Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish driving licenses...

• 12-02-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys,
    Im after ordering the new "cool" Irish driving licenses that came in effect at the start of the year, Im just wondering do any of ye know the waiting times to get them back? Its just the old ones were so fast etc etc.. and Im wondering will I be waiting long more!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's usually 2 weeks from what I heard op

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

I got my licence in 3 days very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Patr2

Faith+1 wrote: »
    It's usually 2 weeks from what I heard op

Thanks! I should be getting it soon so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

In 3 days?? Surely you mean the old type licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Patr2

el pasco wrote: »
    I got my licence in 3 days very quick

Lucky you! I've been waiting around 12 or so days :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I left mine in 10 days ago, still waiting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

If you're lucky, 3 to 4 weeks. Waiting time is increasing daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

My license us up in the end of March so should I apply now due to waiting times just to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 olkiny

I applied on January 21st and am still waiting. So nearly 4 weeks now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    My license us up in the end of March so should I apply now due to waiting times just to be safe?

I would say wait - but either way when you apply you give your current licence so will be without a licence for a bit.

its really a question of if you wait longer will the queue get shorter .... given the short timeframe, I think the initial buzz/backlog will be reduced ...of course thats assuming those who recently got the paper licence and have "lost" their licence dont clog up the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 olkiny

I was on to the RSA about the new license, having applied 4 weeks ago. Despite what Longford Motor Tax office said, it turns out that the local Motor Tax office are still responsible for processing the paperwork. The new crowd in Dublin actually issue the license (as in print it). They take 3 days for the printing - any other delays are in your local Motor Tax office. Applied on January 21st, the new license was issued in Longford on Feb 13th, and received today, Feb 19th. So, the license went to Dublin for printing on Feb 13th, 3 days to turnaround and received it a day later.

Hope this helps someone, because I was told the local tax office had nothing to do with them anymore, which is not the case. I believe from September the new crowd will be responsible for processing the paperwork as well, but in the interim, it's definitely your local motor tax office doing the processing. This would also explain why some people get theirs back quicker than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Well explained olkiny. There is huge variance across the country. I was told it would be about 2 weeks when I applied and I got mine 2 weeks to the day after I applied for it. Limerick City, for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My son applied for his in Cork 4 weeks ago and still heard nothing. He passed his test in January and of course he couldn't wait to get his hands on the new piece of plastic. He is dealing with with the Cork Motor Tax Office and they sent off the certificate for passing the test and his learner permit, so now all he got is a letter that it was sent off.
    Tried ringing the number today and just rang out. Has anyone gone to the tax office and got any info from them on what's going on? Maybe I should do that during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

Faith+1 wrote: »
    In 3 days?? Surely you mean the old type licence?
    No I got the new driving licence in 3 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭tdonegan1990

What do they look like? +
    Pros/cons anyone wanna tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

johnayo wrote: »
    My son applied for his in Cork 4 weeks ago and still heard nothing. He passed his test in January and of course he couldn't wait to get his hands on the new piece of plastic. He is dealing with with the Cork Motor Tax Office and they sent off the certificate for passing the test and his learner permit, so now all he got is a letter that it was sent off.
    Tried ringing the number today and just rang out. Has anyone gone to the tax office and got any info from them on what's going on? Maybe I should do that during the week.
    I managed to get through to these guys today. They tell me that his details are up on the system and that we should get licence in 3 days. He was very non committal when I asked if that meant We would have it by Monday or Tuesday next week. My son won't be holding his breath on this one. At least I suppose i should be thankful that they have his details up on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Anyone know any times for donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Received my license today after 34 calendar days (Smithfield motor tax office).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Applied in Meath today and was told there is a 5 week backlog. I'm lucky I'm not badly in need of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sorry folks if this has been brought up before but do you need a special type of photo for these cards or will the regular passport photo (from photo booth) work ?

• Advertisement

Colour passport size photos from a photo booth are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks I see on the motor forum someone stated that the special type photos are not required until september.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I got my provisional license today, it took two weeks..

Harpy wrote: »
    I got my provisional license today, it took two weeks..

That's not too bad, what county are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Prodigious wrote: »
    That's not too bad, what county are you in?

Limerick, yeah i was surprised to get it so fast especially with good friday and the bank holiday as well..

waiting over 5 weeks and still nothing..

