybe this is Brookers attempt to scratch his comedy itch: in which case by the looks of things he should stick to what he's good at, the dark & snarky stuff rather than out-and-out farce.

Also: Sky? Ewww, anything made by them I've ever watched has always felt so ... drab & flat.

Didn't make much of Dead Set when it appeared, but great news about Black Mirror; as I said, that's where his talent truly lies, channelling his inner sarcastic cynic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Looks poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, do you think Brooker might have been watching his Naked Gun DVDs when writing that script? Half expected a cameo from Leslie Nielsen during the clip. Maybe this is Brookers attempt to scratch his comedy itch: in which case by the looks of things he should stick to what he's good at, the dark & snarky stuff rather than out-and-out farce.

Also: Sky? Ewww, anything made by them I've ever watched has always felt so ... drab & flat.

Didn't make much of Dead Set when it appeared, but great news about Black Mirror; as I said, that's where his talent truly lies, channelling his inner sarcastic cynic.

Source
    Brooker previously told Digital Spy that he considers A Touch of Cloth to be "a silly, old-school spoof of the dark British detective serials".
    "It is just Airplane-style daftness," he explained. "The inspiration there was just to entertain"
    Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing), Adrian Bower (Mount Pleasant), Navin Chowdhry (Teachers) and Daisy Beaumont (Star Stories) also star in A Touch of Cloth, which will debut on Sky in August with a 90-minute special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,033 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is starting next Sunday at 9pm on Sky1..

.. oh, and Karen Gillan (aka Amy Pond) will star in the next series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Basq wrote: »
    Still, looking forward to anything new from Brooker.

I just want his hair to return to the way it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I like Charlie Brooker but didn't like his Black Mirror offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Time Gentlemen Please was brilliant, course it was about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Watching it now. Not quite working for me I have to say. Trying to be too smart by being dumb....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think having a baby might have softened Charlie up in the head. I'm still a fan but I'm not trying this show out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Looks funny.

"I haven't laughed since my wife died"
    "Why did you laugh when your wife died?"

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I'm actually enjoying this. Yes it is very naked gun/airplane but if you like that kind of humor you'll enjoy this. It is making some good observations on UK/US crime dramas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Laughed at a good few moments in particular the autopsy scene. The boss is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Come again

Just started watching and while it's very VERY silly, it's also very tongue-in-cheek.

Nice sly nods / references to the tired cop drama (e.g the titles with blood spatters over the same image of Cloth glancing towards camera) as well as big brash obvious humour.

Definitely will watch more.

PS - and 'Teachers' fans have got to appreciate the reunion of Kurt and Brian.

0.jpg

Oh.. and Susan popped up too!

1gh9nxffvhe0hgne.jpg

The autopsy scene was great.. as was the Piers Morgan references! :D

Just noticed it's on sky anytime. Hopefully the second part will be as good as the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I've always liked Charlie Brooker. I love Airplane. I hated this.

I can't put my finger on it. I just didn't laugh. I didn't think Hannah and Jones were particularly good. There's playing it straight and then there is just woodenly delivering your jokes. I think it swayed too much to the latter.

Brooker should stick to what he's good at to be honest - Dark razor sharp satire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'll watch this tonight, the promos cracked me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tried way too hard to be funny IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I thought todays episode was not as funny as yesterday's.

ollie1 wrote: »
    I thought todays episode was not as funny as yesterday's.

Would definitely agree with that. It had it's moments but not as many laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I really enjoyed this - the many Teachers reunions was excellent to see.....anyone know when the next installment is due (it said 'next week' at the end of the second ep, but I can't find anything on Sky)????

cjmcork wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this - the many Teachers reunions was excellent to see.....anyone know when the next installment is due (it said 'next week' at the end of the second ep, but I can't find anything on Sky)????
    It actually said "next time".. and even those preview clips are tongue-in-cheek.

No new episode til next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

aw, thanks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I thought this was pretty funny. Yeah, it tries too hard in some places but it has its moments that I genuinely laughed at like
    the cat when they find the first dead guy in episode #1
    or some of the murder pattern speculations.

Here's a screen capture from a sign they quickly passed in the corridor of the hospital. They know me too well! Check the last item on the list. ;)

219052.png

Also a nod to Hattie Jacques who played matron in the Carry On films.

• Advertisement

Trailer for the 2nd season... no air-date confirmed as of yet!

"If it's unpleasant and un-legal, he's into it. Guns, drugs, gluing dogs to planks and throwing them out of helicopters!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Must rank as the WORST program I have ever watched. Tried way too hard to be Airplane like and failed MISERABLY. Had to turn it off after about 40 mins as couldn't stand it anymore. Found it thoroughly boring and completely unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

the whole nostalgia thingy seems to run across all mediums at the moment, esp tv. i hope it doenst last

Trailer for season 2.. and it's getting it's world premiere at The Kilkenny Cat Laughs - along with Moone Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Series 2 of A Touch of Cloth starts Sunday (Aug 25th) on Sky 1 at 9pm, or available now on the Sky Player (only two episodes in this run, same as last time).

http://sky1.sky.com/sky1hd-shows/a-touch-of-cloth

If, like me, you missed the first series (of two episodes) it is repeated on Sky2 tonight and tomorrow at 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"I'm her father. I came as soon as I heard. It's a condition I've got - sudden shock induces orgasm"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is funny enough. On now on Sky 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I loved how Tom Boss comes back, "He did a course, he hasn't killed anyone in ages."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anybody know where the intro music is from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"I'm not a cop! Ask me how much I enjoy doing crime....out of 10!"

I don't know why but that line had me in stitches. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Loved when Oldman got out of the bed at Goodgirl's place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

i'm convinced Brooker casts Konnie Huq in these things just to gloat

More Cloth on the way next year, also more Weekly Wipe (on the BBC) and Black Mirror (on Channel 4)

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001239/charlie_brookers_weekly_wipe_series_2/
    It is currently a busy time for Brooker. His spoof detective show A Touch Of Cloth is currently broadcasting, with a third case already filmed for broadcast in 2014; and another series of the writer's darkly satirical Channel 4 strand Black Mirror is in production.
    The British Comedy Guide understands that BBC Two has ordered another series of Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe.

The network has yet to officially announce the commission, but it is understood another run of the topical show will appear on the channel at a later date - potentially early next year, based on the early-2012 broadcast of Series 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,290 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I do find a lot of it is just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. It's like it's trying to be Police Squad but not really pulling it off as well.

I did like all the Grange Hill ones turning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not as funny as the first one, all the sex jokes, and there were a lot of them, got a bit samey. Still a good few laughs in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Just got around to watching series 2 of this yesterday. I thought it was funnier than season 1 and unlike most spoofs they completely avoided rehashing the same old jokes from the first one in the sequel. I loved this line during the bank job:

Todd Carty: Don't I know you from somewhere?
    Twitch: That's rich coming from you!

A Touch of Cloth III airs on Sky One next weekend, Sat 9th August 9pm and Sun 10th August 9pm. Karen Gillan joins the cast as Kerry Newblood

Advertisement