Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

£9.6million bill for Mutu

• 06-06-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭

Romania striker Adrian Mutu has been ordered to pay his former club Chelsea £9.6m for testing positive for cocaine, according to his lawyer.

Chelsea sacked Mutu in October 2004 and he was subsequently handed a seven-month worldwide football ban.

His lawyer Cristian Sarbu said Fifa's decision was not final and that Mutu would contest the ruling.

"This is a decision taken by a sporting tribunal. After this is final, this can be taken to a civil court," he said.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled last May that the world football body would decide Mutu's fine.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ouch. Is there any precedent for a company fining an employee after they've fired him for breaking the law?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I can't see that fine standing up in court, because it seems to me that it is effectively punishing Mutu because Chelsea paid a large transfer fee for him, which isn't his fault. The only thing he is responsible for is breaking the terms of his contract. As such I would expect that the maximum fine he could legally be required to pay would be the remaining value of his contract, which would have been considerably less than £9.6m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As such I would expect that the maximum fine he could legally be required to pay would be the remaining value of his contract, which would have been considerably less than £9.6m

I wouldnt be so sure. I've no idea how long he had left on his contract at the time but I'd say he was on decent money. £60k a week is £3m a year,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Actually you're right, had a moment of numerical retardation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Uber ouch, thats mental :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Sheesh,that drug is hell expensive thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Stekelly wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure. I've no idea how long he had left on his contract at the time but I'd say he was on decent money. £60k a week is £3m a year,

But was he paid that amount?

The simple fact is, this won't stand up in a civil court. Mutu received none of the money for his transfer (well maybe a percentage, but for sake of argument we'll assume that's not a significant chunk of the pie), and yet because Chelsea ditched him, he is effectively being asked to pay for himself.

That's like buying a defective woolly jumper, and suing the sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

davyjose wrote: »
    But was he paid that amount?

The simple fact is, this won't stand up in a civil court. Mutu received none of the money for his transfer (well maybe a percentage, but for sake of argument we'll assume that's not a significant chunk of the pie), and yet because Chelsea ditched him, he is effectively being asked to pay for himself.

That's like buying a defective woolly jumper, and suing the sheep.
    Chelsea i think were the 1st to decide players who do drugs or fail tests are auto sacked so its probably in the contract somewhere that he has to pay what was left on his contract.

just a random bad guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Mutu deserves it!

as for it standing in court...maybe it's like a partnership agreement where the other can be sued for loss of earnings? and i imagine you can be sued for financial loss anyway - he committed the offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus that's a cnut!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Actually you're right, had a moment of numerical retardation there.

I read somewhere else that the remainder of his contract was only £8m, which strangely enough was all Chelsea had asked for. It doesn't seem to explain where the extra £1.6m comes from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I read somewhere else that the remainder of his contract was only £8m, which strangely enough was all Chelsea had asked for. It doesn't seem to explain where the extra £1.6m comes from.
    My random bad guess was correct then

Advertisement