Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finnan may be back.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He dropped us for his club career, and now he knows his time is up at Liverpool, so he's coming crawling back.....

Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Welcome back Steve.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good player to have back.

Now for Ireland

Andy O'Brien can stayed retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I find it very disconcerting that these lads cant just make their minds up one way or another. It seems they are not too pushed about coming back to play, so will they be fully committed on the field? A lack of commitment among some players had been a major negative to the team in recent campaign imo. I'd prefer to give a chance to lads with something to prove and who really want to play for the jersey, rather that a half-hearted few that cant make their minds up...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

kerash wrote: »
    I find it very disconcerting that these lads cant just make their minds up one way or another. It seems they are not too pushed about coming back to play, so will they be fully committed on the field? A lack of commitment among some players had been a major negative to the team in recent campaign imo. I'd prefer to give a chance to lads with something to prove and who really want to play for the jersey, rather that a half-hearted few that cant make their minds up...

I'd agree with you if we had enthusiastic players who were as good as them. we need the likes of finnan and ireland at the moment, we've no one to replace them with really

When the two Reid's get back Ireland wouldn;t get into our team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ireland would be a great addition if he wasnt so unstable...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

When the two Reid's get back Ireland wouldn;t get into our team.

Do you really think Stephen Reid is a better player than Ireland? Really?

In pure football terms leaving aside attitudes/dead relatives etc, i think stephen Ireland is a far better player.

Andy Reid and Ireland would be our best midfield i think. Reid for intelligent play and Ireland for energy and going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It would be very easy to be demoralised playing for a crappy team under Stan, Finnan won't be the last player to turn his back on his International career, even our best player ever did so....

simonw wrote: »
    Do you really think Stephen Reid is a better player than Ireland? Really?

In pure football terms leaving aside attitudes/dead relatives etc, i think stephen Ireland is a far better player.

Andy Reid and Ireland would be our best midfield i think. Reid for intelligent play and Ireland for energy and going forward

I think if luck is with Ireland through his career he could develop into an amazing player. Like actually into a genuine very good respected player, but Reid at this moment suits the balance of the team. I think S. Reid is a really good midfielder, who just lacks a few things which prevents him from being a really top central player.

I'm not saying the very thought of Ireland playing is absurd, just if given the choice I would play Andy Reid and Steven Reid in the middle.

If however we could be 90% certain Ireland would perform the way he did against Man Utd at OT this year, I would pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

zAbbo wrote: »
    It would be very easy to be demoralised playing for a crappy team under Stan, Finnan won't be the last player to turn his back on his International career, even our best player ever did so....

Paul McGrath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chippy ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Giles?

No Roy Keane

Won the premiership 7 times, 1 champions league and 4 fa cups

Just to remind the 3 lads above who clearly forgot about him!

I disagree, I do not think he was Ireland's best player, certainly most decorated but not best. And he did not wint those trophies on their own.

I would sort of agree with that.

I Can't really comment on Brady, Giles and McGrath as they were well past their best/retired before I got into football and can't really judge by grainy youtube highlight clips

Well you will be pleased to know that there was football before the premiership :)

Ah yes cause I denied there ever was

or maybe I admitted my age

Grainy youtube footage ? Paul McGrath ? Well past his best, certainly was not fit but never lost it in his head and was always well able even towards the end at Sheffield. was one of villas best defenders in years, finished there in 96 wasn't it, so yeah, showing your age a bit I would say, would make you about 12-16 or older if not into footy until late into your teens to not have seen him at his best.

22, not into footy until you were a teenager then ! Fair enough.

I can remember McGrath having a great game against Italy in World Cup 1994 but I'm being led to believe he was better and more consistent before that, yes?

• Advertisement

22, not into footy until you were a teenager then ! Fair enough.

but I just said I remember him in the world cup 1994 which would of made me 8 at that time

So I did see him in his prime, fair enough my bad. Keane was a better player

Point still stands about Brady and Giles

That you did not see them is hardly my fault. Was Keane a better player than best ? You probably did not see him in his prime except for in grainy pictures on youtube, does that mean he is not as good ? Just curious.

Have you heard of this lad called Pele BTW, Manoel Francisco dos Santos by any chance?

Sorry, a little facetious there but I am sure you know what I mean.

My point is I can not say. Football is one of the most opinionated subjects out there. People disagree about loads of things and players. Why should I go on 2nd hand views and highlights of stuff only showing the good things of players?

and yes I have heard of the history side of things. I'm just not willing to say I'm a know it all about them because I watched them feck all

As a matter of interest, how often did you see Liam Brady in full 90 minute matches?

I would say more than 15 live and many many more on the box.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That you did not see them is hardly my fault. Was Keane a better player than best ? You probably did not see him in his prime except for in grainy pictures on youtube, does that mean he is not as good ? Just curious.

Have you heard of this lad called Pele BTW, Manoel Francisco dos Santos by any chance?

Sorry, a little facetious there but I am sure you know what I mean.

**** sake Pele, everyone quotes him... Not a patch on Diego.

Are you comparing Robbie Keane and Best?

I would say more than 15 live and many many more on the box.

Fair enough you can have your own opinion on him. but I do find it bizarre when you have kids arguing over who is better Maradona or Pele when all they have seen is a goal or 2 from both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Denis Irwin. best Irish player ever. FACT!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unearthly wrote: »
    Fair enough you can have your own opinion on him. but I do find it bizarre when you have kids arguing over who is better Maradona or Pele when all they have seen is a goal or 2 from both

I've prob seen every goal on film scored by the two of them, old job i had. And Diego was amazing, so too was Alfredo Di Stefano. My two favourite players.

But yeah good news about finnan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lordgoat wrote: »
    I've prob seen every goal on film scored by the two of them

ah but did you see every goal they DIDN'T score?

• Advertisement
Advertisement