Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help getting started...with everything!

Options
  • 12-05-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ok please bear with me here. I have a couple of things to ask you guys, and it might be better to create a new thread for each but one might suffice.

I have been asked to participate in a charity cycle with various distances available depending on fitness level. There are 50, 80, 120 and 180km options. The event is due to take place in late August. Now my cycling experience is nill. I haven't cycled a bike more than a mile in about 12 years, but I have found a few 'couch to X km' plans on the net that should be enough. I am aiming for the 120 distance but honestly would be happy to just do 50 or 80 on the day. Is this achievable? Would the 120 be

Next, what equipment will I need to get started? Bearing in mind I intend on commuting to and from work each day too (11km each way) and to keep up cycling after the event. My workplace participates in the bike to work scheme so I have a total spend of about 600 for a bike. I know I'll need to invest in a quality helmet too but what else will I need?

Finally can anyone recommend some bike shops in the city centre/south Dublin region? Again there are so many. I have no idea what prices are like so wouldn't know if I was being ripped off or not. What do I look for in a bike that would reflect value for money?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The 120km is do-able but tough IMO. You might find the difference between the 80km and the 120km is that you finish the 80km happy and you suffer the last 40km on the 120! You'll have a much better idea nearer the date.

This time last year I went from being taught to ride a bike to a very hilly 105km sportive in 4 months. You've a month less but you can already ride a bike.

Buy a road-bike - that's a bike with drop-bars like you see in cycling on TV, not a straight bar like on most town bikes. A road-bike has 2 positions with full access to brakes and gears. A straight-bar has only one. The road bike then has another 2 positions (at least) where you can't access gears or brakes but these are fine for brief periods on steep climbs or quiet safe roads. The extra hand positions means your arms, shoulders, neck and back all get to move around and don't spend the entire time in the one position. Which makes all the difference for how long it takes them to get sore.

Some people can do 100+km on a straight-bar hybrid, I can only do 30km before I start hurting.

Most people who don't know road-bikes think the drop-bars look a bit scary and they do feel strange at first but you get used to them really quickly.

I've had good experiences with Think Bike in Rathmines (http://thinkbike.ie) and they let you try out a bike for a couple of days to see if you like it before buying it. I've not seen that offer elsewhere. There's other good bike shops out there, I just happen to have personal experience of Think Bike and can recommend them.

As to how much they cost, how much do you want to spend!?

If you can use the biketowork scheme you can get up to 52% off depending on your tax bracket.

You'll get the best new-bike value for money buying online, there's some great deals. Plenty of threads on here listing them. I wanted to buy from a bricks-and-mortars store as I wasn't confident enough about bike maintenance at the time. I am now.

You'll get a really nice bike for a grand. Or a perfectly nice bike asking 625 - http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2014_Giant_Defy_5.aspx . If you're not using a biketowork voucher company (who take a middle-man-percentage) then you should be able to negotiate a similar percentage off the asking price IMO. 10% is a reasonable target. You can get that bike in most bike shops. You can get an ok bike for less again - there's a Carrera TDF model that a lot of people consider good value. Around 400 euro from Halfords during their regular sales. 2nd hand bikes offer better value again but I was too unsure about bicycles at the time to buy a 2nd hand bike. There's lots of very good brands - Giant, Trek, Specialized, Felt, Cannondale and plenty more. Post up what you're looking at here and you'll get opinions. Or ask in a store that you have a decent recommendation for.

You'll also want a good lock and be really careful where you lock a bike. Cable locks are all ****. I wouldn't use anything cheaper that the kryptonite evolution mini.

If you'll end up commuting to work then getting something that can take a pannier rack is really nice. I hadn't realised how handy it'd be but I now regularly bring home 30 euros worth of meat from the butchers near my work place, comfortably carried in the pannier. Backpacks are annoying ways to carry anything on a bike. Sweaty and uncomfortable.

Mudguards are great.
    Lights are necessary.

Get out as often as you can, within reason... A lot of people find that they really enjoy cycling and want to get out and the problem at the start may be stopping yourself from going out too much as your body (especially your arse/legs) will take a bit of time to get used to the bike.

Oh yeah, buy some bib shorts with a decent pad. They make a huge difference on long cycles.

How hilly is your planned cycle? If it's hilly then you'll want to start doing hilly cycles in about 2 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

padded support is a must for any kind of a spin be short medium or long, also gloves, this time of the year there seems to be more insects out and about so eyewear is a good idea too. Last summer I got a Bentini Monza from Cyclebike in St. Marys Abbey (beside the Boars Head along the Luas line) all told with a few add ons, road pedals, shoes, mud guards, a kryptonnite lock for just over €1000.00 on the BTW scheme. the lads Darren & Terry are very good, they will give you a fitting for it as well.
    I would agree with quozl that online you will get some great prices on new or even 2nd hand bikes, on the flip side going to your LBS you will build up a relationship from getting services, to buying the extras. I would also recommend that you look at nutrition while cycling, energy bars, drinks, gels and such.

Good Luck and happy trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Wow some great responses there guys thanks so much. I have a budget of about 600 for the bike (that will be including the bike to work contribution) and then whatever I have will go towards a helmet, eyewear and padded shorts. The rest will have to come after I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Wow some great responses there guys thanks so much. I have a budget of about 600 for the bike (that will be including the bike to work contribution) and then whatever I have will go towards a helmet, eyewear and padded shorts. The rest will have to come after I think!

I just picked up the Giant Defy 5 from the Giant shop on the Longmile Road for 600 with a helmet thrown in for free. Bike is very good, has a life time warranty on the frame and 10 years on the front forks. It is very light wight even though its not carbon fiber

The lads in there are great and don't forget o ask what else they will thrown in the deal and you will get discounts.
    The sunglasses from Lidl are fine and give good protection for only 3 Euro but wouldn't recommend there waterproof clothes.
    You also get 2 free services in the Giant shop.

Advertisement