Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tinting?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

just changed my car and was going to get the windows tinted. nothing mad just light smoke.

what is the law now regarding them as i had to remove the tints on my last car on the passenger window and driver window. is any tinting on them allowed now?

also who is best to do the job? dont mind paying a bit extra for a good job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Explained here http://www.visionfx.ie/index.php?loc=13
    That Dublin crowd have been recommended here before.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

From an RSA website.

Window Tinting

Excessively tinted windscreens or front side windows present a significant safety hazard for vehicle drivers and their occupants. Visibility is greatly reduced, particularly for night time driving and at times of low light. There are also enforcement issues for An Garda Síochána in regard to driver recognition, the detection of driving offences e.g. holding a mobile phone while driving, and other criminal activity.

If the NCT vehicle inspector deems that the windscreen or front side windows are excessively tinted the level of light transmission of the window will be tested. The glass in the windscreen and front side windows will be required to have a light transmission level of not less than 65% in order to pass the NCT test. Tinting of these windows must not be greater than 35%.Unfortunately the National Car Testing Regulations do not allow for any exemptions in this regard.

I got my tints done there about a week ago by SolarCare in Drogheda (his name is Luke Hunter). I think he will travel around.

I got him to strip tints off my back door windows, and re-tint them darker, and add a dark-ish tint onto the front windows, too (I know it'll need to be stripped off for the NCT, but I don't think I'll ever get any hassle from a Garda for them).

I was very, very happy with the job he did for me. Really pleased and would happily recommend the chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had all-round tints in my 06 Passat for years (was the lowest level though - 35% I think) and never had any trouble about it, except having to get them stripped off for the NCT

Going to get them done on the A6 now as well which is a trickier job I gather but used Autoflair for my first A6 in the summer and it was perfect. Previously used Shades for the Passat and it was a great job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

What's the going rate to get say the 3 back windows done? Thinking might do my car. And blue car I guess a light smoke would be grand?
    Cheers
    Gavin

• Advertisement
Advertisement