Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 EDT lesson requirement

• 04-12-2013 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Sorry but I couldn't find answer to this.

Is this required only for first time learner permit holders or does it apply to everyone who is on a provisional/learner permit, be it their second or third?

Comments

Far as I know it applies to everyone whose first permit was issued to them after the date it started (April 4th, 2011).

So effectively, and again I could be wrong here, if you got your first permit issued to you before that date, you're okay to do no lessons if you see fit, but if your first permit was issued after that date, then you must comply with the 12 EDT lessons.

Again, I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

KKV is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Far as I know it applies to everyone whose first permit was issued to them after the date it started (April 4th, 2011).

So effectively, and again I could be wrong here, if you got your first permit issued to you before that date, you're okay to do no lessons if you see fit, but if your first permit was issued after that date, then you must comply with the 12 EDT lessons.

Again, I'm open to correction on that.

I thought the requirement was that you needs to fill your book. That there were 12 pages to be filled out but it was not 1 page per lesson per say.
    For example if you made no progress between lessons you would not get signed off on a particular stage or skill. Likewise if you made good progress and were a fast learner you could be signed on for two skills in one lesson, but it would be on your instuctors head. I believe that there was an additional change recently for even newer driver that requires that they also have a sponsor meet the 2 years qualified period to supervise their driving between lesson. Any change in the pass rate with all these changes? :confused:

I thought the requirement was that you needs to fill your book. That there were 12 pages to be filled out but it was not 1 page per lesson per say.
    For example if you made no progress between lessons you would not get signed off on a particular stage or skill. Likewise if you made good progress and were a fast learner you could be signed on for two skills in one lesson, but it would be on your instuctors head.

This was briefly the case. But was stopped very soon after the EDT started. It is supposed to be one hour = one EDT. But the syllabus is badly flawed and it is not always possible to teach someone turnabouts and reverse around a corner within one hour.

I believe that there was an additional change recently for even newer driver that requires that they also have a sponsor meet the 2 years qualified period to supervise their driving between lesson.

This was always the case.

Any change in the pass rate with all these changes? :confused:

No significant change.

No significant change.

Really my sis has been taking lesson without a sponsor. When I saw her she had never even heard of the rule. Weird that a qualified instuctor didn't mention it.

• Advertisement

Really my sis has been taking lesson without a sponsor. When I saw her she had never even heard of the rule. Weird that a qualified instuctor didn't mention it.

Your quote is confusing. But I would be surprised if the ADI didn't mention it. With no disrespect to your sister, she possibly didn't remember the detail. People are given a huge amount of information in their first lesson ( too much ). She would presumably be aware that she is supposed to be practicing with a licenced driver. It is also written all over the logbook. Alternatively she got her learner permit before 2011.

Your quote is confusing. But I would be surprised if the ADI didn't mention it. With no disrespect to your sister, she possibly didn't remember the detail. People are given a huge amount of information in their first lesson ( too much ). She would presumably be aware that she is supposed to be practicing with a licenced driver. It is also written all over the logbook. Alternatively she got her learner permit before 2011.

Not exactly sure when she got her learner permit. She does not own a car and has not been practicing between lesson. I asked her about it last week when visiting my parents. She would have had more than one lesson but no idea how many in total.

Advertisement