Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 1 Reliability

• 12-05-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Giant Defy 1 for almost a year now and have done close to 4k kms on it. 90% training in mostly dry conditions. 10% commuting, again mostly dry. I try to keep it clean and well lubricated with regular degreasing. I had it serviced by LBS a month ago and had the chain replaced.

My problem is the bike is just not reliable. I've had 3 breakdowns in the past 6 months which required bike shop repair. The rear derailleur snapped off while climbing Killiney Hill 6 months ago. Since then rear spokes haves broken on 2 occasions the most recent being this evening while cycling around Howth.

Last time I was getting the rear wheel repaired the guy in the LBS mentioned that many Giant owners were having similar problems with the stock wheels and Giant have on certain occasions replaced the wheels with new Mavic Aksiums.

I will be returning to the shop in the morning but was wondering if anyone has any similar experiences?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ask few news wheels under warranty, see if you're lucky enough to get aksiums, if spokes are popping the wheel was probably never properly built or tensioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ask few news wheels under warranty, see if you're lucky enough to get aksiums, if spokes are popping the wheel was probably never properly built or tensioned.

The last time spokes broke I had them repaired in the Bike Hub in Howth and am fairly confident they did a good job. I suspect the stock wheels are crap tbh which on a €1200 bike is a nuisance to say the least.

To be honest I'd expect the stock wheels on any bike around 1k to be pretty crap, generic wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Last week my friends 10 month old defy3 chain popped a link and ripped the derailed off bummer that was.
    Cycle supstore sell aksiums for 150 sometimes online be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Was front derailleur driver error?

New chain at 4k could well be needed.

You have crap wheels, see if you can get them replaced under warranty, although your a bit late asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I don't think the derailleur breakage was driver error. I wasn't changing gear or anything. Just struggling with the climb.

I merely mentioned the chain replacement to highlight the fact the the bike is properly maintained and looked after.

Yes the wheels are crap but maybe I was a bit naive in expecting decent wheels on a €1200 bike. Will see tomorrow what the shop says. Either way it's annoying. I spent this amount of cash to get a reliable bike and it hasn't really happened despite regular maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

We're does " goods not fit for purpose intended" consumer rights
    My wheels don't like going up hills

veetwin wrote: »
    Yes the wheels are crap but maybe I was a bit naive in expecting decent wheels on a €1200 bike. Will see tomorrow what the shop says. Either way it's annoying. I spent this amount of cash to get a reliable bike and it hasn't really happened despite regular maintenance.

The Defy 1 comes with the same wheelset as the Defy 5.
    They are bog standard generic cheap wheels.

Advertisement