Lc201395 wrote: »
    waiting over 5 weeks and still nothing..

Same here. I'm in Drogheda (renewing learner permit).

bit of a joke to be quite honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'm told I would be waiting between 6-8 weeks... Ridiculous! Even a passport gets processed quicker than that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Can anyone tell me if you can post your application in (registered) or should it be hand delivered.

Heard a horror story about someone's application being lost and them having to re sit their test, not sure if this is true or not?!?)

I would imagine so because if you lose the Theory Test Certificate, there's no backup copy of it. The DTT would have no record of you being there nor you having passed the test. Best to hand it in personally. Plus your passport and evidence of address can be lost in the post which makes it more riskier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FlyAPN

Applied last MOnday in Clondalkin Motor Taxation Office and got the new plastic credit card-like license on the post on Friday morning (3 days in total). Very straight forward, even faster than what they had told me when I applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

FlyAPN wrote: »
    Applied last MOnday in Clondalkin Motor Taxation Office and got the new plastic credit card-like license on the post on Friday morning (3 days in total). Very straight forward, even faster than what they had told me when I applied.

how long did they quote you? i went in on fri afternoon to add a cat to my licence but did not know of the current SNAFU .

i need proof i passed my test for a interview but gave over this to the motor tax office with my forms.

it makes you wonder why they do not give you a copy of the cert of competency or at least write on the recipt they give you that its for a certin category licence.

suppose ill have to get onto the rsa or the motor office in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

i got a new old style license last November and the photo on it is damaged faded and unreadable.

anyone know am i entitled to look for a replacement? i reckon if a Guard sees mine they wont be impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

IrishHomer wrote: »
    i got a new old style license last November and the photo on it is damaged faded and unreadable.

anyone know am i entitled to look for a replacement? i reckon if a Guard sees mine they wont be impressed.

You are but you'll still be paying €35/€55 + €6 for photos unless you already have a couple yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Passed recently in Cork was told it would take 6 weeks to get the license but to my surprise it arrived in 2 and a half weeks:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

how long did they quote you? i went in on fri afternoon to add a cat to my licence but did not know of the current SNAFU .

i need proof i passed my test for a interview but gave over this to the motor tax office with my forms.

it makes you wonder why they do not give you a copy of the cert of competency or at least write on the recipt they give you that its for a certin category licence.

You could of photocopied the cert of competency

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FlyAPN

Hi , when I applied last Monday, they said I would be receiving it on the post within a week or 10 days, for my surprise, it was on the post Friday morning. It was a new license, I had passed my driving test earlier that day in Tallaght so I think that made it easier for them to process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

mean gene wrote: »
    You could of photocopied the cert of competency

working on that at the moment thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I applied for a B learner permit last Wednesday in Clondalkin and received it this morning in the post. Had to get my full bike licence changed following eyesight report and that also arrived this morning.

• Advertisement

Dundalk Motor Tax office is due to close for a number of days this month due to the massive backlog they are experiencing with the applications for driver's license. They even brought more staff to cope with the issue and they can't cope with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I applied for my licence renewal just over two weeks ago in Dublin and received it today, I was expecting it to be a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I was told 4 weeks in the Cork office on monday.

Same here. I'm in Drogheda (renewing learner permit).

Mine arrived yesterday. About time, too. Need it to get an insurance disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

its been nearly 4 weeks since i renewed mine..... still waiting

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    its been nearly 4 weeks since i renewed mine..... still waiting

and be prepared to keep waiting, mines only due to come tomorrow after 7 weeks...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Lc201395 wrote: »
    and be prepared to keep waiting, mines only due to come tomorrow after 7 weeks...

and I thought I was bad after 3 weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Is this just drivers license's that are taking this long or is it provisional licenses too ? I'm really counting on this a form of ID for something too.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Is this just drivers license's that are taking this long or is it provisional licenses too ? I'm really counting on this a form of ID for something too.

Provisional too. Don't hold your breath. If you're 18 your best bet is an age card, done in 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Prodigious wrote: »
    Provisional too. Don't hold your breath. If you're 18 your best bet is an age card, done in 10 days.

Bit of an exaggeration don't you think ? Waited about 4 weeks for mine last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement