Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a GSM 900/1800/2100 repeater in Ireland

Options
  • 23-09-2012 9:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI folks ,

I was looking into installing one of these into the house as my mobile signal is brutal , and stumbled across a thread from 2008 but there was no real hard evidence that they cant be used

What are the legalities of using these in Ireland ? and if they are not allowed to be used here could anyone point me to the section on Comreg's site as I have been looking and cant find much info.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

HI folks ,

I was looking into installing one of these into the house as my mobile signal is brutal , and stumbled across a thread from 2008 but there was no real hard evidence that they cant be used

What are the legalities of using these in Ireland ? and if they are not allowed to be used here could anyone point me to the section on Comreg's site as I have been looking and cant find much info.

Cheers

Its not illegal to own one but it is illegal to operate one as you are rebroadcasting the Networks licensed frequency.

I don't think there is anything specific about repeaters but there is definitely something about rebroadcasting a licensed frequency somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

That's interesting. I wouldn't have considered it "rebroadcasting", but rather broadcast amplification.

I would definitely be interested to know the legalities on this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That's interesting. I wouldn't have considered it "rebroadcasting", but rather broadcast amplification.

I would definitely be interested to know the legalities on this one.

Searching through the previous threads , a lot of people say there illegal but I cant really find anything on Comreg website , I have emailed them today to see what the story is .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is illegal in the sense that networks are exclusively allocated the right to broadcast on those frequencies when they buy the spectrum off Comreg. As to Comreg getting off their arses to enforce that exclusivity, never heard of it happening bar with pirate FM stations on occasion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just to follow up on this :

Here is what Comreg say

Dear Mr XXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

Both the possession and use of mobile phone repeaters is a criminal offence under Section 3 of the Wireless Telegraphy Acts, 1926 to 2009. Only mobile phone operators are permitted to install mobile phone repeaters, but those repeaters that they install must only operate in the spectrum for which the operator is licensed.

I hope this answers your query. If you any further questions, please contact interference@comreg.ie

Rgds

Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Just to follow up on this :

Here is what Comreg say

Dear Mr XXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

Both the possession and use of mobile phone repeaters is a criminal offence under Section 3 of the Wireless Telegraphy Acts, 1926 to 2009. Only mobile phone operators are permitted to install mobile phone repeaters, but those repeaters that they install must only operate in the spectrum for which the operator is licensed.

I hope this answers your query. If you any further questions, please contact interference@comreg.ie

Rgds

Una

Nough said so, I never thought of the Wireless Telegraphy Act, I was looking at the broadcasting ones more so.

They do interfere though, i edited my initial reply earlier in the post as it was a bit much, what happens is when you, if you want, 'Relay' your local cell, that cell has a Cell ID, so when the network goes to terminate a call (locates the call recipient on the network to pass the incoming call to) the technology gets confused as it sees the cell ID twice and the call drops as it cannot connect the call, they in turn make a complaint to there operator.

If the operator installs the repeater they can label it appropriately, IE local cell ID 1234 would be 1234_1, when people use repeaters, plenty have, it just causes hassle for the other customer's in the area, though the person using the repeater would have no issues and would be unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

If possible, you should consider the Vodafone SureSignal unit... I (for various reasons) previously avoided it, and went down the GSM repeater unit path via http://www.mobilerepeatershop.com/. It turned out to be a colossal waste of time, effort and money, and the company are a joke.. In desperation, I finally ordered SureSignal and it works great (obviously it requires broadband and a vodaphone contract), but it's well worth considering if you are stuck.

http://www.vodafone.ie/mobilephoneservices/suresignal/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They do interfere though
    In some areas the interference is ALREADY so bad that the Mobile Networks will eventually have to hand over the suspects names and addresses to Comreg and Comreg will then come calling to raid houses and remove these repeaters as well as issue summonses and court cases will ensue.

They only need to do a few headline grabbing raids and you may be one of the unlucky ones. But they gotcha easy if they choose. :)

You cannot be done for having a repeater supplied by YOUR network, eg a Vodafone Suresignal.

Advertisement